Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-RatbirdsPostgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-RatbirdsPostgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:56 pm

Stillers-RatbirdsPostgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Hall of Famer

Re: Stillers-RatbirdsPostgame Analysis and Grades

Postby PGHeaven » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:53 am

Haha! Great funny write up Mill.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby ballhair » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:57 am

Spot on as usual Mill. What the fuck was up with Ben After that first drive he played like a scared baby for the rest of the first,second and third quarters. Wonder what happened? Did Haley make an adjustment in the fourth quarter? Did the Ravens defense just get tired? Aside from the fourth quarter, Ben has played like shit the last three games. He gave Balt. 10 points. Could you imagine how bad he would be if we didn't have Bell? With Ben's erratic play and that average defense, does anyone seriously think we are going far into the playoff's? That fucking defense better practice how to make tackles. As a serious Steeler fan this is why I come here to hear realistic opinions and analysis from other fans that tell it like it really is and not sugar coat anything. On those other Steeler sites, if your too critical of their hero's they will ban you. I have said it before and I'll say it again, this teams success in the PO will depend on how well Ben plays. Put up a lot of points early and don't let teams hang around. Happy Near Year all!

Practice Squad

Postby fuckNE » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:35 am

Nice read Mill. The Rats clock-chewing 6 minute drive reminded me of the Dallas game...Sickening to see this defense go so conservative during the most important stop of the season. Fuck Keith Butler...

A few game notes:

The best tackling by the team was by the offense taking down the Rats players who were running back Benji's Ints....for the love of Bubby Brister and George fucking Michael, Can these guys figure this out??????!!!?????

Even though 75% of kickoffs become touchbacks, we do not have a decent return man. Croissant is not the answer. Even having AB fielding punts is a danger in itself. He makes some bonehead decisions more often than not...

We will go only as far as Ben's play will take us, unfortunately that may not be past the first round.

Not a fan of a make-it or break it Stiller game on Christmas day at 4:30 pm. I scared everyone outside into the backyard in the rain...

Merry Christmas Mill and Co.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:06 pm

Actual analysis. A true gift just in time for season! The first commenter is also a welcome read, especially his comments on the pom pom sites.
To those complaining about AB running OOB on punt returns, shut the f up! He bad!
To TB, your welcome to your opinion, your welcome to speak your mind, but your big mouthing your coaching ideas at this time says you are not a Steelers fan anymore. SHUT THE F UP. Look at Momlin's job this year, he lost to the 2 #1 seeds and fins, Cravens who both, arguably, are playoff teams. One truly horrible game to Iggles, luckily happened early to blow a hole in Steelers' believing all the media hype about themselves.
Cravens accidently tried to hurt Ben, tweaked his knee. Ben hung in there, drifting to his right, finding Mr. Bell, and on the play of the season with Foster driving Bell into EZ.
D clearly gassed even on first Drive in 2nd Half, saved by O scoring on last 4 drives of game keeping them off the field. We need Tuitt.
As it stands, playoff scenario looking very favorable for Ben and Co....

Practice Squad

Postby Matthew1516 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:41 pm

I completely agree that the timing of this game almost ruined Christmas. Watching Tomlin get out coached against the hated Ratbirds again with the season on the line was more than I could stand. Worse yet, he actually told the press at halftime, "We don't need to make any adjustments. We just need to play cleaner." No -- you scored on only one drive in the first half -- you need to make adjustments, jackass.

We've all seen Big Ben have these moments like that 3rd quarter, and frankly, he threw several near picks earlier in the game. We just knew it was only a matter of time. But that 4th quarter explosion was vintage Big Ben -- Hall of Fame Big Ben. Practically every receiver on the roster got a touch on that last drive, and AB's move to score that last TD is the sort of elite thing Jerry Rice would do.

Tomlin must sit the key starters against the Browns. Bell should not even dress. Big Ben should hold the clipboard. AB can run a couple of fly patterns down the sidelines and call it a day. Shazier can just cheer on Vince Williams and Dirty Red. There is nothing to be gained by playing the starters next week, and a lot to lose. The AFC is wide open. This could be our year.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:59 pm

Great analysis as usual. Some personal observations;

-I was going to rant about the defense, particularly the shit tackling and allowing the ball-carriers extra yardage because of it, but you nailed it perfectly. Speaking of which, that whiff by Sean Davis on the safety blitz enraged me, but that's not the first time he's done that this season. Including this one, I seem to recall at least 3-4 other times. Butler needs to spend this week going over a refresher course in proper tackling techniques, as well as when to apply pressure on a QB and when not to.

