Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Clowns Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Clowns Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:38 am

Stillers-Clowns Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers-Clowns Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:42 am

Nice write-up bro. I really appreciate the monday morning write-up - keep it up. It was nice to enjoy this game on TV at home. I hope they never get a team in LA!

:subngtowl:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:34 pm

Good wrap, Mill. Frustrating, as I pointed out elsewhere, to watch the "bend but don't break" defense, but Butler at least does more to put pressure on than Dick was doing towards the end of his tenure. (see, 3 turnovers, five sacks and a bunch of 3d down blitzes.) I was also surprised by the O-line's inability to take this game over from the jump. Really thought we would run the ball more effectively. However, Cleveland clearly came in with an intention to not let Williams beat them (likely influenced by the fact that they thought Jones was gonna be the QB.) That probably resulted in all the deep balls (no safety help because of 8 men in the box to stop the run) and the damn near 300 yards BR7 threw for in the 1H.

As much as I love AB, that flip into the end zone shit HAS TO STOP, even if you stick the landing. That's all we need, Brown tweaking an ankle playing gymnastics. Sure wish we had a coach who had any idea what discipline means. I read somewhere before this game where somebody (Labriola?) was asking Tomlin about disciplining players for excessive celebrations (Mike Mitchell comes to mind...) and Tomlin had his pat, bullshit, scripted answer about how he doesn't implement any punishment or whatnot on game day because he understands how emotional and revved up the guys get. (Wow, Mike, you're just such a players' coach. You're so accessible and such a man's man of a people's coach.) He then went on to make some wise crack about how he sees a few players get a pass, simply because they're liked, for the same thing others get reamed for.

Let me explain something to you, Mr. Tomlin. The discipline we are talking about doesn't come from the fucking stands. YOU ARE THE COACH. Whoever is getting a pass or giving a pass in the media or the stands is FUCKING IRRELEVANT. Get control of YOUR TEAM. Discipline comes from one place. YOU. What a jackass. We win despite him.
Last edited by isfry on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:58 pm

-Re: Brown's front flip at the TD; If Tomlin is saying now he doesn't have a problem with that, he is a hypocrite; Remember 2 years ago against The Jets when Emil Sanders did the exact same thing and Tomlin came out after the game banning flips like that for the simple fact players could get hurt doing it?? NOW he's O.K. with it. Like Mark Madden said recent re: Tomlin and the other discipline issue of players not playing to the whistle and celebrating their tackle when footballs are sitting on the ground; I.E.-He would much more rather be friends with his players than be their coach. This will go on until he retires, leaves for another job, or gets fired. Remember, he didn't have the balls to get rid of Aryans or LeBeau himself, so The Rooney's had to do it for him. This should surprise nobody who has remotely paid attention to this team since 2007.

-You know, it was said when he was acquired that Brandon Boykin could return kicks. Here's an idea; Instead of wasting a roster spot for a return guy who clearly cannot play the position anymore, how about we give it to a player we gave up a fucking draft pick for who is not playing anyways?!? Just a thought.

-Funny; For all the screaming and yelling from some fans living in the past and stooge Pittsburgh sports media, that finally kicking LeBeau to the curb has really hurt this defense, huh? I mean old Dickie is sure doing well in Tenn. What a mistake that was!!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:47 pm

At least we can all agree that this defense is better than we thought it was going to be. Tuitt and Heyward MUST remain healthy if this team has any hopes of being an above average defense.

Have a great day to all of you folks living in Normalville! :sufootballhelmet:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:17 am

Hmm... I hate to start pouring the Kool-Aid again, but after the real Bungles stood up and showed themselves tonight, I began to wonder whether the North is as out of reach as it might have seemed a couple weeks ago.

Consider this:

The Bungholes are 8-1 with remaining tough games against the Cards, Rams, Broncos and Steelers. 11-5?
The Steelers are 6-4 with remaining tough games against the Squawks, Broncos, Colts and Bungles? 11-5?

The Colts probably aren't even a game anymore, after Luck went down. The first tiebreaker, if we tied the Bungles for the division lead, is division record, I think, so we just have to win out and the North is ours. 12-4. Simple.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:29 am

All good points and agree with most. Gotta' like ya' isfry with the 12-4 approach after the Bungals did what comes naturally. That being said you know the Stillers will lay an egg or two with teams they are supposed to beat. Already have seen that this year and even though they put up good numbers against the brownies I am still not convinced. What the hell happened to the ground game against cleveland (60 yds.) and how many times did the browns shoot themselves in the foot with penalties? How many yards did they have in penalty yards - over 125 or something? Is Johnny Manboy that good that he torched the secondary for 330 yards? Williams has definitely proven to be a valuable pickup - as opposed to JJ. Certainly agree with 76 about Boykin. And yes, stop all the preening and circus acts after TD's or a good stop. They look like amateurs and will end up on IR with that crap. Tomlin needs to step up there, however, doesn't that type of character come from the individual? I will use Heath Miller as a fine example of talent and humility. I suppose I should look on the bright side considering the games without #7 and the loss of Bell. Still hopeful like isfry! :subngtowl:

