Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Ben current BEST QB in league

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Ben current BEST QB in league

Postby lloydrules » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:12 pm

With Brady out for the season, and Manning rusty and Ben playing at his peak, Ben is currently the best QB in the NFL.

I heard Mike & Mike debating on who they top QBs were this morning, and they kept listing Ben at around 7. Bull crap.

They were going on and on about Cutler. Cutler? What about BB? Give me a break. Cutler is coming on and I believe will be a top QB, but where is the logic of naming players like Palmer ahead of BB?

That is nuts.

It goes, right now.

BB
Romo
McNabb
Brees
Manning (he will beat the rust off)
Rivers
Eli Manning
Cutler

Mix bag

Palmer looks like crap. Anderson is so so. Garrard is suffering from bad OL.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Ben current BEST QB in league

Postby steelerette » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:20 pm

I'll drink to that, lloydrules. :cheers: I totally agree Ben is the best QB in the league these days. I'm not, nor have I ever been, impressed with Tony Homo. McNabb is overrated, in my opinion. Peyton Manning looks like he's on drugs this season, and I just don't think Eli can top his bro. I have absolutely no idea why the pundits keep insisting Carson Palmer is an elite QB. He sucks. :lol:

Big Ben in '08! :celebrate:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby lloydrules » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:33 pm

steelerette wrote:I'll drink to that, lloydrules. :cheers: I totally agree Ben is the best QB in the league these days. I'm not, nor have I ever been, impressed with Tony Homo. McNabb is overrated, in my opinion. Peyton Manning looks like he's on drugs this season, and I just don't think Eli can top his bro. I have absolutely no idea why the pundits keep insisting Carson Palmer is an elite QB. He sucks. :lol:

Big Ben in '08! :celebrate:

I'm not even overly homer. Up until this year, I would agree Brady was the best and Manning probably a better passer than Ben. But Ben was nearly flawless in the opener and has been showing signs of being elite all last season (having a rating 2nd only to Brady for 2007).

Palmer has been overrated for years now, and that team looks like it totally sucks. I give Romo his props. He does his thing well. But if you add all that Ben brings to the table, no one playing this season brings all that is part of his play: instincts, big arm, leadership, mobility, toughness, awareness, big, tall, vision, anticipation...who brings all that?

Ben can some how work miracles with a horrid line in front of him last year. What other QB could have that high of rating operating behind that crappy of OL?

Practice Squad

Postby sbbound » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:05 pm

Romo, Ben, and Brees are the best young QBs in the league. They by far have the most potential to be great. We know what Peyton is and I think his best days are behind him. McNabb is McNabb. He always starts off hot, but somehow he never finishes the job completely. While I think its hard to crown someone as the Best QB in the league at this given time in the season, I don't think any other QB in the league would be as successful in the Steelers system as Ben Roethlisberger. Carson Palmer is done in this league, as I think his team has flatlined his career. By the time they rebound or he goes somewhere else, his best days will be long behind him. As far as Mike and Mike in the Morning goes, they are nice guys and I enjoy listening to them sometimes, but these two don't understand sports of today. Its a Disney broadcast, so they're going to be politically correct 110% of the time. Your regional sports radio are where the professional opinions are.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:20 am

more often then not ben is regarded as the number 3 guy by alot of the media, if not 3 they usually say ben or romo number 3-4 , palmer brees number 5-6 and so on.

if the steelers win the superbowl and ben puts up say 28-32 tds 5-10 ints, he will solidify the number 3 spot with no questions asked.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:23 am

funny but they used to say ....peyton...brady...then big ben....

after week one they now say....ROMO....BREES.....then BIG BEN.....

WTF!????

Grizzled Veteran

Postby lloydrules » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:43 am

darthsteel wrote:more often then not ben is regarded as the number 3 guy by alot of the media, if not 3 they usually say ben or romo number 3-4 , palmer brees number 5-6 and so on.

if the steelers win the superbowl and ben puts up say 28-32 tds 5-10 ints, he will solidify the number 3 spot with no questions asked.

Ben's won a ring. Check. Ben has been a winner since he stepped on the field, going 15-2 his first season. (Including play offs). BB put up a QB rating 2nd ONLY to the guy who broke ALL records last season. BB was the youngest QB to ever win a SB.

