Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Beating the Patsies

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Beating the Patsies

Postby Pommah » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:56 pm

Brady and the Patsies are beatable. It will be tough, they will bring their "A" game and if it comes down to a match of wits, we know who wins. But it can be done.

The Pats are designed to protect TB for 2.5 seconds so he can get a pass off. He doesn't try to extend plays (however in big games, he will scamper for a key 1D if you let him) and if he has nobody open by the 2.5 second mark, he throws it away. Being a playoff game, he may hold onto it longer occasionally if not pressured. But the Pats are all about keeping TB upright, untouched, and giving him somebody to throw to within 2.5 seconds. It's actually a thing of beauty when they are executing. We've all seen that his receivers only have to be open a liiiitle biiiit for Brady to get them the ball.

Who'd he lose to this season? Only the Seahawks - big, physical D. Only won by 1 TD against the Ravens at home, and only by 5 against the Jets on the road. Each of these teams applied pressure to Brady even though it doesn't always show up in the sacks stat line, as he throws it away most of the time. 2.5 seconds.

A few years back the Ravens went in to Foxborough for the championship game twice in a row, and came out with one win, and it could have been two, if the Ravens' receiver could have held onto the ball in the end zone as the game clock wound down, instead of letting a Patsie DB smack it away. It can be done.

If we have good coverage - and the Pats do not have great receivers - and keep the pressure on, we can keep their score down. If we can't pressure Brady, he will eventually pick us apart. If we can keep their score down, we have the offense to outscore them, particularly if we have an effective ground game and can chew up clock. Where was the play-action pass against the Chiefs? Our RB was gashing them for big gains the whole first half and no play action? Wtf?

As a realist, I think the Pats will probably take it, but we have a shot. I'd love to see Harrison obliterate Brady early, make him wonder why he's smashed into a cold hard football field in Foxborough on a friggin' January night when he could be in his LA palace with his supermodel wife sitting around the pool sipping martinis. Never let up on him, even if they pull ahead. Take a roughing penalty if you have to. The Steelers are the AFC team the Pats feared most, and here it is.

Hall of Famer

Re: Beating the Patsies

Postby isfry » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Agreed, Pommah. Easier said than done, obviously, but agreed.

Nothing I would love more than avenging the specters of AFCC's past and manhandling the Patsies in their house.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:19 pm

John Harbaugh's won twice in New England in the playoffs; The aforementioned AFC Title Game in the 2012 season, and The Wild Card round in 2009. Maybe Dumblin could ask him for some advice. Lol.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Ironically, as Pommah points out, the game-plan isn't very complicated, only difficult to implement, let alone for four full quarters. Run the ball effectively, don't turn the ball over, don't give up real estate on penalties and special teams, and be on Marcia Brady like flies on shit. The difficulty is maintaining the focus and intensity throughout the game, which comes down to coaching. And that's what scares me...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:55 pm

I posted this already in the Chiefs/Stillers analysis, but figure this is a great thread to chime in. If one were to look back at the game thread from the Stillers-Pats game in October you will see that some(myself included) believed that game was winnable even with Laundry at the helm. Also, reading the comments post-mill analysis of that game you will see a few bonehead decisions from the commander that also contributed to the loss. Problem is the propensity for more of that is as certain as Obola leaving the House this Friday. (At least I hope so). Of Brady's 222 yds in that game about 100 went to Gronk and that wasn't until the 2nd half. At least they will not have to deal with Gronk next week, but Dion Lewis might present a problem. Houston proved once again that you get a little turf on Brady's clothes you got a chance. Can't really add to what everybody else already knows about what it will take next week, but it is nice to have a pretty healthy team all around and hoping the D with Dupree will be turned loose. I am still wondering if Ben is really 100% though.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:24 pm

I agree, six, that it's winnable, as I thought the early season game was. We just have to bring our A game in all three phases for all four quarters. Problem is, I can't remember the last time this team brought its A game for three quarters. Maybe two, but not three, and certainly not four. As I posted on the game thread, special teams gaffes, stupid penalties, and red-zone ineptitude will not get it done in Foxboro.

I talked to a buddy who was at the Miami game. He said even over the crowd noise you could hear the Dupree hit on Moore. How I would love to hear that sound this weekend as Deebo and Dupree give Marcia Brady the Malachi Crunch!

Go Stillers!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:09 pm

Well isfry I had to look up what a Malachi Crunch refers to and I agree that would be a nice sound. You have been right this year with your predictions so if you got 'em going to the SB I am with ya'! And once there they could get some payback by beating the Pack this time!

:subngtowl:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:02 am

Steelerssix wrote:Well isfry I had to look up what a Malachi Crunch refers to and I agree that would be a nice sound. You have been right this year with your predictions so if you got 'em going to the SB I am with ya'! And once there they could get some payback by beating the Pack this time!

Hey Six, I take it that you've already written off the Armpit Foul-coons from winning the N.F.C.C.?

They're actually the team that worries me in the N.F.C.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:52 am

Crucible-steel-kid wrote:
Steelerssix wrote:Well isfry I had to look up what a Malachi Crunch refers to and I agree that would be a nice sound. You have been right this year with your predictions so if you got 'em going to the SB I am with ya'! And once there they could get some payback by beating the Pack this time!

Hey Six, I take it that you've already written off the Armpit Foul-coons from winning the N.F.C.C.?

They're actually the team that worries me in the N.F.C.

Hey Crucible - No, I mentioned the Packers since I think that is the team (or maybe he said the Seahawks) that isfry predicted the Stillers would beat in the SB this year and besides it would be nice revenge. You do bring up a very good point about the Falcons because I paid zero attention to them this year and when actually watching them play they looked impressive. Makes me wonder what the change was this year considering Ryan has been there a while. I think the NFCC will be a good game considering I really expected the cowpukes to beat the Packers.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:32 pm

I think I actually predicted beating the Cowgirls. Atlanta is the team I fear in the NFC, too, Crucible, should we get to the show. I think ATL is gonna light up GB on Sunday, which I would actually enjoy a little.

Return to Stillers Talk