Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Steelers Off-Season Needs?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Steelers Off-Season Needs?

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:20 pm

So what would you say is The Steelers biggest needs this off-season that need addressed, either through free-agency or the draft? I'll start by listing my top 5;

-1.) Cornerback. This should be self-explanatory to anyone with half a brain who actually watched this defense this past season.

-2.) Defensive Line. Got to start creating more consistent pressure on the opposing QB. You saw what that did for Denver against Brady and The Cheats in The AFC Title Game. Tommy B. isn't so awesome when he has to run for his life on every other play, is he?

-3.) Back-Up/No.2 Quarterback. Vick is obviously done, and Landry Jones is shaky at best. In his final press conference of the season I was pleasantly surprised that Tomlin did not give L.J. a vote of confidence in The No.2 QB Role. Tomlin said something to the effect that he was "exploring (his) options." About fucking time. Ben will be 34 next season, and dare I say he's been injury prone his entire career. Time to stop leaving his understudy role to failed draft picks or past their prime players. That said, I hope they don't use a draft pick to fill this spot. Never really a good idea to draft a QB to strictly be a back-up.(See again Landry Jones.)

-4.) Offensive Line. Although the O.L. performed above expectations this past season, it's never a bad idea to stay ahead of the curve and keep your franchise QB well protected.

-5.) Punter. A lot will laugh at this notion but this is a position that is vital, yet often goes overlooked. Berry punted like garbage all season, and the cherry on top of the shit sundae came in The Divisional Game in Denver. Seriously, when the Steelers had to punt from deep in their own side, how many times did Berry get off a dogshit kick instead of, I don't know, flipping the fucking field?! I'd look for a Punter in free-agency before I would drafting one, and/or signing an undrafted free-agent. They usually come cheap, and the investment would be well worth it in the long run.

Your picks?

Hall of Famer

Re: Steelers Off-Season Needs?

Postby isfry » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:43 pm

1. Cornerback
2. Head Coach
3. Punter
4. Head Coach
5. Head Coach

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:09 pm

isfry wrote:1. Cornerback
2. Head Coach
3. Punter
4. Head Coach
5. Head Coach

:suplusone:

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:17 pm

All good on the stillers pre draft front

I agree with the strategy and with the sentiment. We all know that its more fun than prescient to participate in the annual draft class fantasy

note : Senquez Golsen is cleared for full participation. With a deep CB pool you can bet that Colbert will wait unless someone remarkable falls into our lap.

What happens with Ramon will be a big tell.

I think Nose Tackle is where we need help

Safety with some keen executive functioning would be nice

1. Best player available
2. CB
3. Nose tackle
4. OL
5. QB

I hope they keep James - I want that superhuman conservative punisher around as long as he is willing and able. He is the YING to Mommies YANG

Practice Squad

Postby clyde » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:04 am

D line, tall corner, o line, d line, punter. Get a back up qb free agant

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:05 pm

I disagree with the whole "you have to draft the best player available when it's your turn to pick in the first round" philosophy simply for this; What if you have a wealth of depth at a certain position already, and the player that is the "best available" is at that position? For example when the Steelers go to draft this year, what if the "best available" is at WR? Or RB? And the 2nd best is a CB? You mean to tell me under that guise of logic the Steelers would draft that WR and or RB, and skip out on The Corner?!?

I'm sorry, but if that actually happened Colbert should be fired right then and there. The only scenario where they shouldn't draft a CB would be if they picked up a good one in free-agency, I.E.-Carolina's Josh Norman for example, and face it; That ain't gonna happen.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Nashsteeler » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:18 pm

Are there any safeties with a first round grade? Need one of those even more than a corner imo.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:15 pm

Nashsteeler wrote:Are there any safeties with a first round grade? Need one of those even more than a corner imo.

Have no idea, but probably. Haven't researched the draft really in depth yet.

I have seen a couple of early mock drafts that have them either taking Ohio St. CB Eli Apple in the 1st round, or Arkansas TE Hunter Henry.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Nashsteeler » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:52 am

Have no idea, but probably. Haven't researched the draft really in depth yet.

I have seen a couple of early mock drafts that have them either taking Ohio St. CB Eli Apple in the 1st round, or Arkansas TE Hunter Henry. - See more at: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6050#sthash.VGhnYQPn.dpuf

I could live with either of those selections, with the aging of Heath Miller. I don't think Apple will fall that far, though.

Return to Stillers Talk