Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:42 am

Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Hall of Famer

Re: Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby PGHeaven » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:30 am

Mill - maybe I missed it - what did you think of Stooges 2 point attempt? To me - this is gross misconduct

Practice Squad

Postby fuckNE » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:10 am

"The 8-5 Stillers went to the Queen City to face the hated 5-7-1 Bungals.   Playing without AJ Green and with scant hope of making the playoffs, the Bungals should have been easy fodder for a playoff aspiring team to whip and dominate.   Instead, Stoogelin and his merry crew came out flat as a pancake, spending the entire 1H sputtering and wheezing in a pathetic display of grabass.   Luckily, the team came to life after halftime, and the Bungals obliged by committing a rash of senseless penalties.   In the end, the Stillers secured an ass-puckering 4-point win. "

Mill, your paragraph above says it all to me. All you have to do is cut and paste the opponent name and use it 4-6 times a season to describe the style of play we have become all too familiar with having this jaggoff at the helm. As you stated, lady luck was wearing black and gold yesterday.

A few notes:

Boswell: The best game by a kicker I have ever seen. Mill, you may have to dust off the hard hat for this one.

Gay: I know he switches positions, but looks completely lost on the field......a lot.

DeCastro: Since the new contract, his play is mediocre at best. He now reaches his weekly quota of 2 penalties by half time....

Hard to admit this, but I actually saw some of the Stillers restraining themselves during the scuffles and fight breakups after the whistle. Cincy out thugged us yesterday and I was happy to see some of these fights not turn into more flags against us. Cincy will always be their own worst enemy and as often as we play down to an inferior opponent, this was one area I was concerned with given the last time we played them away.

The rats arrive Xmas Day for a showdown. Hair on his balls has had Momlin's number for quite some time. Santa may end up giving Mom his Xmas present next Sunday. He is long overdue for "W" against them........BB

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:35 am

PG Heaven... I was about to mention the stupid 2 point conversion also... It served NO purpose, unless I can be corrected. So you go up 26 to 20-- it still means that Cincy can go ahead with a TD. You need a field goal to win at that point. But if you miss it and odds are that you are going to, now if Cincy goes up a td, a field goal ties it, whereas if you kicked the fucking extra point, a field goal wins it. Maybe the Steelers should hire a game manager coach. Oh and kicking off to a guy who damn near ran it back at the end of the half...that was just WTF you idiot!~!

Hats off to Boswell.. One hell of an effort. Steelers are out of the playoffs if he doesn't have that game including the fingertip save on that play where there wasn't any kickoff coverage except for him.

And you had to hold your breath that they didn't lose Bell as he has a history with the Bungholes. They certainly are trying to lose him for the playoffs... It will be outrageous if they keep running him in the final game against Cleveland into the 4th quarter should they be winning and they fucking should be against an winless team.

I guess they can eek out a ass puckering win against the Ravens at home. But the Steelers went into Baltimore with the Ravens out of the playoffs and they were down to a QB they picked up out of football two weeks earlier. Baltimore had subs everywhere. It was a must win game for the Steelers to stay in the wild card race... AND the Steelers got schlonged. Now the game means something this year.

As to the playoffs they go through New England like usual. Everyone else is mediocre as shit including the Steelers. Tomlin doesn't beat the Patriots in New England does he? Assler is going to devise a scheme to beat Brady? Right.

Stillers.com Team

Postby StillMill » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:31 am

PGHeaven wrote:Mill - maybe I missed it - what did you think of Stooges 2 point attempt? To me - this is gross misconduct

My bad....I uploaded the wrong version of my article. I just corrected this. I despised the decision to go for 2 there.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:06 am

Looking at the playoff standings, next week looks must win. The Fish only have to win one game to jump ahead of the Steelers due to the head to head loss. Baltimore wins the division. The AFC South gets an auto bid... so the only possible way to go is to win a game at home.
Last edited by LenSherwood on Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:41 am

Looks like system wiped my comment. Oh well give KMA Butler A+ down 2 linemen against Cincy O playing hot in their house only allowing 2 second half first downs that IS playoff football!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:11 pm

LenSherwood wrote:Looking at the playoff standings, next week looks must win. The Fish only have to win one game to jump ahead of the Steelers due to the head to head loss. Baltimore wins the division if they win. The AFC South gets an auto bid... Oakland and D so the only possible way to go is to win a game at home.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:23 pm

Tried to turn it off at the half but couldn't bring my self to do it. Watched the second half while installing a new wood stove and stovepipe in the living room. Pleasantly surprised, but unimpressed.

As I said in the game thread, this team needs three home games and a Pa. SB to have any hope. Really? If the Steelers win the North (which is by no means guaranteed) they get one home game. Even if they win that one, what then? Does anyone really believe this shit-show on the road is gonna go to Oaktown (see the last several ass whoopings we've gotten there) and THEN into Foxboro (see all the ass whoopings we have gotten there) and win either of those games??? Really?

Embarrassing lack of organization and heart was on display yesterday. Yes, the Steelers came back and won, but, just like last January, if it weren't for the fact that the Bengals hate themselves more than anyone else the comeback never would have happened.
Anyone who expects the Raiders or the Patriots to suffer a meltdown remotely like the standard Bengal tantrum is smoking crack.

At least the Steelers got their standard 9 or so win season so that the Rooneys can justify keeping Tomlin around.
:supissed:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pump-N-Iron » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:18 pm

Great write up Mill, as always. My one question that no one seems to be addressing... How in the fuk did Burfict pass a concussion protocol? What legit doctor would see that hit, watch him wobble off the field, and say, no... he's fine???

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:11 pm

Good write-up as usual.

