Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Bills Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Bills Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:12 am

Stillers-Bills Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Hall of Famer

Re: Stillers-Bills Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby isfry » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:56 pm

Solid wrap, Mill. I agree with the grades for the most part. I don't agree that an onsides kick is ever "simple", but the game never should have come down to that, for sure.

Ben played like shit. Bell is insane, and Tomlin seems intent on running him into the ground before January. The young defenders (particularly Burns and Davis) appear to be coming along nicely. I will take a couple rookie gaffes here and there, combined with solid, aggressive play overall, over rotting on the bench for three years while the "qualified veterans" stink the place up. Let the young'uns play. LeBeau clearly left the fourth quarter gameplan in Butler's locker when he left, tho. Softee sitback, prevent and pray.

One more egglay narrowly averted and here come the Bungholes, who would love nothing more than to end our hopes like we dashed theirs last year. Only solace is Ben, despite his road woes (especially lately), tends to step up for divisional rivalry games. Fingers crossed...

Go Pats. (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...)

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:25 pm

The arrow is definitely pointing up for the defense, especially with Dupree back and Shazier flying all over the place. I totally agree with you isfry regarding the youngsters. What a fucking concept to actually start a rookie. The guys up front won that game for them on both sides of the ball. I can't remember the last time I said that.
I'm very leery as it seems every time we all think this team has turned the corner they turn around and shit the bed in epic fashion the following week. We shall see...
:suspense:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:14 pm

I almost forgot about Dupree, SoCal. He looked like a first round draft pick yesterday.

Practice Squad

Postby Matthew1516 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:39 pm

Dupree looked powerful, fast and decisive. Everything that Jarvis is not. I don't think the second sack was a Dong sack -- he got back up and pursued across the field. The defense as a whole is relentless these last 4 weeks -- flying to the ball and hitting. This looks like Pittsburgh football. A little more of this and James Harrison might actually get to retire before he's 40.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:55 pm

Good review as usual. Some other observations;

-Bell was in beast mode, but a lot of that has to do with the O.L. I keep hearing all this crowing about how Dallas has the best O.L. in the NFL and maybe that's true, but I wouldn't sneeze at the job this group has done all season.

-Sammy Coates picture needs to go up on a milk carton along with Jarvis Jones.

-Steelers are lucky to have nabbed K Chris Boswell when they did last season after the disaster that was Josh Scobee. One of a handful of K's that hasn't missed a PAT this season, and is 14 for 18 on the season in FGs; 2 of those were from beyond 50 yards, and 1 was blocked in the Philly blow-out when the guy totally missed his assignment. Other than Baltimore's Justin Tucker and Dallas's Dan Bailey, I don't think there's another better in the league.

-The softee defense at the end of the 4th quarter enraged me as well, particularly seeing as they shut them down for most of the game. What really pissed me off was not so much the scheme, but that the defenders suddenly forgot how to tackle the ball carrier. Steelers were bouncing off whoever had the rock like it was Techmo Bowl circa 1990. Unreal.

-Not going to be too critical, as quite frankly, it wouldn't have surprised me if they had lost here. Bills were still in playoff contention going in, and they usually play well at home. That said, next week's game against the Bungholes in Cinci scares me more than the Xmas day tilt against the Ratbirds for obvious reasons.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby ballhair » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:39 pm

What the fuck is big Ben's problem? How can a supposedly HOF QB at this stage of his career look so terrible?
This is mind bongling If Ben played just average without those dumb ass int's , we would of beat them by 30 points.
Someone needs to tell Ben to get his head out of his ass. This shit he pulls is getting old.

Practice Squad

Postby fuckNE » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:34 pm

I was only able to catch the 2nd half here. The comments and opinions are priceless to read as well as visualize. It feels strange that the fact that Ben played like shit that the team was able to carry him. The last time I remember that was in Detroit against the Sea-hags. If they are peaking, no better time than now. The negative is, if they reach the playoffs, NE and possibly hairballs would still be in the way.

I saw this game as an egg lay by Momlin and I was very surprised to see the score so lopsided on my phone. Lewis is against the ropes and fighting for his job. Last years debacle will have could make this Sunday's game a nail-biter. Ben's record playing in Ohio is pretty stellar, hopefully one more win to add next week could make this an interesting end.... BB

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:45 pm

After really digesting that game and with my game thread comment now ancient history I am probably going to piss everybody off, but aside from Bell and the OL I thought they stunk. Bell is gonna get beat up again. Yeah the D looked "great" for 3 quarters, but they should against who? Tyrod Taylor? Please. How in thee hell did it get that damn close? Yes, Ben terrible game and only got away with it because of the inept Bills offense lead by who? Tyrod Taylor? Please. I know we hate the poes, but that looming battle in Heinz 2 weeks away is the game I am thinking about. I was hoping that the Poes-Pats tilt tonight would give us a better barometer of where the poes really are, but without Gronk and Amendola it should be easier for the poes D, which has been stout. Poes weakness is running game. If Flacco has a solid game I think they win and that spells trouble for the Steelers as they have to keep winning especially in the division. My 2 cents, but what the hell do I know?

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:53 pm

Thanks again Still Mill - when I heard that Leveon broke FWP rushing record I waxed nostalgic - and remembered that you often groused at the Turtler for running his wheels off. I hope that is not a deja vu all over again.

Meanwhile - in another twist of irony, the Deflator is facing off against our historical enemies - the ratbirds. Like the Shiites and the Sunnis - it would be nice to see these two decimate each other. Although - since Marcia has undergone testicular augmentation - and come out in support of Donald J Trump - my venom for him has dissipated

We need the Patsys to put the rats down tonight folks. Why did Wallace have to recapture his form? Damn. Update: even though 2 patsy schumcks tried to do their best Twosaints impersonation - the Patsys held on to beat the Poes

We are in the driver seat

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:42 am

Not much to add to review. Victory high can disappear quickly with T, but Giants showed that they were no fluke and Sexy Rexy usually has a D that is respectable.
The KMA Butler has shown very good diversity in defensive game planning, very good.
Mr. Bell being shown in contrast to Jim Brown offers Steelers fans a show few are privileged to see. I don't recall that happening with former Bill Marshawn Lunch as a shehog. So happy to hear that Bell realizes that D's are trying to hurt him and get down and get a quick whistle, T MUST start working these refs or else this show will be stopped short of possible Emmy come January.
Don't understand others giving RottenHamburger a hard time. There was blizzard conditions, Haley going to the well once too often, and recievers that have only played 8 or 3 games with Steelers.....give him some room.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:09 pm

So...the cheats beat the rats (barely.) The Steelers now find themselves in what feels like a familiar situation. Win out against three beatable teams (two bad, one so-so, two of the 3 games at home) and you win the north and get a home playoff game. Easy peasy, right? Right?
:?

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:13 pm

PG Heaven said, "when I heard that Leveon broke FWP rushing record I waxed nostalgic - and remembered that you often groused at the Turtler for running his wheels off. I hope that is not a deja vu all over again."

No shit, PG. Bell better be wearing fucking kevlar knee braces in Cincy, cuz you know those dirty, mangy cats will be hunting his legs all day long...

Return to Stillers Talk