Practice Squad

Postby FuckTomBrady » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am

Great read. A few notes from the game- After Ben is installed and we are 3rd and 2, the formation called has Ben in the shotgun with an empty backfield. I understand they didn't plan on playing him, however he was dressed and promptly put it. The lack of awareness to protect the most valuable player with play calling is overlooked and part of the reason why I always question Momlin's lack of coaching. Can someone please tell me that they didn't have a discussion regarding Ben and the possibility of him having to play and what their best options would be to protect him and keep him upright? Nevermind the fact he heaved a 45 yard throw that fell incomplete.

The measuring stick I use weekly is how this team would stack up against the filthy scum bag rat mfer's in NE in the playoffs. Period, the end. With the flashes of brilliance at times on the offense and once in a while defense leads me to believe they could compete. However the inconsistency we watch weekly
brings me back to reality when we hear the coach's comment regarding AB's Flip and landing to "Judge it"........just pathetic. AB is one of the most valuable players on this team. As ugly as it would be to imagine, think of Big Ben on a scramble and running into the end zone and trying a Mary Lou Retten and see how that would go over, (No pun intended) lol

Belifuck and company continue to put a polished and consistent team on the field week after week. Until the black and gold can compare with consistency in all facets, we will be forced to count on lady luck...BB

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:42 am

Saw this in the PPG. When asked about what coach said after the flip, AB had this to say:

“[Tomlin] said it was better to stick the landing than land on my back,” Brown said. “Ben said don’t do it anymore.”

Nice to see that at least somebody has the fucking foresight to realize what an unreasonable risk is. The fact that it comes from the guy who wrecked his motorcycle without a helmet on in the offseason a few years ago only makes it more clear how oblivious Tomlin is.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:12 pm

I guess I'm not the only one enjoying a sugary-sweet, ruby-red beverage. This was posted on NFL.com today:

"Could AFC North and AFC West still be in play?
It's hard to imagine the Broncos or Bengals blowing a three-game lead in their respective divisions. But it's not the craziest scenario to imagine. Denver's entire season is a mystery at this point with Osweiler taking over at quarterback. Could Kansas City or Oakland get on a run to make things interesting?

The Bengals are even more likely to be caught in a surprising division race. Pittsburgh is a frisky second place team. If the Bengals lose in Arizona this week, the Steelers could be only two losses back with another Bengals-Steelers game still on the schedule."

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:16 pm

Thanks be for this site and the freedom to say what you actually think.
Ben pitched a pretty good game. Maybe like a baseball stat we could rate Ben and how many scores compared to at bats. Haleys O has now shown that if you stuff the box, Ben goes over the top...very successfully. If they cover 2 or 3 (or4) Williams can tear them up running and chip block catch. They will be tested at Sheattle.
AB reminds of Jerry Rice on that flip TD. Not by the EZ move but the short route, perfect throw, and streaking td.
Wilson ahead with Shazaam forte: shadow a running qb. Maybe he can prove his worth, I have SERIOUS DOUBTS. Would love to see a front four of Heyward, Tuitt, Maclendon and a Dupree. Walton, McKullers and Thomas on the rotation. Dupree could stand or 3pt stance. Would like to see him and VW in the Harrison/Smith blindside duo.
Looks like Steelers dared let Boyziel beat them with his arm while stuffing run, probably a good strategy against Marshawn Lunch and Wilson, who also has a height problem. D did not contain Brownie qb which kept the game from being dominated on both sides of the ball.
Of course, again with Steelers slowly picking up a real good steam, Tomlin will allow a flop, and throw us all back into football depression.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:54 am

isfry wrote:The Bengals are even more likely to be caught in a surprising division race. Pittsburgh is a frisky second place team. If the Bengals lose in Arizona this week, the Steelers could be only two losses back with another Bengals-Steelers game still on the schedule."

And so it is. The Bungholes drop to 1 and 15 in prime time games under Marvin Lewis. That's not a typo. ONE and FIFTEEN. Their tenuous lead in the North is down to two games with six left, including one head to head with Pittsburgh. The door is ajar.

Throw in Joe Flaccid rupturing his labia and you have a dandy Sunday off.

Happy Thanksgiving fellas. Keep your families safe.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:27 am

"Happy Thanksgiving fellas. Keep your families safe."

Return to Stillers Talk