Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Doplhs Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Doplhs Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:51 am

Stillers-Doplhs Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Practice Squad

Re: Stillers-Doplhs Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby fuckNE » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:53 am

"As slow as a pack mule hauling a cart full of cinder blocks"........annnnnd with that, I almost spit my coffee all over my computer screen!!! Here is some game footage of Croissants fancy footwork:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTpT4vcncAs

I saw this video last year and immediately thought of your comment...LOL. Absolutely priceless.

The special teams continues to be the second hand store/ storage unit for misfit toys and it shows. The lack of detail and attention this unit plays with will cost them dearly against the chiefs given T. Hill. If they cannot improve, I don't know, by 90% in a week... Lets see if Mom makes any adjustments.The great idea to kick it short and cover quickly to trap them short of the 25 worked as well as the Vietnam War.

Game Notes:

wish we saw a little more Rodgers and Ayers in the passing game. Ayers is going to be special....he needs to tone down the showboating....

Bud Dupree made more plays yesterday than Jaggoff Jones has made during his 4 year stint with the Steelers....good luck JJ and best of luck with getting on with your lifes work..Take Wilie Gay with you while you are at it, you can start a band...

#92 has another year in him

Bens erratic play continues, Maybe the O-Line shouldn't give him all the time to throw and let him get back to "backyard Ben' he seems more dangerous (sarcasm) However, the cleaner the O-line has kept him his numbers aren't as impressive...

Mill, I thought your delay this am in posting your grades were due to adjusting your review due to J Porter's arrest last night. Another black eye on the Steelers reputation. We are now officially know as the Cincy Bengals...

Practice Squad

Postby Matthew1516 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:35 am

Mill forgot that we are 11-5. We won that meaningless season finale with a majority of our starters, and deserve full credit for it.

Tomlin has a tradition dating back to Isaac Redman of having the slowest back on the team as kickoff returner. Our return strategy is "three yards and a cloud of dust."

Another Tomlin tradition is needlessly putting the game and Big Ben in peril in playoff games that are well in hand. He does not understand basic concepts of clock management and field position. Last year's wild card game against Cinci is he perfect example. We are up 15-0 going into the last play of the 3rd quarter. It's 3rd and long deep in our own territory. Cinci had no offense and no momentum on a dreary, rainy night and the fans were ready to go home. A smart coach runs a draw, accepts that you probably won't get a first down, and punts the ball away deep to start the 4th quarter. Instead, we have Big Ben scramble back to the goal line in a no back set, he gets crushed by man-beast Burfict, we have to punt out of our own end zone while Big Ben is carted off to the locker room, and the Bengals get field position and momentum and race off to dominate the quarter. We win miraculously, but only with AB getting KO'd and Big Ben left with half a shoulder for the next round. All of this could have been averted by playing field position and clock management with a 4th quarter lead.

The same crap happened yesterday for no discernible reason.

The first pick is partly on AB. He had a great game, but that ball clanged off his hands.

Inexcusable that we would rush 3 early in the 3rd quarter on third down and still give up a routine 10 yard curl for the first down.

All-in-all, a nice playoff win, but a reminder of all of the bad habits that could cost us dearly next week.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:58 am

What a great sports day in the Burgh! The Pens big win capped off a great day.
I was screaming at the TV when Ben was still in there at the end of the game. WTF? Momlin will never learn from the past. Dumbass.
Joey Porter was a great player but is a complete fukwad of a moron coach. Way to set the example you stupid fuk. He may have "coached" his last game.
The one plus facing the Chiefs is that they are dink and dunkers; meaning their deep threat is not as prominent as most playoff teams. Our speed up front gives us the advantage when facing their O.

Stillers.com Team

Postby StillMill » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:05 am

[quote="Matthew1516"]Mill forgot that we are 11-5. We won that meaningless season finale with a majority of our starters, and deserve full credit for it.
/quote]

My bad.....was typing at an airport, etc. I disagree on the 1st INT. Although it nipped AB's hand, it was a shoddy pass that was high, and behind, AB....

