Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:28 am

Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Practice Squad

Re: Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby clyde » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:07 am

Well who would have seen this kind of win coming? As usual the steelers plated an ugly game and some how won, but I don't see a win next week. When will this coach tie up all the loose ends like not letting the other teams punt returner catch the ball or too much celebrating after a td and getting penalized? We could win a lot more games if the head coach would pay attention to details. Never the less thank god we won I would not have slept if we would have lost to this soft bunch of chumps from Cindy,

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:34 am

Uncharacteristically kind wrap up by Mill. I thought Ben
underperformed. I was ENRAGED that Momlin went for 2 points - a recent trademark of his stupidity.
Last edited by PGHeaven on Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:08 pm

I would give Ben credit not so much for his play but his leadership, especially having the guts to go back out there as it was clear that Jones was a deer in the headlights. Palmer Sucks wrote an article that was clearly on the mark about who is the leader of this team and it clearly isn't Tomlin. With steely determination, Ben made plays with half an arm. That takes fucking guts and damn it, that counts. This vaunted offense is sputtering though... That has happened with Haley's offenses--they have some statistically incredible games and then they go dead. Just in time for the playoffs!

Give Shazier the Hard Hat Mill... His game deserved it. He was a force, a playmaker, and he saved that game with a smart play to strip the ball.

One last thing, a special Fuck you to Cincinnati, its thug team and its fuckhead fans. There are some guys on that team who deserve getting a knee taken out.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:10 pm

LenSherwood wrote:I would give Ben credit not so much for his play but his leadership, especially having the guts to go back out there as it was clear that Jones was a deer in the headlights. Palmer Sucks wrote an article that was clearly on the mark about who is the leader of this team and it clearly isn't Tomlin. With steely determination, Ben made plays with half an arm. That takes fucking guts and damn it, that counts. This vaunted offense is sputtering though... That has happened with Haley's offenses--they have some statistically incredible games and then they go dead. Just in time for the playoffs!

Give Shazier the Hard Hat Mill... His game deserved it. He was a force, a playmaker, and he saved that game with a smart play to strip the ball.

Give Boswell a hard hat too... not that kickers are the toughest guys on the team, but his play last night was stellar.. those kicks were STRAIGHT THROUGH THE UPRIGHTS. There was no wondering about it hooking or sailing. In the rain, he delivered that game.

One last thing, a special Fuck you to Cincinnati, its thug team and its fuckhead fans. There are some guys on that team who deserve getting a knee taken out.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:41 pm

Somehow my tablet keeps erasing my comments, wont write it again. T had a good game, 2pt correct call. Sherwood right about Ben. And Miss Shazier. Finally saw him actually hit somebody, it was a Baltimoron game that toughened Ben after a call out by Ward. Steeler RBs stellar and may pleasantly surprise us the rest of the way. Oh and I hope a meteor hits Slurfict and cincy stadium just before next season start, give em as much time to wallow in their $hit for a team and coach AND LOSS as possible!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:41 pm

I agree that this shit about going for 2 every TD has to stop. That single point at the end of the 4th qtr is critical. And how in the hell did this D allow a backup QB to score 2 TD's on them? The PI call late 2nd 1/2, all he had to do was turn his fucking head & appear to look for the ball - result? No flag & possibly preventing a big play.

That TD on the left sideline, Gay & Mitchell looked at each other not knowing who was supposed to cover that receiver. Absolutely FUCKING EMBARRASSING!

:suahhbs:

The way that SHIT EATING NOOGIE SLUG THUG burfict hit AB, he could've paralyzed him or killed him. Players like the old Jack Tatums do not belong in this league - FUCKING PERIOD!

Like the poll says, this isn't a true SB contending team. Now that we won in post season, we'll be stuck with Momlin for the unforeseeable future.

:sushootem:

I had a concussion from screaming at the sports bar just watching this wretched drama match being played out.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:59 pm

M.Lewis knows Barf ict history including at ASU getting 3 personal foul calls one, yeah one, drive. Harrison hit hard but clean, Barf ict history much worse. Lewis should pay price like Greg williams, Barf ict should go the way of Pete Rose.

Practice Squad

Postby FuckTomBrady » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:26 am

Fantastic job by the back up RB's, Croissant and Todman. What a job by Munch on this O Line.

I almost fainted to see there were 3 time outs remaining when Ben took the field under 2 minutes. For the first time ever Under Momlin, they used them
properly >>>>EVER

I have always been a Joey Porter fan. To see him take the field for A. Brown and defend a player was awesome, yet mysterious, or was it? JP always talked trash, however I think there was no better time to be out there even though it could have drawn a penalty.( Ref's has the discretion to flag a team depending on the injury or situation for a coach to be on the field.) Watching Decastro get his 300 Lb plus frame off the ground jumping when he saw the flag on Jones was funny

The fighting trash talking, dancing, celebrating like they won the fucking powerball has to stop. 9 excessive celebrating penalites this season are inexcusable. If this coach doesn't address this bullshit sooner than later, we will become what people despise Cincy for if we already haven't.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:44 am

-Not to put the cart ahead of the horse, but this game showed why next season how important it is to have a capable, viable back-up QB to BR7. Vick I'm just assuming is gone as team mascot,(although he's better in that role than playing QB), and Jones looks like someone plucked a 2nd string Arena Football League QB and inserted him in the NFL. That AZ game in which he lead the team to a win is looking more and more like a fluke. As I've said before not only is Big Ben proven to be injury prone throughout his career, but he will be 35 next season. Time to stop simply throwing up the white flag and surrendering everytime Ben gets hurt. It's not like that on every team, and it doesn't have to be that way moving forward.

