Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » RB Situation Going Into Cinci?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

RB Situation Going Into Cinci?

Postby Steelers76 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:07 pm

So it looks like we may not have Williams at RB going into Cinci for The Wildcard Playoff game this Saturday. If that's the case, what do you think they should/will do with the run game?

I'm not as worried about this as some are, but maybe I should be. If The Bungholes stack the line with 7-8 defenders that will leave man coverage with our WRs, which I believe will favor us.(Especially if Bryant pulls his head out of his ass.) As far as the run game, I wouldn't just keep Touissaint in there the majority of the time. Todman won't make anyone forget about Franco Harris or even Issac Redman, but he's had a sliver of success in the NFL,(Well, more than what The Steelers have trotted out for their past 2 playoff games, which I know says almost nothing), and has a better chance of busting a long one than F.T. Call me optimistic, but I think they'll end up being O.K. *knocks on wood.*

Your thoughts?

Hall of Famer

Re: RB Situation Going Into Cinci?

Postby isfry » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:19 pm

As someone else pointed out on another thread, the most important part of the running game this weekend may likely be the pass blocking and the dump-off outlets. Whatever package puts us in the best position to protect Ben and give him a safety valve, whether that's two TE's, rotating 2Saint, Todman, and Johnson, or some combination of the above, is the way to go, especially if Cincy stacks the line as you propose. If they do, and we give Ben time, look out for the fifty burger he could put up on them. Ironically, losing Nix may be as devastating as losing Williams, as he has proven to be a solid blocker. Whatever the case, I think we are better off than last year's similar situation, as we are not signing someone off the street to learn the system and the blocking packages days before the game.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:20 pm

I'm not sure which one is better at blocking in the backfield, but that is who I would choose.
Otherwise, I would rather have Jesse James or Heath in the backfield which provides better protection and a better and taller outlet. I think 2 TE sets would be better than having either one of these RB's behind Ben. They could spread the field with 3 WR's and 2 TE's, plus Ben could always audible one of the TE's in motion into the backfield for blitz protection.

:supimpin:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:22 pm

Great minds think alike, right isfry? Our posts were one minute apart.
:suplusone:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:24 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:Great minds think alike, right isfry? Our posts were one minute apart.
:suplusone:

Ha! Just saw that, too. Reality is that protecting Ben is clearly the key. Period.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:32 pm

Whatever they end up doing, if it doesn't work they better be able to make adjustments and do what is needed to win out. Whatever those adjustments are remain to be seen... :suspense:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:01 pm

"Adjustments?" What is this "adjustments" word you speak of? I am not familiar with that term...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:06 pm

isfry wrote:"Adjustments?" What is this "adjustments" word you speak of? I am not familiar with that term...

:cheers: L.O.L.

That thought is what makes me nervous about this game. They have all the pieces in place, but they need some brains that I doubt they have at H.C. I mean, c'mon - these are the Bengals after all...

:suxfingers:

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby High5 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:11 am

I think De Williams will play . :cheers:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:13 pm

So, does anyone know which RB gets the start yet?

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:44 pm

I got the impression it was Toussaint's job to lose, and that Tomlin was trying to be secretive by implying he wasn't sure who would start if DW couldn't go. I could be wrong.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:19 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:So, does anyone know which RB gets the start yet?

I guess D.W. has just been ruled "out" for tomorrow's game. So has Dalton for Cinci.

To answer your question, everything I've heard or read points to 2-Saint. Last Sunday when they were fielding calls on the post-game show, most fans wanted to know why Todman wouldn't see most of the action at RB, to which host Bob Pompeani replied that he was under the impression that the team liked his blocking out of the backfield more than J.T., even though he has the breakaway speed of a sloth. Take that for what it's worth.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:53 pm

Like I said before, whoever blocks better to save Ben's ass should get the start.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:35 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:Like I said before, whoever blocks better to save Ben's ass should get the start.

Yup.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:24 pm

Here's a stat that possibly favors the Steelers; Since the 2008 playoffs, 5 of the past 7 AFC No. 6 Seeds have beaten The No. 3 Seeds. Again, take that for what you will.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:42 am

Steelers76 wrote:Here's a stat that possibly favors the Steelers; Since the 2008 playoffs, 5 of the past 7 AFC No. 6 Seeds have beaten The No. 3 Seeds. Again, take that for what you will.

If anyone on the team does read and checkout this site, I will point out it would be good counsel NOT TO OVERLOOK THIS PLAYOFF DROUGHT RAVAGED BENGALS TEAM. If they think that they're going to saunter in there and have them lay down, we are totally FUCKED this post season.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:14 am

Will Flake open the game at starting corner? The outcome of the game is directly related to how many plays this asshat is covering AJ Green. How in the fuckin wide world of sports does this guy get run out there week after week while Boykin rots the bench the majority of the game? Someone needs to get those compromising photos of Tomlin from him.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:38 pm

I agree with the defense posts. This game will hinge on how well the defense plays. If the LBs run wild and create turnovers - the defense becomes part of the offense.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:42 pm

"I agree with the defense posts. This game will hinge on how well the defense plays. If the LBs run wild and create turnovers - the defense becomes part of the offense."

Will we see the 7 yd softee coverage scheme? That is the question. Tuitt and Heyward both need to have a big day.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:20 pm

Crucible-steel-kid wrote:
Steelers76 wrote:Here's a stat that possibly favors the Steelers; Since the 2008 playoffs, 5 of the past 7 AFC No. 6 Seeds have beaten The No. 3 Seeds. Again, take that for what you will.

If anyone on the team does read and checkout this site, I will point out it would be good counsel NOT TO OVERLOOK THIS PLAYOFF DROUGHT RAVAGED BENGALS TEAM. If they think that they're going to saunter in there and have them lay down, we are totally FUCKED this post season.

Like they did against the sorry ravens.

Next

Return to Stillers Talk