Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Clock/time Management: Is it just me?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Clock/time Management: Is it just me?

Postby bigjoespompano » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:46 pm

I'm no coach, just a life long Steeler fan. I understand only the rudimentary basics of the "X's & 0's" But i do understand that the game is played within a time allotment. Unlike PNC Park, you can't play till one in the morning. You've got to win and do it BEFORE the clock ticks to zero. That said, we are down by ten points with about two and a half minutes to go. We get the ball. The clock is running down. As I see it, you've GOT to get down the field, get the TD (and seven points) then get the ball back to the other guys and make them go four & out as quickly as possible. The clock continues to run down. Your ball and now you trail by three. With what ever time is left you must either get BACK into the EZ or kick a FG and tie it for OT. Makes sense. I always assumed that's how the game was to be run in this situation. Am I missing something?? The clock is running and these guys are CASUALLY getting back to the LOS. They huddle. Clock is still running. Okay. Wouldn't it be better to THROW it to the sideline receivers and have them step out to STOP THE $%%# clock??? What was this %$##@T^ run it up the middle shyt???? It's NOT *&^%$ first quarter!! Where was *(*)(% Tomlin??? Standing on the side lines like a statue! No arms waving. No yelling to the players and directing them. Nothing. Just freeking stood there. For Christ sakes, SPIT ON SOMEONE!! SCREAM! DO SOMETHING!!! Nope. Just stood there like an idiot. We fumble and the game is over. No where near the EZ. Am I incorrect that MAYBE they should have tried a no-huddle in this situation? Maybe the players could have RUN back to the LOS?? It's almost like they all just said "Fukk it, let's go home, this one's over."

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Clock/time Management: Is it just me?

Postby Pommah » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:00 pm

bigjoespompano wrote:It's almost like they all just said "Fukk it, let's go home, this one's over."

I think everyone on the team knows that there is not the coaching ability to prepare for and execute a two-score in 2.5 minutes strategy, particularly without BR7.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:19 am

Pommah wrote:
bigjoespompano wrote:It's almost like they all just said "Fukk it, let's go home, this one's over."

I think everyone on the team knows that there is not the coaching ability to prepare for and execute a two-score in 2.5 minutes strategy, particularly without BR7.

That may be true, but I agree that the clock management was HORRENDOUS. Set aside the fact that we burned our first 2nd half timeout on our SECOND OFFENSIVE PLAY OF THE HALF. Set aside that we wasted another one midway through the third. On that last drive Pompano is talking about there was NO URGENCY WHATSOEVER. We let over a minute go off the clock to run the first TWO PLAYS that gained TEN YARDS. I don't care if its Landry jones, Mike Vick, Gradkowski or Tyler Murphy back there, I agree with Joe. The deficit and the clock demand that you take some risks and stretch the field and do it quick. If you fuck up then you might lose. If you do NOTHING YOU'RE GUARANTEED TO.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:22 am

While we're at it, maybe it's just me because I watch Steeler games with a totally different lens than that with which I watch all other football but, is there another team in the league that has been as consistently inconsistent as us for the last decade or so? Just when you think they're lit up they crap their pants. Just when you're ready to throw dirt on them they turn out a gem. I don't get it.

Return to Stillers Talk