Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Jets Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Jets Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:13 pm

Stillers-Jets Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Stillers-Jets Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby Still Peon » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:44 am

Hard to fault your grades, as usual, but Coates will be needed down the stretch, and he played better than any #2 we could've put out there, plus then recovered nicely, along with initially setting the tone for the game Q1. I think the sun might've been in is eyes at one point, which would explain him grasping at air, so I think his grade should be higher. If AB had a game like Coates did today, you would've seen no booing or shit talking, and his balls would be well washed.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:42 am

Reading your analysis is always good for a few Monday morning laughs.
Starting to realize what separates AB from other recievers and cornerbacks, that is how fast he finds the ball when turning to look for it. Coates cannot do this, its hard to catch what you cannot see. Coates, therefore, good for crossing routes, posts, and go routes...where he has time to find the ball. Include DHB.
Finding the ball also required for CBs. This is an unmeasured stat that you will never find at the combines. Cockrell fair at it. He is the Steelers best cornerback. D with few sacks and no ints even against gambler Fitz is surely going to cost Steelers some games.
Overall, though, Ben carrying the Steelers. That rarely wins SBs (exception 49ers). The bEagles were able to blow up the center of Oline: center and 2 guards. Never been impressed by Pouncey and think Decastro a little overrated. The 2 games since the bEagles has shown the pure coaching knowledge and talent of the Munch. Center of Steelers line has been dominant against pretty good KC and Jest front 7s. Hats off to Mr. Pouncey etal!

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:33 pm

I agree with most of the grades, too. I also agree on a couple of bonehead play calls (fake FG, 3d and 15 draw play.)
However, I think a little more credit deserves to go to Munchak, and to the stopping of the run game by the D. The Jets have one or two good things going for them, their Dline and Matt Forte.
Their Dline had 11 sacks coming in and got only one, and that one was probably on Ben. The Steelers' rushing game was effective, and the pass pro (as Mill pointed out) was stellar. After the embarrassment in Philly two weeks ago, the O-line under Munchak has circled the wagons and done well.
As for Forte, he averaged over 70 a game coming in, and was held to 53 in a game that wasn't put away until well into the 4th Q.
Yes, Fitzpatrick threw like 9 picks in the last two weeks and none yesterday and, yes, Cockrell should have picked the lone TD pass to Marshall.
However, keep in mind the other team prepared and made adjustments, too.

All in all, a game that could have gotten away from Tomlin and crew in the 4th, as I'm sure we were all fearing, but it didn't. They closed the door and put it away.

It bears mentioning that, while next week against Miami may be a "classic trap game", so was yesterday.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:53 pm

-The final score doesn't indicate how close this one was until a few minutes left in the game. A combo of this team stepping up and The Jets ineptitude,(especially from their H.C.), made the final margin what it was. Seriously, I thought Bowels was trying to sink this game for his team with those dumb as fuck decisions he made late in the 4th.

-Last week it was Finney and now Hubbard stepping in on The OL and playing well. Obviously I don't want to see any more injuries, but it's nice to now the depth is there.

-Coates is looking like a combo of Bryant and Plaxico Burress, I.E.-He'll drop cake easy throws, then turn around and make the circus catches. I rather have that then the 2nd coming of Limas Sweed, in that he couldn't catch a cold.

-Next week's game actually has me more concerned than The Patriots game in 2 weeks. All the ingredients of a typical Tomlin egg lay are lined up; Suck ass opponent, road game, coming off a sizeable win, etc. I'm predicting a Steelers win, but one that won't be decided until the final minutes with this team playing down to it's level of competition. Again.

Practice Squad

Postby fuckNE » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:57 pm

I am in agreement with many of the comments above. The middle of the game had the feeling it could go either way against a team that will be lucky to win 4 games is the same song and dance from the head jaggoff in charge. Momlin has a 1-2 games to drop to reach his annual quota. They are lacking polish and execution so far. The this team has decent talent, could you only imagine how Belifuck would have them playing??

The offensive play calling in the middle of the game was dismal.The opening series after the receiving the kickoff in the second half was pure garbage. Run-Run- then the god awful Bubble Screen. In between all of that was 3 of the 5 drops by Coates. Why in the hell did they not line up Bell sooner at WR -insert DW at RB and move on?? They caught on later in the game and adjusted ( but of course no DW).

I also think not having Kenny Rogers out there in the slot is hurting more than we think. Will be good to get him back soon.

The old me would think of nothing of going to the Dolphin game next Sunday since it is local for us down here.
4 tickets, beer, food, tolls and gas = $600-800 for the day. Due to the nature and egg-laying history of this Mutt, I will watch it from my couch and save the money for a better use.

BB

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:50 pm

I know thus far I have been a doomsayer and I won't repeat the laments, but just reading the comments here after this game (a win remember?) and lumping them together I believe that most are just as disappointed despite the 4-1 record. So many glaring weaknesses, piss poor usage of the bench (DW anybody?), dumbfounded play-calling, etc. and they will be exploited by the right team/coach, e.g. the patriots. The only consolation I see at this point is the fairly weak schedule considering the current records (some a bit surprising) of the teams they will face going forward and the tomlin egg-laying. Same old - as Ben goes the team goes and ya' still need a stout D to win big games. BTW fuckNE said $600-800 for a 4 ticket outing to see an NFL game? I will never get to a game I suppose especially if I keep depositing my 2 cents worth here. :o

:subngtowl:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Still Peon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:33 pm

StillMill wrote:Of course, next week is the classic trap game, on the road against a bumbling Dolphins team that got whipped by Tenn. With a game on Oct 23 against Brady and the Pats, you can just envision Stoogelin and his merry crew venturing down to Florida next weekend, all haughty and mighty, and then pissing away a game against a feeble 1-4 Miami club.

It's fucking scary how predicable this is becoming.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:26 pm

Still Peon wrote:
StillMill wrote:Of course, next week is the classic trap game, on the road against a bumbling Dolphins team that got whipped by Tenn. With a game on Oct 23 against Brady and the Pats, you can just envision Stoogelin and his merry crew venturing down to Florida next weekend, all haughty and mighty, and then pissing away a game against a feeble 1-4 Miami club.

It's fucking scary how predicable this is becoming.

See my last paragraph in my post to what I wrote a week ago.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Still Peon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:33 pm

Steelers76 wrote:See my last paragraph in my post to what I wrote a week ago.

And yet, I think we were all in denial about it, even though we all knew it was coming. As if the horrible truth about our team historically spitting in the face of logic has become the new logic, and our brains can't fully assimilate it.

Return to Stillers Talk