Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Steelers Needs In 2017?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Steelers Needs In 2017?

Postby Steelers76 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:42 pm

What player positions do you think the Steelers need to address before the start of the 2017 season, either through free-agency or the draft? I'll give my personal Top 5;

-1.) Outside LB. After the AFC Title Game, I don't think I have to explain the need for a pass-rushing LB who can pressure the QB on a consistent basis. Jarvis Jones is officially a bust, and it's time to move on. I saw a mock draft that had The Steelers select LB Tim Williams from Alabama with the 1st Round pick.

-2.) Cornerback. Cockrell did better than I thought he would've this season, but he's not the long-term answer at the position. Gay has played his way out of Pittsburgh with his awful performance in The AFC Title game against New England.

-3.) Tight End. I'm just assuming that LaDarius Green's career is over. That leaves just Jesse James and Xavier Grimble back there.

-4.) Back-Up QB. Landry Jones has (hopefully) played his last game in a Steelers uni, and I don't know what's going on with Mettenberger. I don't buy Ben's retirement talk at all, but given his age and his propensity for getting injured, I think it would be a good time to secure a solid insurance policy like a Matt Cassell or Brian Hoyer-type. I don't recommend drafting a QB to simply be the reserve QB unless he's Ben's eventual replacement, and this draft class is said to contain not a lot of talent at the position.

5.) Punter. Yes, punter. Berry's act has worn thin here, and we need someone that is consistent and can flip the field once in a while.

Your picks?

Hall of Famer

Re: Steelers Needs In 2017?

Postby isfry » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:28 pm

1.) Head Coach.

2.) Head Coach.

3.) Head Coach.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:32 pm

Seriously, though. I think JJ will be fine at TE. We do need a punter. I also agree that a pass rushing LB and a real cover corner are the priorities in the draft. Picking up a journeyman, steady backup QB via free agency shouldn't be that hard.

Hard to worry about it, though, when I am certain that Tomlin will crash the whole thing into a ditch at the end of the season no matter what they do in the off season...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:51 am

isfry wrote:1.) Head Coach.

2.) Head Coach.

3.) Head Coach.

Damn you beat me to it! :suplusone:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:04 am

Not making any picks, but some comments. Seems like last several years they supposedly have all this talent, but never get over the hump. Either they won't play the talent they have so we can see what they can do or they don't know what to do with the talent they have. That is coaching and until that changes it will be the same old. Agree they need a punter: coaches. I like the outlaw at TE considering what we have seen from him. They need to get him more involved in passing game: again coaches. As a Steeler fan of old it's gittin old not having a whole lot to cheer about in the LB corps. Shazier is quick, but can he stand the rigors? Dupree showed some promise. Again is it the D schemes or talent: coaches? It was nice to see rookies getting in the game e.g. the secondary. Gotta let em play to learn. As far as Ben I think either he is fed up and trying to be a teamer or he has lost the passion. Used to be Ben could win games with shear will. I have been jawing for 2 years now as others about their need to get a young QB and start that process. And yes it would be nice to have a capable backup in the interim. My fear is the QB farm system (NCAA) does not produce the type of signal callers of old. Look at Saban with the Tide. Yeah, he lost this year, but who would have thought he would go with a scatback QB. In NCAA win championships or get a new job. Unlike Pittsburgh.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:45 pm

To be clear when I listed Tight End, that was purely out of need for depth on the team. James, and to a lesser extent Grimble, can def. get the job done. I would be hesitant to use a 1st round pick on one, however, unless it's the next Tony Gonzalez.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:02 am

Agree with everyone here... OLB for Harrison's eventual replacement. Been saying for four years that it is time for the Steelers to draft Ben's heir to give him time to learn without having to be thrown into what is going to be a clusterfuk. I think you need to look at a Free Safety also-- Mitchell blew in the AFC game too and isn't that dynamic a talent. They are probably going to have to draft a RB in middle late rounds. I doubt they are going to resign Wiliams at 34 years old. Bell doesn't ever make it through a season for one reason or another. Probably first round is an OLB.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:08 pm

1. Free safety
2. Corner
3. Free safety
4. Corner
5. Free safety

:subngtowl:

Practice Squad

Postby clyde » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:54 am

D-linemen who can rush the passer! This linebacker pass rusher is old. They are just blitzing all the time in my eyes with this stuff. The Giants had Strahan and Pierre Paul to rush Brady's butt and the beat NE. Maybe we could find someone in the draft to be like them. Then our linebackers could cover some of the short stuff and get back to the Super Bowl. But what do Imknow.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:37 am

For the first time in many years, there will be a well coached team playing at Heinz this weekend. Go Pens!
:supimpin:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:17 am

Steelers76 wrote:What player positions do you think the Steelers need to address before the start of the 2017 season, either through free-agency or the draft? I'll give my personal Top 5;
-1.) Outside LB. ....

-2.) Cornerback. ...

-3.) Tight End. ...

-4.) Back-Up QB. ...

5.) Punter. ...

Your picks?

After the first week of free agency I think our top 5 priorities for free agency/draft should be >
1 - Outside LB. This has to be our Round 1 pick. We have Dupree and Harrison as stop gap... The only way we don-t one is if there is a rush on Outside LB and nobody is deserving of a Round 1 or 2 pick. This is a need. So I would accept a reach. I honestly dont think there is any interesting free agent.

