Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Ben tops hard hat trio of nominees

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Ben tops hard hat trio of nominees

Postby Homer J » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:17 am

Hard Hat Nominees:

1. Benji: Playing with an injured shoulder in the remnants of a hurricane - with the wind swirling and the rain blowing sideways - he went 12-19-0 with 1 TD and a 113.0 rating. A couple of those passes were dropped, and the strong winds took away many of his passing options, because you can't easily thread the needle in a crosswind. It may not have looked great to you, but it was a great performance.

2. Keyaron Fox for the Special Teams. They've improved 100% from last year in coverage, and that's been the biggest change from last year to this year. He'll share the award with Woodley, who staved off disaster by knocking that live football out of bounds on the kickoff, and with Silverback, who broke Josh Cribbs in half, and with Reed, who kicked a 48 yarder in a monsoon and put all his kickoffs into the end zone. For the first time I can remember, it's fun watching the coverage teams.

3. Hines and Santonio. As Roy and Dale would sing, no matter what the weather, as long as they're together, it's happy trails for us whenever the Steelers visit Ohio. The Zen master and his excellent student excel in hard hat stuff, like playing in bad weather, blocking, and getting their bells rung only to come back and make TD catches - like Hinesy did last night. They are so good and so professional, it's almost scary.

I know that leaves the Fast One off the list, and all he did last night was run his ass off -- or at least till there was a hole in the back of his pants -- getting to the century mark in all that muck and mire -- handling every rushing attempt save one. That would be good enough for the HHA most weeks, but Fast Willie is a selfless guy and he won it last week. The Steelers have quickly become a brotherhood, and Parker would gladly allow his teammates a shot at the award this week.

Practice Squad

Re: Ben tops hard hat trio of nominees

Postby BeavisFour » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:49 am

Silverback?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:27 pm

For this week, I put Silverback in there at number two with the special teams for the Cribbs crunch. At number two. The LB's kept the run gains short and played back in a lot of pass protection, so they didn't have the game they had a week ago.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:33 pm

Homer J wrote:3. Hines and Santonio.

Hines had two drops and cannot possibly qualify for the hard hat. The two drops were of Nate Washington quality which equals automatic disqualification.

I don't disagree with Santonio at #3 though.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:50 pm

O Line gets the nod. yea i know ben got sacked three times BUUUT..... he had ALL DAY LONG ON MANY MANY MANY PASSING ATTEMPTS.

re watch the game... no one would ever have thought ben would have all day against such a monster D line....browns d line is scary good.

when ben through from the end zone......to hines.....thirty yard pass....he was sitting in the endzone LITERALLY long enough to finish a cup of coffee. i thought they would sack him for a safety for sure.

i was wrong.

o line if they dont hold ben maybe gets the ball to the one or two yard line and we punt short and the clowns score an easy TD on us.

that play may have been the best play all game .

and the o line made it happen

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:53 pm

also it looked to me and i may be incorrect but it seemed that troy P had two stops behind the line of scrimmage two passes defensed and an interception.

he seemed to be EVERYWHERE on the field

i think much more studying will be needed this week before a hard hat is given out

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:11 pm

My three nominees for the award are ~

Ben
Troy
Santonio

I would not be upset, however, if Silverback was thrown in there.

Although I agree with Hi5 that our O-Line did very well in protecting Ben during his time in the end zone, they did allow some sacks on Ben, so they're out of the running this week, in my opinion. :lol:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby ILLSTILL » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:04 pm

I'd give the hard hat to polamalu without a doubt if he wouldn't have made himself look like an idiot on that tipped ball. Exactly why didn't he just take Winslow to the ground as soon as the ball was tipped? That was infuriating.

The O-line was decent, but the pass rush was just gawdawful. It seems that will continue to be a huge weakness of ours.

My hard hat goes out to Ryan Clark and Bryant McFadden, who were very consistent and played extremely well considering Anderson had infinity to throw on just about every snap in the first 3 quarters.

Hines Ward in at a close 2nd.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:12 pm

Nice call on Fox. Me and a Browns fans had a conversation about him at the game. The guy was like "who is that #57, he's killing our return game?"

Return to Stillers Talk