Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » My thoughts on the Seatle game

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

My thoughts on the Seatle game

Postby ballhair » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:35 am

I by no means am a expert on football. These are just a few of my observations of the game yesterday so take them for what their worth. I'm probably wrong but this is how I feel for some reason.
1) I have a love - hate relationship with big Ben. Overall I feel like thank God we have QB as good as him especially after looking around the league and seeing all the sub QB's out there. Since he has joined the team it has made watching the Steelers fun again. Having said that, I feel Ben shits the bed too much anymore in games. Just seems too inconsistent. Our red zone offense sucks ass. Ben is Brady,Rodgers and Bress till he hits the redzone. You just know a FG is coming up like they are playing for that. This shit gets old. Score some F**king TD's .
2) Did you notice on most of the long passes Ben Threw downfield yesterday especially to Bryant, that the ball was underthrown? Bryant as well as Brown had to slow down and try to come back for the ball.
If Ben would of put the ball out there better we would of had four TD's. Very disappointing.
3)WE all know and knew our defense sucks. I fiqured Ben better score 40 points cause Wilson will destroy us, which he did.
4) When Seattle's receivers were catching the ball they were wide open, no one within 5-7 yards. Our receivers always had two guys in their face.
5) This season is over for us now. You can't be a serious contender with this bad of defense.
6) Deangelo Willaims has to be the greatest free agent the Steelers ever signed.
7) Shazier got hurt again. He can't take the punishment obviously. With his Olive Oil physique either make a safety out of him or get rid of him.

Just my 2 cents.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: My thoughts on the Seatle game

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:16 am

Some good points. For some reason I hold my breath a lot as Ben airs it out and a lot of his passes are under thrown, sail high, or in the dirt. Just watching the game yesterday it seems they have an awesome stable of receivers as evidenced by the 3rd receiver pulling down so many catches. Certainly the blanketing of AB and Bryant contributed, but how many teams have this luxury? The Steelers secondary way too soft and giving too much cushion. Is this the plan or do they not have the talent? Probably somebody rotting the bench as Mill would say. Agree that they have little chance to get in play-offs. Yes, Williams has been a great addition - imagine what could have been last year with him to take over for Bell. Where the hell was he yesterday in the game plan? Not his fault for sure. Also agree with the Shazier comment. Seems he cannot take the physical abuse. I will ask what happened to the DL yesterday and QB pressure? And finally Tomlin continues to "go with his gut" and costs them points I think. In the end how much of the stuff we see from Ben is due to covering up poor coaching?

Practice Squad

Postby clyde » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:53 am

I agree with everything that was said. Ben is not the kind of ab who should throw the ball 50 times a game. Run the ball and try to keep this sad defense off the field. They can't cover my grand mother. And no one can figure out why. Is it coaching or talent? When free agency comes around they need to get the best free agent corner out there I think that would make a difference. If they would have done that when Revis or the dude on Denver were available if might be a different story today. Rod Woodson at his age could do better than this.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:42 pm

All very good observations - but who is the fungus among us? I say it is Tomlin - sock puppet of the Top ass smoocehr himself - Danny Boy the castle dweller

How is it that everyone sees the glaring problems - but they are ignored by Momlin?

The same could be said of this pissant marxist Kenyan in our White house.

Nothing will stay fixed as long as Stalin is at the top.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:41 am

"The same could be said of this pissant marxist Kenyan in our White house.

Nothing will stay fixed as long as Stalin is at the top."

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:26 pm

Having said that, I feel Ben shits the bed too much anymore in games. Just seems too inconsistent.

An observation. Whenever you see a qb who, when the defense is on the field, stands on the sidelines with his helmet slid high up on top of his head, like some sort of a fucking crown, what you're seeing is a prima donna. That's what Ben has become and his inconsistent play confirms it.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:03 pm

So what are they doing about the secondary this week? I haven't heard anything. Does that mean it will be a sieve as usual? They will probably make Hasselback look like Marino Sunday night.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:47 pm

Only thing I heard was that Boykin would get a shot. We'll see.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:43 am

Tomlin had this to say this morning when questioned about the possible changes in the secondary:

Q. About Ross Cockrell and Antwon Blake, you said they would have a chance to redeem themselves. How might that happen during the course of an in-season week?

A. What I was saying is they’ll have an opportunity to play in this football game to redeem themselves. I wasn’t talking about in a practice setting. What I was saying was that I wasn’t going to make wholesale changes based on what happened in Seattle. Yes, I was going to give additional opportunities to Brandon Boykin, because I think the inconsistencies in play warrant that. But I also am committed to giving those guys – Cockrell and Blake – an opportunity to redeem themselves in the stadium today.