2 - 5 > Depending on price, round, etc. The other four areas I would adress, the ordering depending more on the values of the players that on the need itself > MLB, WR, RB, CB.
The reasoning is as follows >
MLB- With Timmons gone, you need to give Vince Williams competition. I would not be surprised if the team took a chance on some sort of hybrid LB/Safety.
WR - Not a huge need. But we should add somebody, something like a 3rd or 4th round, just in case. I expect one between Coates and Bryant to perform at a very high level next year. But at the same time we should consider last season.
RB - If you have a great 2nd round RB you take him no matter what. I expect the Steelers to extend Bell at some point during off season. Honestly I wouldnt. Value is simply not there. The problem with these position is that Tomlin has to realize, after 10 years, that you cannot use the RB as he does. So we need fresh legs. Anyway, he will be the starter once Bell in injured...
CB - We will add Golson next year. But we do not know his level. Maybe we could take care with an underrated free agent.

76 I am not that far off from yours. I prefer a big bodied WR than a TE, maybe because I havent given up on Green yet. But I give him this one as a prove it year. If he has a small headache until camp I cut him. Punter it is a low round or undrafted. But I dont see it as a need. Only if somebody really good shows up.

As I said, Round 1 we have to take an outside LB no matter what. All the rest is up for grabs. Heck, I would consider even a QB in round 2 if the right one falls. Not to back up Ben, but as his future replacement. I am ok with the Landry Jones signing. But we can start thinking about life without 7. If a Watson, Trubiski or so, somehow fall in the 2nd Round you just pick him up.
The League has a struggle in finding capable QBs. That is one of the reason I am rooting for the Patriots to trade Garoppolo to the Browns. I think that if Garoppolo stays, the Patriots dynasty will continue until Belichick stays.
On the other hand I have to say that I love what the Browns are doing overall. The Osweiler trade is genious. The draft pick strategy is genious. Also they have signed a good Oline. We should watch out for them. I think they will be good in 1 or 2 years time butthey need a QB. I am amazed that somebody considered a Qb whisperer as Hue Jackson has no clue regarding Qbs. Last year he took a chance with RGIII and let Carson Wentz pass. Not a good deal at all.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:33 am

Ohio wrote:. ...
2 - 5 > Depending on price, round, etc. The other four areas I would adress, the ordering depending more on the values of the players that on the need itself > MLB, WR, RB, CB.
The reasoning is as follows >
WR - Not a huge need. But we should add somebody, something like a 3rd or 4th round, just in case. I expect one between Coates and Bryant to perform at a very high level next year. But at the same time we should consider last season.

Here come Hunter... I like the move. Now we need just one between Coates, Bryan and Hunter to pan out. Chances are one will

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:40 am

Ohio wrote:...

2 - 5 > Depending on price, round, etc. The other four areas I would adress, the ordering depending more on the values of the players that on the need itself > MLB, WR, RB, CB. ...
RB - If you have a great 2nd round RB you take him no matter what. I expect the Steelers to extend Bell at some point during off season. Honestly I wouldnt. Value is simply not there. The problem with these position is that Tomlin has to realize, after 10 years, that you cannot use the RB as he does. So we need fresh legs. Anyway, he will be the starter once Bell in injured...

So far so good. We are taking chance on low risk high rewards type of players. Ok, they are stars. But they are all coming for veteran minimum. And with next OTA you will know what you will get before the draft. I still would like to upgrade the RB position. We should take someone in the second or third round. Don't forget, Bell will not finish the season. So you are actually drafting a starting RB. Knile Davis cannot take this chore. Adding some fresh legs out of college will help immensely in January.
On a side note I didn't expect us targeting a DL. I thought we had three already. But maybe it signals that the team wants to use Hargreaves as Nose Tackle only. We will get a better idea in camp. But then again, I am overthinking. Ok we have signed a former first round pick. But at the same time it is not someone that is costing that much money. So maybe he can even be cut in camp. Time will tell

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:26 pm

Maybe they are toying with the idea of moving to a 4-3...

...or maybe it's just for depth.

We'll see. We better be able to get more hats on QB's, or it doesn't matter how many band-aids we put on the secondary.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:08 pm

isfry wrote:Maybe they are toying with the idea of moving to a 4-3...

...or maybe it's just for depth.

We are in subpackage most of the time. And our subpackage is basically a 4 -3. So we are a false 3 4. We are a 43. Just most of the fans didnt take notice yet. But the point is not this. The point is that Tomlin plays Tuitt and Heyward 80% of the time. There was not enough space for Hargreaves. That until someone gets injured. Then next we play the new starter 80% of the time. We have seen this story plenty times. I dont believe Tomlin will change his style. That is why I dont agree with the Bell situation. We all know his ¨Till the Wheels fall off¨style. Willie Parker knows, Bell knows, Heyward knows, DeAngelo Williams knows. Ok, we have not taken a star. We are playing close to vet minimum. But I honestly thought that 3 was their number. Considering that we have also another half in Matthews.... But ok.... I am just curious what are plans for the draft are...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:14 am

One month to the draft. Countdown started.

I ll narrow it down to who I believe we will pick with the first selection.

80 % chances > One between Lawson, Williams, TJ Watt, Reddick

20 % > Jarrad Davis, Tankersley, Conley , Lattimore

Place your bet

Return to Stillers Talk