Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Reaction to Lions Game

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Hall of Famer

Reaction to Lions Game

Postby isfry » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:08 pm

Way too early to tell too much but I was struck by a few things.
-Deebo is ageless.
-Doran Grant has a nose for the football (even though the pick redefined the word "dong.")
-Sean Davis appears to have trouble tackling.
-Shamarko Thomas (again) looks good in preseason. Let's see if he can ever see the field in a meaningful capacity.
-Villanueva needs HELP at LT.
-Richardson looks like he can run, not that we need a third running back (please tell me we don't need a third running back...

Nice to see the guys in uniform.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Reaction to Lions Game

Postby Steelers76 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:08 pm

-Piss poor tacking on defense and special teams.

-I still think Sammie Coates is going to have a good season, but he needs to stop carrying the rock like a newborn baby.

-Jordan Berry needs to punt like he did here when the games start counting, especially when it calls for him to flip the field.

-I was impressed by Daryl Richardson's as well, and apparently he has some NFL experience under his belt with The Rams. I would say keep him as the 3rd RB over Fitz 2saint, but given that the coaches rave about his pass blocking over his actual running skills, it's unlikely Richardson will make the team.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:21 pm

BTW, QB Matt Flynn is still sitting out there on the free-agent market.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:40 pm

Did not see the game so appreciate y'all getting something on here.

isfry: (1) I am thinking we do need a 3rd RB if history is a barometer.
(2) Mill has been crowing (in a good way) about Shamarko for 3 years, but we never get to see him except on ST. Hope
you are right.
(3) Doran Grant "nose for the ball". Familiar refrain. See #2.
(4) Deebo ageless and maybe jobless if Goodell has his way.
(5) Davis trouble tackling = Tomlin will play him.
(6) I like Villa as a player and a human. Hope he improves.

76: Why must they still have problems with a backup QB? Topic gittin' old now.
I said last year that Coates had promise and with Bryant away for the year it should be his turn to step up.

:subngtowl:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:50 pm

76: Why must they still have problems with a backup QB? Topic gittin' old now.
I said last year that Coates had promise and with Bryant away for the year it should be his turn to step up.

:subngtowl:[/quote]

I assume you haven't heard that Gradkowski tore his hamstring in this game and will be out a number of weeks? That leaves only Landry Jones as BR7's back-up QB. That's the 2nd straight pre-season that B.G. suffered a big injury. I think it's time for him to get on with his life's work and bring someone else in here that's at least capable of holding the fort and winning a few games should Ben get injured.(And face it, his injury history says that there's a good chance of that happening again this season.) That's why I suggested free-agent QB Matt Flynn. someone who has a history of doing the aforementioned.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:33 am

You're correct 76 I did not hear about B.G. injury. Still stuck in summer mode. Can't find anything to disagree with you and hoping Pouncey doesn't follow suit again this year.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:15 pm

Anybody know Matt Flynn's telephone number? Landry Jones SSUUCCKKSS!!!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:39 pm

isfry wrote:Anybody know Matt Flynn's telephone number? Landry Jones SSUUCCKKSS!!!

Remember the boasts from Tomlin about upgrading the back-up QB position?? Yeah, still waiting.

Meanwhile, Flynn, Jimmy Clausen, Josh Freeman, Charlie Whitehurst, and T.J. Yates are out there. And before anyone says it, spare me the old "They're out there for a reason." So was Chris Boswell for 2 years, and I guarantee you teams are kicking themselves for not giving him a shot.

Besides, we are talking fucking Landry Jones and Dusty Vaughn. :supissed:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:43 pm

Don't forget Bryn Renner now that Vaughn is out with fractured thumb. I know it is still summer, but who are these guys? And Jones has "solidified" himself as the #2. Is this the best they can do?

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:57 pm

I guess we should go easy on Jones. After all, one of those four picks was actually kinda catch-able. So really, only three picks in two quarters...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:27 pm

I recorded the game but never watched it. By the sounds of it, I'm glad I didn't watch. Maybe the Steelers are waiting for other teams to trim their rosters before making a move for another QB. Does anyone know when the first roster cuts take place?

:suxfingers:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:30 pm

Just heard the Steelers signed Bryn Renner.
Great! Now someone please tell me who the hell he is?

:?

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:28 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:Does anyone know when the first roster cuts take place?

If I understand correctly, teams must cut down to 75 players on August 30th, and prior to 4 p.m. on September 3rd they must reduce them to the final 53. Players placed on waivers in teams' final cut must be claimed by September 4th.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:33 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:Just heard the Steelers signed Bryn Renner.
Great! Now someone please tell me who the hell he is?

:?

Bryn Renner is a third year guy without a single snap in the NFL. The Steelers signed him so he could teach Landry Jones how to play quarterback.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:49 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:I recorded the game but never watched it. By the sounds of it, I'm glad I didn't watch. Maybe the Steelers are waiting for other teams to trim their rosters before making a move for another QB. Does anyone know when the first roster cuts take place?

:suxfingers:

From everything I've heard through the talking head media around here, that's apparently their "plan" I.E.-To wait until cuts and check the waiver wires at that point. That's great, but they're leaving too much to chance. Why not waive Brittle Bruce and sign T.J. Yates? He's only 29, and has had a history of being a solid back-up in this league. Just last season he helped to start and win games for Houston. If not, given Ben's injury history they better hope someone like E.J. Manuel gets cut by The Bills.(as has been rumored.) At least Tomlin didn't run out and re-sign his BFF Vick again. I think even he realized that lowlife is done.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:15 pm

Well at least we get to see (for a quarter, probably) what the real offense can do tonight...

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:38 pm

Oh. I guess today's actually Wednesday. Hmm...

Return to Stillers Talk