For any talking head to NOT include BB in the top 3, they got to be idiots. What the F has Brees, Romo, Palmer done to deserve to be rated higher than BB? Nothing.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:23 pm

remember, it took brady 8 yrs to get the no.1 spot universally over peyton in the media and he was lumped in the top 3-5 during his 4th-5th season.

It took brady 2 rings to even get mentioned with peyton, brady had to over come mannings stats with trophies.

2 rings, another solid stat yr and he will solidify the 3rd spot where people say brady/manning ben number 3 then everyone else a distant 4th!

bens 26, he will get that number 1 spot by his 8th season if he keeps moving his game foward and brady/manning decline due to age.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:43 pm

Hi5Steeler wrote:funny but they used to say ....peyton...brady...then big ben....

after week one they now say....ROMO....BREES.....then BIG BEN.....

WTF!????

I hear ya, Hi5. It really pisses me off that Ben and the Steelers get no freakin' respect, especially from that media source known as ESPN which is headquartered close to Massachusetts in Bristol, Connecticut. Bastards! We know better, though, huh? :celebrate: :surockin: :subngtowl:

Practice Squad

Postby Steelersbaby » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:00 am

Ben in my mind has the 3 spot solidified. With or without Brady playing, Peyton rusty, who gives a shit. He is going to show this season that he is MORE than 3. He is talented in all the areas... if our OLIne does indeed hold up, he is going to take us to and win the superbowl. GAURENTEED. I would take Ben over Manning or Brady in a second, and that is not homer-ism. That is how talented I think he is.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:40 pm

Something that I don't think was mentioned in this thread, but has certainly been mentioned before...

When talking about Brady's and Manning's success on the field, it has to be mentioned that they've consistently been behind good, if not stellar blocking. Ben hasn't had the luxury of having a comfy pocket to sit in while dink-n-dunking to receivers that catch the ball 4 yards past the LOS then running for another 20-30 yards. He has however maintained a 60% completion percentage and been able to find ways to win games like no other Steelers QB in my lifetime.

Building from that, another element to QBing that the talking-head-dubbed 'elite' guys don't have: Elusiveness. Not Brady. Not Manning. Not Palmer. Ben is almost ALWAYS perfect on the run. He's been a play-maker from his rookie season and has showed when dropping back, he's a jedi in the backfield and seems to always know where the defensive players are around him.

Each QB brings something to their respective teams. Ben brings us the belief we can win ANY game he's QBing. He's a natural winner that's had his natural success over-floweth in his not-so-long NFL reign.

I don't care if the experts list him as the 3rd from the last best in the league. He's just as good as anyone out there. And I'm glad to know any game he starts... Hurt or not... He has what it takes to win the game.

Here's to football! :cheers:

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:58 pm

I suspect that sports columnists and media experts cater their products to mollify the largest media consumption markets, which explains why Ben does not receive deserved attention.

After all, these reporters have to sell what they produce if they want to keep their advertising accounts and their jobs.

It will require sustained excellence by Ben for him to receive his recognition, for by then it will be so obvious that it can't be ignored.

But I'm just guessing here, I have no hard data.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:01 pm

You don't need hard date to prove that point. It's simply true.

So often we forget that this is a BUSINESS before it's a sport.

:suplusone: Nel.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:12 am

"I suspect that sports columnists and media experts cater their products to mollify the largest media consumption markets, which explains why Ben does not receive deserved attention."

I think that explains most of it. However all of the attention given to teams like the Bengals and the Packers doesn't seem to fit the theory.

I still suspect, but cannot prove, that some team ownerships pay for favorable media attention. That doesn't seem to explain the Packers though.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby ILLSTILL » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:30 pm

Although I do get tired of hearing ben be underrated, I will never understand how people STILL think Palmer is elite. He just plain has proven that he's not.

I've always believed Roethlisberger is second best in the league. I always have and always will. Manning is indeed better than him, but no one else. Brady the system qb is inSANELY overrated. He's not even in my top ten.

Yes, romo is a very good quarterback, but he is FAR too streaky considering he has easily the best wr/te duo in the league. He's a big gambler qb, and will never be all that consistent. Maybe he'll win a ring, maybe he won't, but he's still the 4th or 5th best in the league regardless.

Brees is easily number 3, nuff said.

After that is a whole batch of qbs like hasselbeck, bulger, possibly warner, blah blah

Cutler is not elite. There's clearly something wrong with the Charger's pass D. That is VERY obvious.

I really don't understand how they could throw jay in the elite mix after one great game. That shit is ridiculous.

Return to Stillers Talk