Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » steelers pass blocking 2007-2008

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

steelers pass blocking 2007-2008

Postby darthsteel » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:41 am

so far the steelers are giving up a 1 sack per 7 pass attempts, in 2007 they gave up 1 sack per 8.5 pass attemps.

Rite now there are only 3 other teams in the leage that have given up more sacks per pass attemps so far this season, considering ben is already injured to the point of him not being able to practice,i think this is a very alarming fact.

Rite now the media is glossing over this oline and say how good its playing ect.. , but if the stillers lost these 2 first games the media would be hammering the pass protection .

It is rediculous for the media to give this line kudos when they have given up 5 sacks in 35 dropbacks

peyton mannings line has been getting killed for thier lack of pass protection this season and he has dropped back 92 times while being sacked 4 times(that is once every 23 dropbacks).Ben has been sacked 5 times on 33 attemps!

Seasoned Veteran

Re: steelers pass blocking 2007-2008

Postby Crosby4Life » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:49 am

Not to dispute your point, because I really have no idea, and I doubt this stat is even available, but I'd like to see the average amount of time these two QBs hold onto the ball per attempt.

I've been travelling during both Steeler games, so I haven't seen either to form an opinion, but I know from past years that Peyton tends to get the ball out much quicker than most QBs.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:56 am

Figures can be deceiving. And as Scripture tells us, "be not deceived."

Roethlisberger still holds on to the ball longer than most quarterbacks, and waits for his receivers to come open. He doesn't throw the ball away that much, and he doesn't gamble. That's a big reason for at least some of the sacks.

Last night, he had zero picks again.

The statistical sample you are using is way too small. It's too early to compare the numbers.

You are telling me to believe your numbers over my own lying eyes. Your numbers show that after two games - one played in the remnants of a hurricane - the number of sacks per pass attempt is slightly higher than last year's percentage. My eyes tell me that Hartwig is a huge improvement over Mahan, and that Kemo is every bit as good in pass protection as Faneca was last year. The offensive line has better players this year, but with two new faces it will take a little time to adjust and become a unit. They will get better, and Ben will have much better pass protection this year than last. [/color]

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:21 am

Homer J wrote:Figures can be deceiving. And as Scripture tells us, "be not deceived."

Roethlisberger still holds on to the ball longer than most quarterbacks, and waits for his receivers to come open. He doesn't throw the ball away that much, and he doesn't gamble. That's a big reason for at least some of the sacks.

Last night, he had zero picks again.

The statistical sample you are using is way too small. It's too early to compare the numbers.

You are telling me to believe your numbers over my own lying eyes. Your numbers show that after two games - one played in the remnants of a hurricane - the number of sacks per pass attempt is slightly higher than last year's percentage. My eyes tell me that Hartwig is a huge improvement over Mahan, and that Kemo is every bit as good in pass protection as Faneca was last year. The offensive line has better players this year, but with two new faces it will take a little time to adjust and become a unit. They will get better, and Ben will have much better pass protection this year than last. [/color]

Your crazy bro!

anderson dropped back more times then ben in the same weather and was not sacked once until the last 2 plays of the game, your excuse does not cut it!
stop with the holding the ball to long, romo was not sacked once and he held the ball longer then possibly anyone has ever held a ball in a proffesional game last week!
The pass protection is pathetic as usual!
There would be more sacks if ben was not getting rid of the ball as fast as he has so far this season, open your eyes and take off the blinders!

you guys need to get a clue , do the dam math!

you were rite my math was off it was even worse!

2007 38 attemps divided by 5 sacks = 1 every 7.6

2008 451 attemps divided by 47 sacks = 1 every 9.5

manning
2008 95 attemps divided by 4 sacks = 1 every 23.75

Stats are up 1/2 hr after the game, what are you people living under a rock?

Rite now ben is the most sacked qb per attemp in the leage through 2 games which is alarming taking into account they were one of the worst pass blocking offenses in the leage last season!

How can someone hold onto the ball to long when hes got a defender 3 feet away on his blindside by his third step back?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:46 am

I'm not sure what Anderson has to do with this. The Steelers didn't blitz as much as usual, and you're absolutely right: they didn't get to him. They laid back and put more men in pass coverage. And it was disconcerting to see the time and protection that Anderson has versus what Benji had. Of course, Ben got off the long gains and had no picks. Anderson had a pocketful of nickles and dimes...and had his pocket picked twice, by Troy and BMac.

Last night's game was an aberration because of the weather. Only 16 points were scored, and it seemed like there were 77 exchanges of punts. I'm not saying to throw those figures out, just keep in mind the weather and the fact that the Browns did a lot of blitzing to make up for their untested secondary.

But I guess the key here is this: do you think this year's line is better than last year's? Is Hartwig a step up from Mahan? Is Kemo on par with Faneca on pass protection? Do you think this year's OL will get better and jell as a unit the more they play together? I think the answer is to all those questions is yes.
As far as the question you are asking: should Ben be getting better pass protection, of course the answer to that is also yes. But if they can protect him next week against the Iggles, things will get better as we go along.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:52 am

The run blocking looks vey good ,but the pass blocking looks the same.

Ben could be on the shelf because of this line, there is no way to suger coat 5 sacks in 38 drop backs. I am also leaving out about 5 times ben was knocked down, that is just not good!

In the houston game most of the passes were 3 step drop short quick passes, I think he mite have had about 4 total plays where he could scan the field and go through his progressions during the first 2 games.

Practice Squad

Postby BeavisFour » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:48 am

I'm with darth here on this one.

I don't know if all his numbers are right, so I'll just take it that they are. Brownies and Texans don't have a great pass rush. I know they were supposed to and everyone was hyping both those teams, but really besides a few exceptions on those teams, the majority of their D is scrubs.

Kemo looks pretty good. Hartwig didn't look good yesterday, but playing vs Rogers, I didn't expect him too. Kemo has been the only solid one.

Guess we'll see next week when someone brings real defense.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:46 pm

browns and texans have two SUPER D LINES.

this may make things look worse for us.

other teams spend their money on offense so those better teams will have a worse d line than those two

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:21 pm

With a season passer rating of 136.3 and a 2-0 record are you really worried?

I understand the health aspects, but Ben got injured on a fluke play where his arm got chicken-winged as he was tackled and that caused the injury -- it wasn't due to repeated pounding.

If you want to pull raw stats, Ben is on pace to be sacked fewer times than in each of the past two seasons. If you factor in Hi5's comments, that we faced two premier defensive fronts, then you'd expect even fewer sacks/game as the season progresses.

I'd forget the sacks/pass attempt stat for now, as Homer J mentioned, your current sample is too small after just two games. Worry for Ben's health, but don't be caught up in sack totals.... yet.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:22 am

philly . baltimore and the jags all have better pass rushes then the first 2 opponents and thier next on the schedule.
the texans had 31 sacks last season , so all of a sudden thier the 85 bears?They have one pass rusher and 3 run stoppers on that line, thats why mario had 15 sacks last yr and the rest of the team had 16.
the cowboys were sacked zero times by the brownies last week folks!

giants, colts, chargers, cowboys, eagles, baltimore, and jacksonville all have better pass rushes then the first 2 opponets and that is a reason for concern since losing ben for an exstended period of time could be the difference between the superowl and no superbowl.

ben had a 104 rating last yr and the stillers were 10-6 , I dont see the point of those two stats to be honest. they could go 16-0 while giving up 50 sacks, the main problem is bens health when it comes to sacks!

Return to Stillers Talk