Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Browns Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Browns Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:25 pm

Stillers-Browns Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers-Browns Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:22 am

"The offense pissed and farted for 3 quarters before finally getting it in gear in the 4Q."

"The 1st half was a comedy zone of blunders and boners – a dropped pass, a fumble, 2 false starts, illegal contact, hands to face, and tackling technique befitting schoolchildren at a local elementary school."

This year's team proves that sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Let's hope the luck continues.
Can someone please explain to me why in the hell Dumblin still keeps running Blake out there week after week? WTF? It completely defies all logic.
At least we have one more week of football to watch. Better than being a Jets fan this morning.

:subngtowl:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

Been saying the same thing about Blake in the game thread each week SoCal. When Tomlin finally, albeit reluctantly it seems, decided to give others a chance in the secondary weeks ago he also said that he was still going to give the original gang opportunities to "rebound". As I have said before getting tired of the "rebounds". Just seems like his ego or he wants to be liked plays a big part in his decisions.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:53 pm

-Good point about Bryant. IDK what his problem(s) have been in the past few weeks, but he needs to stop doing his best Limas Sweed imitation and just play like he is capable of doing.

-I'm not sure if this was Ben on his own or Haley's play-calls, but these low percentage, 40-50 yard bombs when it's 3rd and short/3rd and makeable need to go, or be greatly reduced. I can see doing one every now and then, but the amount called this season has been puzzling.

-Defense played better this week as a whole, but that's obviously not high praise considering the opponent. And as you touched on, way too many missed tackles on the ball carriers. I counted at least 2-3 times in this game where the Steelers defense/special teams actually ran into one another while feebly trying to tackle the runner like The Keystone Cops. Embarrassing.

-Small correction; Steelers last playoff win was January 2011.(For the 2010 Season.) But I can understand that oversight, as it def. feels much longer.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:22 pm

Thanks for the work that you put in each and every writeup each and every week. Hope that you recieve some remunerations for your consistent efforts Still.
It suddenly dawned on me during the game how valuable Will Allen has become to this so called D. He must have watched all those Carnell Lake tapes of the Steel Curtain. Mitchell also playing well. Secondary unfairly maligned when you see this. Note pitiful pressure or knockdown on opposing QB. If our Dline could start winning some 1on1s these corners start looking a lot better. Sure glad VW getting more snaps....he is a leader, possibly a disruptor, Dupree HAS to find some production.
In Haley's early time as OC he had a knack for being predictable, Ben revealing exactly how much they think the same on the Int to the LB, D held their ground, credit Buttlerhead. 2Saint could be productive chipping and outlet catch for Ben, although run game dangerously nonexistant. Quick, Mr Colbert, sign a decent running back from a team that is out. Cut Clouncey and Miss Shazier to pay for it.

Practice Squad

Postby clyde » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:20 pm

I think Blake keeps playing because he knows where the bodies are buried.

Practice Squad

Postby FuckTomBrady » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:40 am

Given the roller coaster of injuries and inconsistency this team has shown, it is a miracle they reached the post season. The late season barrage of Big Ben's interceptions during the final 3 road games are more than concerning. Plain and simple, this team will go only as far as Ben's play will take them. be The defense's inability to get off of the field is more than a nightmare. If the 3rd and inches play call becomes the fucking 67 yards bomb into triple coverage we have seen lately, get used to seeing our vaunted defense on the field way too much, which is where we DON"T want them....

Of course I am very happy the Black and Gold have made the post season, however the question is simple and my concern given what this coaches style and game preparation, or lack there of. I am happy they made it, however refuse to get excited given the fact I think this coach is all smoke (and pointing his finger at) mirror's.....

Thanks Mill for the best no hold's game and player weekly analysis. I laugh my ass off every Monday am to get the week started off on the right foot.
Thanks again and Happy New Year, BB

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:23 pm

FuckTomBrady wrote: The late season barrage of Big Ben's interceptions during the final 3 road games are more than concerning. Plain and simple, this team will go only as far as Ben's play will take them.