Some other observations:

-Big thanks to Jeremy Hill for disrespecting the Terrible Towel. I guess he didn't know what happens when opposing teams players do that. See T.J. Housemanloser in 2005 and Lendale White in 2008. Let's hope our season ends the way those 2 did. And in closing, thanks to the Buttholes for being the Buttholes. Losers gonna lose.

-I said it after last week's review and I'll say it again here; Other than Justin Tucker, Boswell is the best Kicker in the NFL. Kudos to whoever found him last year after the Josh Scobee disaster.

-It's amazing what Ben has accomplished this season when you factor in the lack of weapons he's had for the majority of the schedule at WR. I agree that Cobi Hamilton should be factored in more in the passing game. Coates looked so promising at the beginning of the season, but now looks like Limas Sweed the sequel.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:14 pm

Pump-N-Iron wrote:Great write up Mill, as always. My one question that no one seems to be addressing... How in the fuk did Burfict pass a concussion protocol? What legit doctor would see that hit, watch him wobble off the field, and say, no... he's fine???

Too small of a sample size. I'm guessing that there is not enough brain matter there to perform an adequate concussion test.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:20 pm

Davis, Burns, and Dupree have given me some hope for this defense as we head for the playoffs. Right now, our LB group looks better than it has for quite some time and the arrow is pointing up for the secondary. If we could only upgrade the coaching from checkers to chess.

:subngtowl:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Still Peon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:28 pm

To clarify why the 2-pt try was bad (in my mind), I'll give you the simple version. There were 3 most likely outcomes after the TD score, which were: 1) Bungholes score a TD, 2) Bungholes don't score a TD, 3) Bungholes score a FG. Of course the 2 points benefit any of the 3 scenarios, but the 1 point try benefits the first 2 out of 3, which basically has a 99.9% of success. This brings us to:

teegre wrote:Steelers average (this season) for 2-point conversions: 37.5%
Which is a priceless statistic, and something that needs to be considered when deciding when to go for 2 points

So then, you factor in how inconsistent our offense had been at scoring all game, plus acknowledging how scenario #3 requires Cinci to score an additional FG after the first one, then I'd say the smart odds go with the 1-pt try. I don't want to get too overly critical here, but some forward thinking math skills might help certain people, and especially those who have previously struggled with clock management.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby pinpon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:04 pm

Thanks Mill for the write up and all your work through out the year. In the end, if we beat the Ratbirds we can't beat the Patsies. The window is closing on BR7. He's not the young pup anymore and all those shots he took early in his career under Arians are no help. Carson Palmer can't make it a year because Arians refuses to help his QBs.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:38 pm

StillMill wrote:
PGHeaven wrote:Mill - maybe I missed it - what did you think of Stooges 2 point attempt? To me - this is gross misconduct

My bad....I uploaded the wrong version of my article. I just corrected this. I despised the decision to go for 2 there.

:suplusone:

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:39 pm

LenSherwood wrote:PG Heaven... I was about to mention the stupid 2 point conversion also... It served NO purpose, unless I can be corrected. So you go up 26 to 20-- it still means that Cincy can go ahead with a TD. You need a field goal to win at that point. But if you miss it and odds are that you are going to, now if Cincy goes up a td, a field goal ties it, whereas if you kicked the fucking extra point, a field goal wins it. Maybe the Steelers should hire a game manager coach. Oh and kicking off to a guy who damn near ran it back at the end of the half...that was just WTF you idiot!~!

Hats off to Boswell.. One hell of an effort. Steelers are out of the playoffs if he doesn't have that game including the fingertip save on that play where there wasn't any kickoff coverage except for him.

And you had to hold your breath that they didn't lose Bell as he has a history with the Bungholes. They certainly are trying to lose him for the playoffs... It will be outrageous if they keep running him in the final game against Cleveland into the 4th quarter should they be winning and they fucking should be against an winless team.

I guess they can eek out a ass puckering win against the Ravens at home. But the Steelers went into Baltimore with the Ravens out of the playoffs and they were down to a QB they picked up out of football two weeks earlier. Baltimore had subs everywhere. It was a must win game for the Steelers to stay in the wild card race... AND the Steelers got schlonged. Now the game means something this year.

As to the playoffs they go through New England like usual. Everyone else is mediocre as shit including the Steelers. Tomlin doesn't beat the Patriots in New England does he? Assler is going to devise a scheme to beat Brady? Right.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:15 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:
Pump-N-Iron wrote:Great write up Mill, as always. My one question that no one seems to be addressing... How in the fuk did Burfict pass a concussion protocol? What legit doctor would see that hit, watch him wobble off the field, and say, no... he's fine???

Too small of a sample size. I'm guessing that there is not enough brain matter there to perform an adequate concussion test.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:09 pm

Just to harp more on the decision to go for 2.

Boswell is flawless in PAT so far this season. The team now is 3 for 9 when going for two, a 33% hit rate. Which means when we line up for a kick, we can expect to score 1, but when we line up to go for two, we can only expect to score only 0.67 (2 x 33.3%). We have gone for two more than any other teams by a huge margin, 9 times total, the number two team has gone for two 7 times. The median 2-point attempts is 2, the mean is 3. We are a huge statistical outlier in trying for two, and a miserable failure at it compared to the NFL average; in the NFL as a whole, going for two has a 48% hit rate on going for 2, and a 94% rate when going for one.

Thus, we have proof that we are statistical outliers on our ability to score a PAT when we kick, and on our inability to score when going for two. And then we go for two when it is a strategic error, as has been pointed out by others on this thread.

We have had no games where we won or lost by one point.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:01 pm

Pommah wrote:We have had no games where we won or lost by one point.

Although there IS an argument that the asinine 2-point strategy may have cost us the Cowboys game.

Return to Stillers Talk