Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Steelers Claim QB Zach Mettenberger Off Waivers

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Steelers Claim QB Zach Mettenberger Off Waivers

Postby Steelers76 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:37 pm

The Steelers have claimed QB Zach Mettenberger off waivers from The San Diego Chargers, and also placed QB Bruce Gradkowski on their injured/reserve list. Mettenberger, 25, has played his first 2 seasons with Tennessee where he saw action in 14 games, threw for 12 TDs, 14 INTs, 2,347 yards, and a QB Rating of 75.4.

Well, this looks to be Landry's back-up for this season. Hopefully we'll never see him in meaningful game action, but I'd rather have him in this position than Michael Vick or Bryn Renner.

Hall of Famer

Re: Steelers Claim QB Zach Mettenberger Off Waivers

Postby isfry » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:17 pm

How certain are we that Mettenberger isn't competing for Jones' spot?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:09 am

This guy played on a rather inept offensive team and now he is a few years in. Let's see what he can do in a different and more talented offense and it doesn't hurt that he has experience. Besides, you have to admit the guy's name fits right in. The roster is starting to look like a fast food menu.

:yes:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:00 pm

isfry wrote:How certain are we that Mettenberger isn't competing for Jones' spot?

Every report I've seen or read has said he's The Steelers 3rd string QB. At least for right now. Given the fact that he won't even be joining the team for their final pre-season game tonight in Carolina, I suspect that's the truth. If Ben gets hurt and Jones sucks, that will probably change,(see Vick and Jones last year), but I don't even want to think about that. Lol.

I'm seeing Mettenberger more as Ben's back-up replacement for next year. This is Landry's final contract season as a Steeler, and I don't see them rushing out to re-sign him after this. Then again, this is Colbert we're talking about.....

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:07 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:This guy played on a rather inept offensive team and now he is a few years in. Let's see what he can do in a different and more talented offense and it doesn't hurt that he has experience. Besides, you have to admit the guy's name fits right in. The roster is starting to look like a fast food menu.

:yes:

ROFLMAO.. :)

Return to Stillers Talk