Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Why Not?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Hall of Famer

Why Not?

Postby isfry » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:34 pm

Considering how HORRIBLE Tous-AIN'T is at KR, and considering how valuable AB is, why not give a young guy a chance at returning?

DeMarcus Ayers, who was activated to the active roster at least for the Baltimore game, returned a few kicks in his days at Houston. In three years there he returned 71 KO with an average of 22.7 yds and 1 TD. He also returned 36 punts with a 9.6 average and 1 TD.

Tous-AIN'T? 13 kick returns for a 21.4 avg 0 TD with a LONG of 33.

Brown has 15 PR with a 9.3 avg and 0 TD.

With there being no risk of Ayers being worse than Toussaint, and there being no risk of his being more valuable than AB, WHY NOT??

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Why Not?

Postby Steelers76 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:06 pm

Either him, or how about Justin Gilbert since he's not permitted to play defense? Looks like another wasted trade there.

Putting Toussaint there is the same when they had Naj Davenport in the same position Tomlin's 1st year; Senseless.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:16 pm

I haven't played organized football since junior high, but it appears to me that the kick return game is the area where the learning curve is the shallowest. How different can it be from college to the pros to catch the ball when it's kicked to you, follow your blockers and avoid the guys with the other color shirts? There's really no "playbook" to learn. I guarantee that I could outrun Toussaint, and we both have the same number of return TD's.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:37 pm

While we're talking "why not's", how about giving Rex the Defensive Coordinator job? I opposed him for HC a few years ago when he was mentioned on this site, but I'll let just about anybody bring some pride back to this defense.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:40 pm

Honestly, with the Dri Archer and Jacoby Jones failures as KRs in recent years and given that the majority of KOs are now touchbacks, I think Tomlin doesn't put a ton of stock in the position any longer. Just a guess, but no excuse for putting a slow-footed RB back there.

Return to Stillers Talk