-The A.B. "Immaculate Extension" was one for the ages. That's something I seriously won't ever forget. Something else to ponder; If he doesn't get in the EZ and time expires, the refs should've been roasted for failing to call an obvious facemask penalty on the Ratbirds on Brown. Pure horeshit that Stevie Wonder saw from the upper-deck.

-Next week's game against the Clowns needs to be treated like a pre-season week 1 contest. All valuable skill players, I.E.-Ben, Bell, Brown, must sit. We should be seeing a heaping helping of Landry Jones/Mettenberger, and Fitz Toussaint. After what happened to Carr and Marriota in recent weeks, this shouldn't even be up for debate. They're on their way to the playoffs, so unlike the pre-season, they don't need any "work." The last 3 Super Bowl Champions had a Bye, and the last time the Steelers did they made it to the Super Bowl. Take advantage of a meaningless game and make it the equivalent of one.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:01 pm

Nice wrap, Mill. Yeah, yesterday was infuriating for the first three quarters. We looked lost and disinterested, I thought. Man, oh man, did it come to life in the 4Q, at least on offense. That 4Q, especially the last drive, reminded me of the Stillers team that beat AZ. Ben looked unstoppable. Bell is a beast. Brownie is unbelievable, when we get him the ball. As Mill and PG pointed out, Rogers is developing into a legit WR2, which we desperately needed. I like the progress I see in the outlaw JJ while the ever-injured Green rots the pine, too.

With the injury to Carr, I am beginning to re-don my rose colored glasses. We get a chance to avenge the Miami loss, this time in our house. Then we go to Oakland, which just became a winnable game, with their franchise QB done for the year. On to Foxboro with a chance (emphasis on CHANCE) to exorcise those age-old demons of AFCC's past.

One step at a time, tho. Let's hope Tomlin realizes that none of the starters need any reps next week. The other good thing that happened yesterday is Cleveland got off the schneid. We didn't need next week to be meaningful for any reason. Sit EVERYONE.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:03 pm

fuckNE wrote:Not a fan of a make-it or break it Stiller game on Christmas day at 4:30 pm. I scared everyone outside into the backyard in the rain...

:suplusone:
My wife is still glaring at me a little...

Practice Squad

Postby Matthew1516 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:30 pm

My guess is that KC will have the number 2 seed when the dust settles. A win against the lowly Chargers and an Oakland loss at Denver gives the West to the Chiefs. I think we can beat KC on the road, but it's a shame. Oakland can't beat NE without Carr, but the Chiefs could beat up the Pats in a second round match up if it ever happened. We probably will have to beat, KC and the Pats to get to the Super Bowl.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:14 pm

Forgot to add; How swank were those color rush uni's? I hope they keep them around now that the 1920's chain gang/bumblebee one's have been retired.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:31 am

The game is much less stressful with good loud music on in the background and a house full of partying people having a good time. I would just check the score occasionally in between beers. I rewatched the full game the next morning knowing we had already won.
:D

The last play by AB will definitely go down in Stillers lore, especially if this team gets their shit together and win the whole fuking thing, much like my Penguins!
I still vote Munchak as team MVP. I'm sure all of you still remember the numerous painful shit O-line years. I know Ben does.
:subngtowl:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:34 pm

fred wrote:To TB, your welcome to your opinion, your welcome to speak your mind, but your big mouthing your coaching ideas at this time says you are not a Steelers fan anymore. SHUT THE F UP. Look at Momlin's job this year, he lost to the 2 #1 seeds and fins, Cravens who both, arguably, are playoff teams. One truly horrible game to Iggles, luckily happened early to blow a hole in Steelers' believing all the media hype about themselves.

I'll have what he's having.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:52 pm

Matthew1516 wrote:My guess is that KC will have the number 2 seed when the dust settles. A win against the lowly Chargers and an Oakland loss at Denver gives the West to the Chiefs. I think we can beat KC on the road, but it's a shame. Oakland can't beat NE without Carr, but the Chiefs could beat up the Pats in a second round match up if it ever happened. We probably will have to beat, KC and the Pats to get to the Super Bowl.

You called that one, Matthew.

Return to Stillers Talk