Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » 2 and 0 Baby

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

2 and 0 Baby

Postby trenches » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:39 pm

Today's win was sloppy but it's a win. Regardless of the style, the outcome is huge since 2-0 for the Stillers and 0-2 for the Clowns puts them behind an early season 8-ball. Given the schedule, I'll talk all the wins we can get early!

Let's see how Ben's shoulder is after a gutsy effort.

Also, let's see how the team's mental state is... this is no time to grow swollen heads!

The team did come up big when needed and a huge positive is that Troy looked like Troy for most of the game! :suplusone:

:sudancin:

Stillers.com Team

Re: 2 and 0 Baby

Postby Nel » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:47 pm

Ben credited the Stains D in his postgame interview.

That was classy, but I am not sure it explains the game.

I thought the Stillers D was great today, for the most part. The two picks may have saved it for us.

Practice Squad

Postby derfsandmuskie » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:55 pm

Todays win was a combo of BB shoulder, Browns D, which can be good and the weather. Not a time to take on an attidude and say we are the class of the AFC. We have some tough games coming up. Troy was good tonight, love to see him play well!!!
Derfsandmuskie=aboyandhisdog

Grizzled Veteran

Postby indysteel » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:57 pm

I would not get too excited.....

They won...and we'll take 'em any way we can; however, they looked a bit uninspired to me tonight (typical after they dominate the team the week before).

Ben's shoulder is a huge issue. Anyone know if we are going to have to play Lefty for a few weeks to let Ben's shoulder heal?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:15 am

Today's win was sloppy but it's a win

Sloppy weather, maybe, but not sloppy execution.

Ben was playing with an injured shoulder - in the remnants of a hurricane - and he didn't turn the ball over at all. The weather conditions took away a lot of the Steeler playbook -- a lot of those precision passes simply can't be used in swirling, gale force winds. You cant thread the needle when the wind and rain are blowing sideways. He took what he had available to him.

Okay, I'll agree that I was holding my breath whenever Cleveland kicked off or punted, and I wanted to kill Corey Davis, but that was the extent of the sloppiness, and that was obviously all about the swirling, gale force winds and rain. And I didn't see the defense put enough pressure put on Anderson, which worries me.

But to me, the biggest cause for celebration (even more than Troy's play) is the emergence of a kick ass coverage unit on special teams. Two games in a row with great performances. Silverback broke Cribbs like a twig.

They took the lead, and played smart football. They were ready again this week, and showed intensity. They are a much better team that last year's bunch. So long as Ben stays reasonably healthy.

Practice Squad

Postby SNW » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:11 am

3 and O in hurricane like conditions. Including two hurricanes.
9 and O in Ohio.
15-1 as a rookie.
Youngest QB to win a Superbowl.
Ect.
Ect.
Ect.
It's Big Ben.
What next?

Practice Squad

Postby dave8105 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:27 am

But to me, the biggest cause for celebration (even more than Troy's play) is the emergence of a kick ass coverage unit on special teams. Two games in a row with great performances. Silverback broke Cribbs like a twig.

Did you see the lick Harrison put on Cribbs on his last return??? Ouch!!

Cautious about Bens Shoulder. It took some damage again tonight. First sack he fell straigh down on his elbow and it looked painful. Guess we'll hear about it in the press conference tomorrow.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:55 pm

Homer J wrote:
Today's win was sloppy but it's a win

Ben was playing with an injured shoulder - in the remnants of a hurricane - and he didn't turn the ball over at all. The weather conditions took away a lot of the Steeler playbook -- a lot of those precision passes simply can't be used in swirling, gale force winds. You cant thread the needle when the wind and rain are blowing sideways. He took what he had available to him.

Okay, I'll agree that I was holding my breath whenever Cleveland kicked off or punted, and I wanted to kill Corey Davis, but that was the extent of the sloppiness, and that was obviously all about the swirling, gale force winds and rain. And I didn't see the defense put enough pressure put on Anderson, which worries me.

They took the lead, and played smart football. They were ready again this week, and showed intensity. They are a much better team that last year's bunch. So long as Ben stays reasonably healthy.

:suplusone:

I was more than a bit perturbed with Corey Davis, too. OMG, I was freakin' out!

A win is a win. I thought the Steelers would put up more points than they did and win big, but I'll take the 10-6 victory and 2-0 record. However, the Steelers absolutely cannot become complacent. Their schedule is too tough, and they have to remain ever vigilant.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Nashsteeler » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:28 pm

Ben is a mudder, and there is still no one I'd rather have as our QB.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:14 pm

Can't explain how much weather was a factor.
Wind was swirling. Misting rain in circles, and periodic had rain. Trash flying everywhere, incuding on the field. And I mean full size ponchos!

Return to Stillers Talk