Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Week 2- Browns vs. Steelers Postgame Thoughts and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Week 2- Browns vs. Steelers Postgame Thoughts and Grades

Postby No l Gravity l » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:57 pm

Quarterbacks
Ben Roethlisberger- B. It was an ugly game but Ben once again managed a passer rating above 100 (113.0) and completed his 3rd straight touchdown pass to Hines. Who needs a tall receiver in the redzone? His completion percentage would've been a lot better too had it not been for at least 3 drops.

Runningbacks
Willie Parker- B. A pretty solid effort from Parker once again. Not as impressive as Week 1 but he still managed to put up 105 yards. You might be thinking that he 28 attempts which only averages about 3.75 YPC but Tomlin's gameplan to not use an injured Ben a great deal in the game was pretty obvious from the start. FWP converted on a gutsy 4th and 1 to the outside which was big. If only he could've pulled in that deep pass from Big Ben :roll: .

Receivers
Santonio Holmes- B+. Very solid game and was the guy that was pretty much moving us down the field. His 47 yard reception was an amazing catch. Managed a little under 100 yards.
Hines Ward- B-. Come on Hines you got to hold on to those balls. Dropped a pretty easy first down pass early and a touchdown pass in the 2nd quarter. However, he did make up for it on the same drive scoring his 3rd touchdown of the season. His 30 yard catch from our own endzone was very nice as well. Props to our offensive line for giving Ben enough time to find an open man.
Nate Washington- F. Had an opportunity that wasn't really well thrown so I should cut him some slack. However, until he can prove that hes something other than a wasted roster space (as well as wasted player on the field), I'll have to give him an F from now on. ZERO catches in the last 3 games. Baker...Sweed...Buhhhllerrrr :geek: ???
Heath Miller- B. Was used mainly to protect Roethlisberger from Cleveland's nonexistant pass rush but managed a pair of grabs, both with a good chunk of yardage.

Offensive Line- B-. The Browns defensive front only managed to get to get to Ben twice not including that roughing the passer penalty that was never called where a large fatass blantantly hit Ben in his throwing shoulder. Not a bad effort creating wholes for Parker with Cleveland's unbalanced line. Gave Ben a lot of time on most of our passing downs.

Defensive Line- A. These guys played really well. Jamal Lewis was contained with under 40 yards and Aaron Smith managed a pair of sacks. I actually take back what I said about Keisel. With him out with a calf injury, Cleveland's offense seemed to generate a little more flow than earlier in the game.

Linebackers- C. No sacks for my boys? Farrior led the team in tackles with 5 with Foote and Harrison right behind. Woodley didn't do much. The pass rush wasn't good but they were able to find some way to disrupt DA.

Defensive Backs- B+. Played very well early in the game. McFadden was able to get his first INT of the season in his first start of the year from a sailing, high thrown ball. I don't know if the wind carried it or if Anderson just sucks that bad. Polamalu was able to grab his 2nd INT (a very clutch one at that) in his 2nd straight game. Looks like his special offseason training is paying off :sufu: . Hope Clark is ok...

Special Teams
Return Units- D-. Anyone get the feeling that the game plan was to run away from the punts? Mewelde Moore looked clueless that there. I don't know if Tomlin was playing it safe and not telling him to return anything but it almost turned into disaster after Mendenhall tripped over Carey Davis' leg and had the ball bounce off of his helmet and almost into the Cleveland endzone. :supissed:
Coverage Units- A. Cribbs was absolutely shut down in the game. Reed set the tone from the start booming his first kickoff beyond the endzone. Glad to see Cribbs get a little shaken up immediately after that cheap shot on Ben.
Last edited by No l Gravity l on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Week 3- Browns vs. Steelers Postgame Thoughts and Grades

Postby steelwest » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:34 pm

Nice post. Hopefully, the weather conditions contributed to the ugliness of the effort as the Browns looked much more formidable against us than against the Cowboys. To some extent, this is understandable as they had been pointing to this game, and they know the Steelers, their tendencies, and their personnel much better than they do the Cowboys.

However, as others have noted, we need to expand the offense beyond Willie, Ben, Santonio, and Hines. Look at the Giants for example. They play three RBs, four wide-outs, and have a fairly consistent O-Line. That is what the NFL is all about now. It is not about an overabudnance of carries for Parker, throwing only to two receivers and maybe a tight end, and otherwise hoping the Defense stops the other side cold.

I suspect the conservative approach was due to conditions and the desire not to allow young mistakes to turn the game, but those same thoughts allow teams we are better than to stay in the game and potentially to win if a fumble or interception comes their way -- which is inevitable over a sixteen game season.

Let's celebrate the win. Let's hope Ben gets healthy.

But realistically unless this team gets much more out of its additional personnel, we have only limited upside.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby catesinator » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:04 pm

It's week 2 dude. Not week 3.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:25 pm

catesinator wrote:It's week 2 dude. Not week 3.

Just shows you how hard it was for me to write anything (good or bad) about this game :celebrate:

Stillers.com Team

Re: Week 2- Browns vs. Steelers Postgame Thoughts and Grades

Postby thesteelhammer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:10 pm

Nice write up.

We need to find a return man. It about cost us this game.

LB's problem was over pursuit. Normally our guys are athleic enough to compensate for their over pursuit, but on a wet field, they couldn't change directions fast enough.
Woodley slipping on that cut back run is the most obvious example.

Return to Stillers Talk