Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » 2016 NFL Draft Day 1 Review

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

2016 NFL Draft Day 1 Review

Postby haven » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:38 pm

2016 NFL Draft Day 1 Review has been posted by Steel Haven at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: 2016 NFL Draft Day 1 Review

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:52 am

Responsibility builds character and this young man has a lot on his plate. Given the relative equity of CB talent when the Steelers picked, I believe his character and maturity may have made him stand out above the others. That being said, I like the pick.

:surockin:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:08 am

I don't now anything about anything, and I know even less about Artie Burns. That having been said, I am excited about his size, speed, and apparent ball skills, given our secondary's lack of all three. On the flip side, I find it somewhat concerning that the one knock on him appears to be related to his physicality, toughness, and willingness to tackle. Aren't those the three reasons Boykin supposedly rotted on the bench for a year and then got sent packing?

As for the second pick, safety Sean Davis, I know even less. I will say, again, size and speed sound good. Carnell Lake is high on his versatility, having played corner last year, and his coverage skills. I like the fact that they finally bolstered the secondary with two high picks. Let's hope they pan out.

I suspect the intention is to try to convert Javon Hargrave into a pass rushing OLB, given our lack of production there, but I could be wrong. Either way, I like the idea of adding a guy who averaged 9 sacks a year for four years. We'll see how those sacks translate from South Carolina State to the Burgh.
Last edited by isfry on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:11 am

Another interesting thing is going to be watching how Butler approaches rookies. Dick liked to let them sit and watch for three years, then shine for one and split in free agency. What's the harm in letting some young blood out on the field to bolster one of the league's worst secondaries? Start 'em early so they're ready for the stretch run, I say.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Sun May 01, 2016 6:41 pm

You beat me to it isfry regarding the way rookies on D have been handled. And I don't know anything about anything either when it comes to this stuff, but I doubt that all the "experts" know anymore. Greatness or not in college ball I find to be a lousy barometer for success or failure in the NFL. Now anxious to see how much we get to see these guys actually play. Offense is solid and just repeating what everybody else is saying/thinking about Pouncey, Bell, TE position, etc. And to prove I don't know anything about anything what is the thinking about backup QB or QB of future? Anybody?

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon May 02, 2016 11:22 am

Call me Captain Optimism, Six, but I get the impression that the Steelers' brass is finally awake to the idea that it's now or never with BR7. We have a 2 year window within which to seriously compete for a championship. Every pick, at least the high ones, seem designed to feel a need NOW and make a run with Ben while we still can. I agree that at some point we need to think about Ben's successor, but there doesn't seem much point in drafting a QB in the 4th or 5th round, and the high picks were needed elsewhere. just my take on it. I could totally be wrong...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon May 02, 2016 12:52 pm

I think you are probably right Capt. Optimism and I made some reference to the urgency of another SB run in the other draft thread we have been kicking around in.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon May 02, 2016 3:28 pm

I'm willing to take it a step farther and declare isfry is way above Captain when it comes to optimism. I think a much more appropriate title to bestow would be Admiral Optimism.

:cheers:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Tue May 03, 2016 7:57 am

SoCal Stiller wrote:I'm willing to take it a step farther and declare isfry is way above Captain when it comes to optimism. I think a much more appropriate title to bestow would be Admiral Optimism.

Agreed
:suplusone:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue May 03, 2016 6:26 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:I'm willing to take it a step farther and declare isfry is way above Captain when it comes to optimism. I think a much more appropriate title to bestow would be Admiral Optimism.

I've certainly been called worse...

:surockin:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby madmoney125 » Wed May 04, 2016 3:07 pm

Whoa! First post in a long time. Still check in, but have issues with the site a lot of the time. You guys got me feeling we can make another Superbowl run. Gotta get our rookies on the field though! Playing is the best way to learn!

Return to Stillers Talk