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:20 pm

As usual, we can count on a down to earth review of game. This site should be required reading for all Steelers staff and players...
This Steelers team has a problem with thinking that they are great BEFORE they have actually done something and Momlin usually assists them. KC will send them home if team thinks they have destiny on their side.
Description of Pouncey blocking as just 'getting in the way' was hilarious AND true, so many of the blocks by this line is that. Luckily Bell can work with this concept. Bell showing OJ type accelelation when holes open up, what a nightmare for opposing Ds! Even funnier, though, was big (blob) Ben trying one of Bell's famous shoulder fakes on a short scramble (it seems everyone in the NFL is doing this now. Copying ABs first down signal too.)
On one play Bell got the handoff from Ben and just stopped, fin defender in the hole thought qb must still have the ball, so Bell just runs right by him. Classic!!
The KMA Butler's D plan seems to be taking form. Dupree focus should intimidate other qbs, and 305lb Tuitt had a crushing full speed hit as well.
I believe it was 05 when Steelers and Troy went on a roll at end of season, blowing through playoffs including the pansy Peyton led Colts and in SB Shehogs entire left side All Pro O and backfield were shut down by Porter etal. Team has this look. Hope Joey survives himself....

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:36 pm

Great review, as per usual. Nobody ever can accuse Mill of being a cheerleader. Lol.

Some other observations;

-Agree completely about the pass rush early on in the game. I swear, Butt-head forgets that NFL rules don't prohibit rushing more than 3 defenders, and has to be reminded of this fact half-way into games.

-Yeah, the play-calling when it was 30-6 mid-way through the 4th quarter enraged me as well. Not only with leaving Ben, Brown, and Bell in, but calling fucking pass plays and giving the 'Fins free time-outs with Inc. passes. A first year Pop Warner coach would know enough not to do that. Insert joke here.

-Special teams angered me yesterday for the reasons you already covered. Danny Smith needs to get on with his life's work after this season. I've said it before and I'll say it again; Putting Toussaint on the KR is the same as when Naj "Dumptruck" Davenport and Gary Russell were back there, only somehow worse. The Ravens released the aforementioned KR/PR Devin Hester a few weeks back, who the Steelers should've immed. picked up. Not because I think Hester is what he once was in the return game, but rather a vet who A.) Has the smarts and wherewithal to know when to run with the ball or take a knee in the E.Z./fair catch, and B.), A key skill player like A.B. wouldn't have to return punts and expose himself to needless injury. I have a feeling if the Steelers lose on Sunday, the winning points will be scored on a Tyrique Hill kickoff or punt return TD.
Last edited by Steelers76 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:53 pm

Love the Mill analysis each week that doesn't pander and of course the pack mule line goes in to my collection of Millisms. And so it goes for the umpteenth week. The same laments from the same gang (us) and it never changes leading me to ask how in thee hell is this team in the playoffs? Oh, some really good talent that manages to NOT LOSE considering the stumbling block(s) that are running the show. AB still fielding punts, valuable people still getting knocked around when game is in hand, taking the foot off the gas when the opponent is reeling, the constant preening that will bite them with a costly 15 yd. penalty at the most inopportune time. Though some were upset about what Bradshaw said about Tomlin, I tend to agree with him because the lack of discipline starts with the HC. Yes, Bell was having a monster game, but as I screamed in the game thread where the hell is #34? Let him spell Bell and keep him from getting beat up. Stats are nice, but the goal is an SB win with a TEAM. As I mentioned in the thread yesterday this D looks good, but against whom? Just look at what Mill says just about every week: "Butler having the luxury of facing another...." you fill in the blank. This will be the last shot they get for awhile and there is nobody waiting in the wings at QB so the drought will be painful as they battle the Browns for basement supremacy. Seriously I am trying to enjoy this run, but damn they make it hard to relax a bit in these games. My 2 cents.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:45 pm

Great, funny, thorough write up, Mill. I agree with everything you pointed out, but feel inclined to chime in anyway.