Ups to DeAngelo for his hard running, but he scares Ds the way Bettis did, he is not going to break one for 80yds. Big Ben IS carrying this team..... entirely. That is why 50+attempts and INTs. Which reminds me, Cody please get a clean, devastating cut block on Vontaze or Nelson hopefully both.

Practice Squad

Postby FuckTomBrady » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:59 am

fred wrote:
FuckTomBrady wrote: The late season barrage of Big Ben's interceptions during the final 3 road games are more than concerning. Plain and simple, this team will go only as far as Ben's play will take them.

Ups to DeAngelo for his hard running, but he scares Ds the way Bettis did, he is not going to break one for 80yds. Big Ben IS carrying this team..... entirely. That is why 50+attempts and INTs. Which reminds me, Cody please get a clean, devastating cut block on Vontaze or Nelson hopefully both.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/9 ... z3w82i5qJX

Fred, Very accurate and spot on article about Ben and his play. Wallace has been playing sloppy and Villenueva has struggled in the last few games. If Gilbert can stay under his weekly quota of 7 penalties, I would think there might be a chance.
After reading and reviewing what can work and not work to keep them alive I am sure I am not the only one who has noticed: 1. we haven't seen much of the hurry up, this may be a good opportunity to keep Cincy off balance given D. Williams wont play and 2. Maybe Butler puts constant pressure on the QB and goes man to man....Anyway, it is hard to expect a great game given how bipolar this team plays. BB

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:22 pm

FuckTomBrady wrote:
fred wrote:

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/9 ... z3w82i5qJX

Fred, Very accurate and spot on article about Ben and his play. Wallace has been playing sloppy and Villenueva has struggled in the last few games. If Gilbert can stay under his weekly quota of 7 penalties, I would think there might be a chance.
After reading and reviewing what can work and not work to keep them alive I am sure I am not the only one who has noticed: 1. we haven't seen much of the hurry up, this may be a good opportunity to keep Cincy off balance given D. Williams wont play and 2. Maybe Butler puts constant pressure on the QB and goes man to man....Anyway, it is hard to expect a great game given how bipolar this team plays. BB

Here's hoping "Good Ben" shows up, then.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:37 pm

Here's hoping "Good Ben" shows up, then.[/quote]

MLewis is going to drop 8 into coverage, dare 2saint to beat them with his legs (I believe it was Labriola that dropped some film of 2saint vs Brownies, 2saint looked very good!). This will throw big wrench in timing routes and on occasion get a reciever decked simply because the field flooded with defenders. Expect both picks and deep routes while underneath routes and either broken tackles or TOs make the difference. Ben needs patience and like he did against NE a few years back really play clock control from 1st qtr.....

Practice Squad

Postby FuckTomBrady » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:55 pm

fred wrote:Here's hoping "Good Ben" shows up, then.

MLewis is going to drop 8 into coverage, dare 2saint to beat them with his legs (I believe it was Labriola that dropped some film of 2saint vs Brownies, 2saint looked very good!). This will throw big wrench in timing routes and on occasion get a reciever decked simply because the field flooded with defenders. Expect both picks and deep routes while underneath routes and either broken tackles or TOs make the difference. Ben needs patience and like he did against NE a few years back really play clock control from 1st qtr.....[/quote]

Ben needs patience and like he did against NE a few years back really play clock control from 1st qtr.....[/quote]

That's the part that I can't understand. The lack of concern and clock control when it is 3rd and short and he is throwing 59 yard bombs... I get they like the 1 on 1 with our strength of receivers Vs a weak opponent covering or guy, hopefully they reel him in and have him manage the game a bit more for Time of Poss.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:14 pm

FuckTomBrady wrote:
That's the part that I can't understand. The lack of concern and clock control when it is 3rd and short and he is throwing 59 yard bombs... I get they like the 1 on 1 with our strength of receivers Vs a weak opponent covering or guy, hopefully they reel him in and have him manage the game a bit more for Time of Poss.

I like the idea of stretching the D once in a while to exploit a one on one and keep them honest, but I totally agree that five or six times a game on third and short is just stupid. Move the chains, get a new set of downs, and put a drive together, for chrissake. Maybe the best thing you could do for our defense is put up points, but the second best thing is to give them some time on the bench.

Return to Stillers Talk