Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Peeking at next week

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Peeking at next week

Postby lloydrules » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:19 pm

The Iggles have always been tough for us to beat, or at least, in the last 10-15 years, it seems. I recall beating them once in that span, but also recall them beating us, sometimes in insane, last second, on-side kick off, type losses.

For whatever reason, the Iggles give us trouble.

That being said, we have some factors going in our favor. Some not.

1. They will be coming off a MNF game vs. arch rival Dallas. And Dallas is big and physical. This will give Philly 1 less day to rest and prepare for us; Philly will be battling Dallas (hopefully) all night.

2. Philly was not the best passing D or sacking team last season. They have some good DBs, as always, but Dawkins is no longer super man status and they aren't complete studs. I think Ben is going to find some holes in their D with Holmes, Hines and Heath. They will get a couple of sacks, but it shouldn't be too crazy. And Ben can often make the first rusher miss and find the single coverage.

3. A healthy McNabb and Westbrook are very potent. This will NOT be like playing Houston or Cleveland in a tropical storm. Philly will move the ball on our D. You can expect them to put up at least 24. And watch our for rookie WR Jackson. He is the real deal. Small, yes, but super explosive, a la Steve Smith and can make huge plays just like him.

4. The spread is Philly by 3. That's about right. McNabb and the Eagles play very well with a lead. The key will be to not give it to them. If Pgh plays mistake free football, they got a shot. But they will have to put up some points to win this one.

Practice Squad

Re: Peeking at next week

Postby BeavisFour » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:03 pm

3. A healthy McNabb and Westbrook are very potent. This will NOT be like playing Houston or Cleveland in a tropical storm. Philly will move the ball on our D. You can expect them to put up at least 24. And watch our for rookie WR Jackson. He is the real deal. Small, yes, but super explosive, a la Steve Smith and can make huge plays just like him.

Westbrook scares the hell out of me. I know Texans and Brownies couldn't run the ball, but we did see couple plays where some underneath stuff to the RBs went for nice gains. Westbrook is like 2000 times better than Jamal Lewis, Ahman Green or Slaton. Westbrook also excels at catching out of the backfield.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:09 pm

lloydrules wrote:1. They will be coming off a MNF game vs. arch rival Dallas. And Dallas is big and physical. This will give Philly 1 less day to rest and prepare for us; Philly will be battling Dallas (hopefully) all night.

The one benefit for Philly is that they've only played two games so bodies are still fresh. Still, teams often struggle after playing MNF, particularly against good teams.

I'm most worried about the Philly O and Ben's shoulder.

Practice Squad

Postby CantStop39 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:11 pm

I think Timmons will b the game changer next week...he will b man on westbrook...and his speed will make westbrook less effective...

as for our D as a whole...i c us causing alot of problems w/ our pressure/packages and w/ a healthy troy...Mcnabbs gunna b runnin.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Crosby4Life » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:01 am

Philly has the type of offense that has given us fits and even wrecked entire seasons in recent years. Seems to me that out of the recent years we've missed the playoffs, they've all been a direct result of some team with a really good short passing game exposing Lebeau's scheme, and then watching our remaning opponents follow suit.

This Philly game has that potential. McNabb, Westbrook, and DeSean Jackson run that West Coast offense with an impressive amount of ease. If we don't show the rest of the league we can stop it, I think there's a strong possibility of the other teams on our schedule mimicing that, and we could see our season get unravelled quite quickly.

In short, I think this will be a very telling game for us.

Practice Squad

Postby California Still » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:00 am

Crosby makes an excellent point. The Iggles do very well what Mill has been urging Arians to do all along: get the ball into the hands of your skilled backs on routes out of the backfield.
Westbrook is a killer in this role. Furthermore, this is also the time to give Timmons his first start. There is no way-repeat-NO WAY Larry Foote can successfully contribute against this Offense. The Iggles in many ways mirror the Patsies; dink and dunk with the home-run ball always close at hand. To win this game we must score early and often while figuring some way to get McNabb under some real pressure. This will indeed be a telling game in Week 3.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby lloydrules » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:29 pm

After watching last night's game, everything I am even more concerned facing their offense. Yea, they lost (thanks for a very untimely fumble - mostly) but they showed that their O is back to being very potent, with a healthy McNabb and Westbrook. And Jackson is a son of a gun. Yea, he's a dumb kid, but he has rockets for legs and can ___BAALLLLLLL___, no two ways about it. And the comments re: how these short passing teams have creamed us over the years is right on. Granted, we had much worse DBs back then, but still, a crisp WCO can rip up our D.

Also, I believe this is a Philly team that is back to being a top NFC team, like they were a few years ago. And that being said, I don't see them losing twice in a row and at home to boot. I'm not conceding a loss here, but it's certainly a challenge to say the least.

Return to Stillers Talk