First, Tous-AIN'T returning kicks, let alone returning ones he paused in the end zone to tie his shoe first on. WTF? On the one you mentioned where he only got to the 18 or so, I think he was actually caught from behind by the gunner FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FIELD. Think about that. The guy basically ran what amounts to a 100 yd buttonhook in time to catch the returner after an 18 yard gain. Do the math. Tous-AIN'T must be giving Momlin HJ's.

Second, the Dupree hit. WTF??? Seriously? I replayed it at real time over and over and it was literally less than a half second between release of football (no steps by the LB) and contact that wasn't with the helmet. Can you just not tackle QB's not named Ben anymore?

Third, the Ayers "blindside" (Hines Ward) block. WTF??? Isn't part of that rule that it's not a flag if the guy is near the ball so we figure he's expecting to maybe get blocked? It was like 10 feet from the ball carrier and the guy was taking an angle to cut him off AND, Ayers (I thought it was Rogers originally) didn't go cheap at the head or from behind anyway. I hate to say it, but the fix is in. The refs are out to flag the Steelers. Period. Moreover, based on the HORRENDOUS calls in the Seattle and GB games, the league clearly wants Seahawks-Packers as the NFCC. Apparently they crunched the numbers and figured out that that's the matchup that will sell the most fucking Pizza Hut ads.

Ben being in at the end, let alone throwing passes and rolling around, was beyond stupid. It defies all football logic. There are no words.

On the bright side, how about Timmons, Dupree, Silverback, and Shazier playing like a team of Steeler linebackers in a playoff game? Nice mix of speed, savvy, strength, and ferocity. Reminds me of days of old.

How much you wanna bet Boswell kicks at least one kickoff OOB next week in fear of the big return? Bet on it.

Stillers.com Team

Postby StillMill » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:52 pm

isfry wrote:Third, the Ayers "blindside" (Hines Ward) block. WTF??? Isn't part of that rule that it's not a flag if the guy is near the ball so we figure he's expecting to maybe get blocked? It was like 10 feet from the ball carrier and the guy was taking an angle to cut him off AND, Ayers (I thought it was Rogers originally) didn't go cheap at the head or from behind anyway. .

My bad....it was Rogers who made that block. I've changed it in my article. Typing at an airport and on a plane sux.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:56 pm

"My bad....it was Rogers who made that block. I've changed it in my article. Typing at an airport and on a plane sux."

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:55 pm

fuckNE wrote:"As slow as a pack mule hauling a cart full of cinder blocks"........annnnnd with that, I almost spit my coffee all over my computer screen!!! Here is some game footage of Croissants fancy footwork:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTpT4vcncAs

I saw this video last year and immediately thought of your comment...LOL. Absolutely priceless.

The special teams continues to be the second hand store/ storage unit for misfit toys and it shows. The lack of detail and attention this unit plays with will cost them dearly against the chiefs given T. Hill. If they cannot improve, I don't know, by 90% in a week... Lets see if Mom makes any adjustments.The great idea to kick it short and cover quickly to trap them short of the 25 worked as well as the Vietnam War.

:wow: :D

I look forward to reading younz replies to the weekly grade reports and the unbiased honesty from all. The entertainment value of your views is almost as good as the game itself...

Even though its just a game, I realize that we all want a dominant team to cheer and represent Pittsburgh. At any length, 'Go Stillers! !!!'
:subngtowl: :sucope:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:37 pm

Wanted to add that Moore at one time was 27 of 31 for 264yds. Most of that came after the biggest hit that I have seen in football, that includes Ltaylor breaking Theismann leg. Of course, LT was all methed up while Dupree may have been on skittles. Either way point is Steelers D faced as fine a performance as any could expect from Braidy or Rodgers . Hats off to the 11 plus the twelfth man Butler. 3 more games like this...
Has anyone looked at one stat concerning Steelers LT: how many times Timmy has pressured, hurried or sacked qb compared to how many times he has tried?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby ballhair » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:38 pm

Drama Queen Ben hurt again. How come Ben only gets hurt after making a pathetic fuck up play? He never gets hurt after making a good play.
I thought Miami's secondary was depleted? You wouldn't know it by Ben's play. KC is going to stack the box to stop Bell and make Ben beat them. I hope the big jabroni is up to it. If your elite then play like it dam it.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby ballhair » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:32 pm

got this off the other site. Seems like there is some truth to this. what say you?

