Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Chefs Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Chefs Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:41 am

Stillers-Chefs Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers-Chefs Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:51 am

-The amount of shithole, bottom feeding teams The Steelers have lost to under Tomlin, especially since 2012, continues to grow to the point where even the zombie Pittsburgh Sports Media is acknowledging it. For all the good it does, I mean it's not like he'll actually be held accountable for it or anything. Because Noll and Cowher were here for as long as they were, this empty shell of a H.C. will be here AT LEAST 15 years. Bank on it.

-Also, this serves as a cautionary tale with back-up QBs from this point on; Ben is injury prone, and has been his whole career. This management team needs to go out in the off-season and secure a proven number 2 QB. Cough, Matt Flynn who is STILL OUT THERE, Cough. Not some past his prime lowlife that the head coach has a hard on for because they are from the same hometown, or a reach of a 4th round pick who will never justify the selection. This reminds me of last year when they kicked Blount off the team, yet had no viable back-up for Bell. The rest was history.....

-That said, they did not lose this game because of Landry Jones. They lost it because the defense could not hold a trash offense with a limp wristed QB in check. Tired of seeing fucking Tight Ends roaming free and clear in the secondary like a deer in an open field. Should be real interesting when a legit good offense with a Pro Bowl caliber TE come to Heinz this week. Think Butler will finally learn how to defend against it after a TE basically destroyed his defense for 2 games now?!?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:08 pm

Your words were exactly what I had hoped, stout KC D, perhaps the Butler D could carry the day. However when you see Harrison, Heyward and McKullers in coverage, then it is clear that D(head) LeBeau disease still lingers. What else lingers is these 'fast' LBs geared for 3-4. Where was the superman fast Shazier when Kelce was catching all those long 3rd down passes right down the middle?
Agree also Dline missed Tuitt.
Realize (dirty)Laundry only has 6qtrs under his belt, but not knowing where Hali is means Jones probably backup material only. Haley having neither TE or RB in sight to help the rookie staff sargeant on obvious passing situations cost the Steelers the game.
Even when we know it is coming, Ts teams losing to terrible teams is enraging. His and the Butlers D are only a tin curtain at the halfway point. Things aren't ideal with Steelers own version of Brian Bosworth, Shazaam Shazier (what would you expect from someone who has sold their own NFL futures contract?), Jones is also a bust, and I'm sorry Sean Spence but you aren't exactly an intimidator yourself.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:04 pm

I agree with everything, except I probably place more blame on Haley than Butler. Yes, our D gave up 23 to a hapless almost winless group of fuckups without their two biggest skill players even suiting up, but we did so after our QB turned the ball over three times. If memory serves, the Steelers had turned the ball over three times all season thus far. You can't have three giveaways on the road and expect to win. The first pick by jones was exactly the play he got away with last week to Bryant that the media was fawning over. All it took was dropping the MLB back six more inches and that stellar play turns into a pick. While the bobble by AB that turned into pick number two wasn't all Jones' fault, you have to know where your passing lanes are so that balls don't get tipped at the line. Why? Because they result in INT's.

I was also infuriated by some of the play calls on both sides of the ball, the deep wheel route to the FB, the OBVIOUS Williams plunge on the second 4th down (the same exact play they called on the first one.) How about a play action pass to Miller on that one? But no, Haley continues to insist on doing something over and over and over. You know, you don't have to wait until it doesn't work to do something else. It's called variety in play calling. It keeps the opposing d coordinator guessing. MCCULLERS IN PASS DEFENSE??? Oh, that's so crafty, they'll never expect that. For a reason. It's stupid.

I think Haley has no idea how to actually craft a game plan. With Bell, Bryant, and Brown and Miller, there is no reason why he couldn't have designed a strategy to NOT LET JONES LOSE THE GAME. As I said elsewhere, and Mill and others pointed out here, you could set your watch by a Tomlin team shitting the bed in a trap game. The only up side has been their (occasional) ability to surprise against quality opposition. I hate to say it, but next week just became a MUST WIN. 4-4 and trailing the Bungles by 3 and 0-2 in the division at the halfway point? DONE.

Practice Squad

Postby FuckTomBrady » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:51 pm

All of the remarks above and in Mills Grades are spot on and accurate. The failure of coaching across the board on this team is evident in every phase. From the defenses inability to cover the largest downfield threat in every game, commonly know as the "WIDE FUCKING OPEN TE" to the constant juggling of LB's who are in non-stop rotation regardless of how shitty they are playing. On a rare opening 2nd half 3rd down, Smith missed his TE due to pressure and the fact someone HIT the TE at the line of scrimmage and disrupted the timing. For the love of pee-wee fucking football, that is taught is the beginning phases of learning how to play defense, which also included tackling, which this defense sucks at.

No need to go into the wretched play calling of Haley (Personal Favorite yesterday was leaving a gassed-Bell in the game after his rumbling and tumbling long run in the second half only to keep him on the field and hand it off to him for a 1 yard gain,) then inserting Williams. He is a fucking joke. No Heath, No Bell in short yardage passing. Yesterday's Rumor down here in FL. is Miami wants to talk to Haley, Good, They can have him.

Momlin's lack of accountability with his own coaching staff as well as players not getting on the field are completely mind boggling. There is no doubt our chances winning next week against Cincy improve with Ben coming back, however what type of shape will BB be in?? I could see a win next week and another loss against Oakland to follow. To be expected because his shitty 8 year record proves it. Having this fucker at the helm is like having your mother in law moving in to your home for health reasons and you have to change her diaper and colostomy bag daily. You ask yourself " When will it ever end???"
Most of you know the answer to that one.....

Grizzled Veteran

Postby stillgrill » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:20 pm

Once again, Tomlin drops a gm that could mean the difference between the playoffs & an early vacation. So far they have shat the bed twice in losses to the Ratbirds & the feeble Chiefs. I don't understand how the D never accounts for the TE - Christ, Kelce should be double-teamed on 3rd down, the other WR's on KC were so bad. You know Ben will not be sharp for a few wks + Cincy has an extra wk to prepare. The team will be staring at 9-7 and outside playoff picture because of these eggs vs Balt & KC.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:50 pm

Not that it makes this loss any better, but the finger of blame should mostly go to the sorry assed defense for all the reasons dissected here.

Case in point; If you would've told me that Bell would've had 17 carries for 121 yards and A.B. would have 6 receptions for 124 yards, I just assumed the Steelers won by at least 10, not lost by it.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:32 pm

Steelers76 wrote: If you would've told me that Bell would've had 17 carries for 121 yards and A.B. would have 6 receptions for 124 yards, I just assumed the Steelers won by at least 10, not lost by it.

If they hadn't continued to employ their season-long strategy of "none-on-one" coverage of tight ends, you'd probably have been right, too.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:40 pm

isfry wrote:
Steelers76 wrote: If you would've told me that Bell would've had 17 carries for 121 yards and A.B. would have 6 receptions for 124 yards, I just assumed the Steelers won by at least 10, not lost by it.

If they hadn't continued to employ their season-long strategy of "none-on-one" coverage of tight ends, you'd probably have been right, too.

Don't discount the old "duck your head and stick out your arms" school of tackling as well.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:38 pm

Steelers76 wrote:
isfry wrote:

Don't discount the old "duck your head and stick out your arms" school of tackling as well.

:lol:

Return to Stillers Talk