-On the 2 point conversion play Ben had a wide open lane to run it in when he stepped up, but instead threw behind Wheaton for The Inc. He's becoming too chained to the pocket. Got to take what they are giving you, particularly when it's staring you right in the face.

-Thank you, Jordan Todman, for making it look like I know what I'm talking about. All week I kept saying I wish they would give him his fair share of carries during the game, and he responded with 65 on only 11 shots. Not bad for a 4th string RB.

-Finally like Len, I say a big FUCK YOU to The Bungholes and their equally classless, lowlife fans from their Queer City. You all deserve each other. But don't worry, at least you have the Reds. Oh wait; They suck too! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! 25 years and counting without a playoff win. Consider Cleveland, Jacksonville, Oakland, and Buffalo, among others, have won a more recent post-season game than that shit franchise. You couldn't script that joke any better. :sufu:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby relictele » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:45 pm

As someone who was, through circumstance and against my will, around the Bengals and their (fair weather) fan base for many years, I have studied them as anthropologists study other dysfunctional cultures.

They are still deservedly neck-deep in the bad karma built up from years of penury, mismanagement and nonmanagement. I have never seen a chief executive, with the possible exception of the current US president, who has had more people making more excuses for him than Mike Brown except that Brown has been in his office for decades and will hold it until his death. Brown is inevitably described as as thoughtful, intelligent, caring individual who literally wouldn't hurt a fly (he tries to shoo them through an open window). Despite Paul Brown's stature and achievements the reality is that he was never wealthy and, as a Depression kid, watched his pennies carefully - something his son carried on despite a relatively comfortable upbringing. The Brown family shamed the NFL into granting them a franchise so they could exact revenge on Art Modell and the Brown family enjoyed perfect timing and a lottery-like return on investment as the NFL took off in the Super Bowl/color TV era. Mike Brown (and, it must be said, the Rooneys) will consistently vote to maintain the status quo on various matters. But unlike the Rooneys, Brown has never admitted to himself or others that he does not know everything about football and insisted on going without a proper front office/scouting/GM setup for most of his tenure. The resulting slow-motion disaster is well-documented.

And so the Bengals' tightfisted ways are legendary and a source of (grim) humor from all who were unfortunate to be under contract as players or coaches. Their longtime practice facility, Spinney Field, was essentially a vacant lot with grass (or turf) in a godforsaken section of Cincinnati very close to - and downwind from - a sewage treatment plant. The air reeked 365 days a year.

Riverfront Stadium was no better or worse than Three Rivers or any of the other cookie cutter multipurpose types but Brown refused to fill the end zones with a logo or even diagonal lines. The claim was that removing the paint would have been expensive and/or difficult but that didn't seem to affect any other NFL/MLB combinations.

In terms of fan base the Bengals faced multiple problems:
1) Ohio State is, was, and will forever be the dominant football program and font of fan culture in the state
2) Existing pro football fans in the state regardless of location supported the Browns team, especially given their success in the 50s and 60s
3) Cincinnati wasn't that big a market
4) Cincinnati was and is a Reds baseball town first

Some of these hurdles were known, some unknown, some controllable, some happenstance but the Bengals have consistently compounded their problems and their fans long ago became cynical and ready to jump on and off the bandwagon on short notice (see the 1988 Missing Rings episode of America's Game).

It also shouldn't be forgotten that Brown preceded Art Modell by several years in threatening to move his franchise to Baltimore, mostly as a ruse to get a new stadium (the financing of which is still being disputed).

The Bengals view fan loyalty as an ATM rather than a security that will mature and appreciate. For example, with the Patriots dominating the NFL and visiting Cincinnati, the Bengals inexplicably restricted the tailgating hours in lots under their control in a bid to force fans into the stadium as early as possible and to make them even more of a captive audience for $12 beers and $10 hamburgers.

In latter years, with Brown aging and no doubt desperate, they have looked the other way as a string of bad actors, criminals, drunks, etc. were issued uniforms. And then there is the early 90s gang rape story that was all but suppressed in the pre-Internet era. The rest of the NFL is hardly a monastery but Cincinnati's concentration of miscreants can't be mere statistical noise.

That's a long way of explaining that the Bengals are reaping what they have sown. It doesn't excuse any of the Steelers' errors or bad decisions on the night but it does reinforce some of the long-term thinking that would allow the feral Burfict and Jones to remain on the team regardless of their abilities.
Last edited by relictele on Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:54 pm

In short, the answer to the question posed by the Bengals is easy. "Dey dey."

Return to Stillers Talk