On his show today Colin killed Ben, coach Tomlin on being an average coach, and as a whole an underachieving organization/team. They showed a graph of QBs and their years in the league,and how many times they had won their own division, and Ben is 13 years in with 5 AFC North titles, compared to Manning, Rogers, and others. He went on to say Tomlin is just an ok coach who lost a lot after trying to trip a player, and that his teams are not "buttoned up." using the Joey Porter incident, and saying that would never happen if Tomlin was respected? He also focused on the record of losing to teams sub .500, and that is something the good teams don't allow to happen. He definitely pulled no punches, and some of his points and numbers are accurate, but numbers don't always tell the story. Shortly after my phone blew up with friends jumping on the "Herd wagon." So, did anyone else see this, and how did you feel/thoughts?

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Steelers4Tim » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:49 pm

StillMill wrote:http://stillers.com/Article/View/be61f393-8940-4359-82fd-7d225e626f96 has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Besides maybe being a little too tough on a couple offensive lineman, not a shabby write-up at all, Mill. Your analysis of Tomlin, er, Dumblin, was spot on. Playing Ben deep into the fourth quarter when the outcome was not in doubt was truly stupid, and Mike needs his brain examined, IMO. It's like he patrols the sidelines, but yet turns off his brain half the game. Everyone sees it, that is except for Art II.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:14 pm

ballhair wrote:got this off the other site. Seems like there is some truth to this. what say you?

On his show today Colin killed Ben, coach Tomlin on being an average coach, and as a whole an underachieving organization/team. They showed a graph of QBs and their years in the league,and how many times they had won their own division, and Ben is 13 years in with 5 AFC North titles, compared to Manning, Rogers, and others. He went on to say Tomlin is just an ok coach who lost a lot after trying to trip a player, and that his teams are not "buttoned up." using the Joey Porter incident, and saying that would never happen if Tomlin was respected? He also focused on the record of losing to teams sub .500, and that is something the good teams don't allow to happen. He definitely pulled no punches, and some of his points and numbers are accurate, but numbers don't always tell the story. Shortly after my phone blew up with friends jumping on the "Herd wagon." So, did anyone else see this, and how did you feel/thoughts?

Not sure which part of this is news to anyone, certainly anyone who reads this site. As for Ben, he regularly gets called out around here for being elite at times and boneheaded at others. But I will say this, as for division titles, I'm pretty sure the AFC North has been tougher to win in the last 13 years than the NFC East and North put together, and Ben has just as many rings as Manning, and more than Rodgers, so there's that. As for Tomlin, average would be a step up. He sucks. Ben being on the field at the end of a 30-6 playoff game against the team that forced him to have knee surgery earlier in the season proves that, even more than his classless interference with Jacoby Jones' kick return did. The record against sub .500 teams has been talked about here for years. The mainstream media is just late to figure it out, maybe. I didn't see the bit, but I'm glad that people are catching on. Hopefully the Rooneys get ESPN.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:24 pm

Thanks, ballhair. I just went and looked at the Cowherd clip. AWESOME. I can come to only one conclusion after hearing Colin's rant. Colin Cowherd's secret identity is Still Mill.

:subngtowl:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:34 am

ballhair wrote:got this off the other site. Seems like there is some truth to this. what say you?

HERE'S THE LINK, START AT 7:07:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbWUEWgPSnk

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:39 pm

Come to think about it, the same Miami Dolphins team The Stillers beat in the 1970's resulted in the running game being shelved against the Oakland Raiders. This playoff run sort of has the same look to it.

Next

Return to Stillers Talk