Translation: The entire season of blown coverages and bad tackling wasn't a concern to me. Once it became so obvious that even the mainstream media was calling me out on it, though, it seemed I better at least talk about doing something. Maybe I can disguise doing nothing as doing something really thoughtfully...

Q. If a change is made, is it going to take as much to go back to the way it was as it took to make this change, or is going back a potentially quicker process because it’s a known situation?

A. I guess what we’re looking at this week is not a wholesale change. We’re opening ourselves up to the inclusion of others in terms of playing time. That doesn’t mean the exclusion of the people who have been playing. It’s not a have or have not situation for us. It’s just minimizing some of the snaps those guys have played and allocating them to other deserving men, and then seeing the result of that. Do the other guys prove they’re capable players? Does the reduction of snaps improve the quality and the detail of the play of the men who had their snaps reduced? There is a period of evaluating the result of the move and taking necessary action after that based on the information you gather. But it’s not black or white, by any stretch.

Translation: Yes, Mike, there is a period of evaluating the talent on your roster. It's called the preseason. Look into it. Maybe if you weren't so concerned with how your players might feel about being demoted you would actually be the coach of this team instead of a really cool teammate who doesn't wear a uniform.

By the way, did you ever notice that Tomlin sure seems to use a lot of big words for a guy who doesn't appear to know what the fuck is going on? Somebody clearly got him a roll of word-of-the-day toilet paper. It's like:

Q: Coach Tomlin, how do you feel about the team's chances this Sunday.

A: I can't decide whether I'm ecstatic or ludicrous.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:45 pm

Isfry I posted earlier in the week on another thread about Mumblin when he was being interviewed about secondary changes and it was the same rhetoric.

LMAO at your last sentence. It reminds me of the 3 Stooges where they meet some women and each one of them has a word to describe how each felt about meeting the ladies and it went like this:
Moe, "Enchanted",
Larry, "Enraptured",
Curly, "EMBALMED"!

BTW, I am sure you have had to modify your prediction for the Steelers now. Please give me an update so I know how it will end! :lol:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:09 am

Thanks for the 3 stooges reference. :lol:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:42 pm

Six, I would love to say 11-5, but I think 10-6 is the likely outcome. I also think it gets us a WC spot where we can absolutely be dangerous, if we play up to our ability on offense and our defense isn't horrendous.

Who knows? Maybe backs against the wall is the only way for a team with a shitty coach to win, you know? There's no looking past the next opponent when every game is an elimination game.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:30 am

Always the optimist fry :subngtowl: Although someone (maybe SoCal) here on another thread reminded me of a certain SB win that was in spite of poor coaching, I still believe that will doom this team at some point. Eventually the antics of AB or AB getting drilled on a punt return will also play a role probably against the poes when they play 12/27 in Baltimore if the poes can ruin what may be a play-off run for the Stillers. Gotta wonder what the hell Tomlin and the Rooneys are oblivious to, that the rest of us are not, while watching AB hitting the glue and then trying out for the olympics. How the hell else do you explain what he does? The secondary still has a lot to prove because one game against the Colts proves nothing to me. Still would like to see less downfield bombs on 3rd and short. Yeah, they look great when they work, but I think the percentages are greater being patient and getting the yards you need not in one gulp. Consistent defense hustle will be necessary EVERY game.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:29 pm

I don't know about getting too conservative on offense. I think you dance with the girl who brung ya. If BR7, Williams, and the wideouts can consistently stretch defenses and put up 30+ points I think it goes a long to way to making the opposing offenses one dimensional, which can only help our D. While I agree that one good secondary performance against the Dolts proves little, four 30+ offensive games in a row speaks volumes. I do think that the next four games will be won on the defensive side of the ball, tho, one way or another. Whether it means getting consistent pressure and some sacks or a few well timed splash play turnovers, the D is gonna have to pitch in, especially against Cincy and Denver, who can put up some points themselves.

Couldn't agree more, btw, on AB's antics. Love the guy but the coach has to step in and put a stop to it before it bites us in the ass. Let Matt Spaeth do the TD dances for AB if you have to do them...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:48 am

I think this game against the Bungles will be very different for a couple of reasons...
If I remember correctly, Tuitt did not play that game and the D-line struggled to get pressure.
Also, Ben played one of his worst games of the season and was missing targets all over the field. If he plays just average we should win.
Finally, it can't be overstated what demoralizing impact it had on the team to see Bell go down in that game, not to mention the team had prepared for Bell to carry most of the load then had to change the game plan somewhat when DW replaced him.
I expect them to win and will enjoy the ride.

:subngtowl:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:39 am

I agree on all points, SoCal, including the victory. And you're right, Tuitt didn't play and BR7 played like shit. This Sunday I expect a whole different ballgame.

Return to Stillers Talk