Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Defensive Re-Alignment?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Hall of Famer

Defensive Re-Alignment?

Postby isfry » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:32 pm

When I heard last week that Tuitt was not going to go I asked on another thread what the alignment would be. The setup I hoped for was moving McClendon to end and bringing in Mount McCullers at NT, rather than keeping McClendon at NT and bringing Thomas in to replace Tuitt. Anyone think there is a chance they rethink that strategy this week? We got gashed in the run game for really the first time all year last week and had very little pressure on the QB.

Practice Squad

Re: Defensive Re-Alignment?

Postby clyde » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:21 pm

I don't think the steelers need to re-align the defense as much as they need to get some better players to to be on their defense. This jones is slow and soft, shakier is always hurt, Harrison was great but is old now and the d backs are either just plain bad or not allowed to be good because of the soft scheme. I remember when they got Kevin Greene back 93. If we ever decide to go free agent how about someone like that instead of the cam Thomas' of the world.

Hall of Famer

Re: Defensive Re-Alignment?

Postby isfry » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:59 pm

While I agree there are more systemic, overarching problems with our defense, I guess my point was just in the narrow, single instance of filling in for Tuitt until he comes back. As bad as our defense has been at times, it has not been as bad as many feared it would be, and Tuitt and Heyward have been bright spots. McClendon has at least been serviceable (feel free to correct me, Mill...) It just seems that replacing McClendon with McCullers is less of a drop in quality than replacing Tuitt with Thomas. The scheme shouldn't be too affected, as McCullers is a natural NT (I think) and McClendon has spent time at DE. Thomas just seems to be such a downgrade on Tuitts's side that I wonder if there's a better band aid until the wound heals...

Return to Stillers Talk