Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » IS THE GLASS HALF FULL?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Hall of Famer

IS THE GLASS HALF FULL?

Postby isfry » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:23 pm

I have been thinking about some of the preseason predictions, including my own (12-4) and wondering if we are kind of on course despite a rocky start, and trending upward, which is nice. It's kind of hard to see, because the two losses were SO PAINFUL mainly because of the hated nature of the opponents, but consider this:

Bell's return did exactly what we all hoped it would do for the running game.
Bryant's return did more than we could have hoped for in the passing game.
Our O-line, despite Pouncey's early injury, is playing pretty damn well.
We have officially gone 2 and 1/2 and 1 without BR7 and, as long as we don't get caught in the trap this weekend, should go 3 and 1/2 and 1 and should have Ben back for the Cincy game.
Our fledgling defense and its newly anointed coach are performing well beyond what anyone thought they would be doing by this point.
Despite having two kickers go down to injury and one go down in flames, we have a solid PK at this point who has proven thus far to not only NOT be a liability, but an asset.
Michael Vick's days are over, if you believe Deebo and I do, and Jones has proven himself to be capable. Don't get me wrong, I am not fawning over Landry's numbers in his first game. The fact is, with our O-line, our RB corps, and our WR corps all we needed to weather the storm while BR7 was down is someone who could be average and not fuck up and turn the ball over a bunch of times. While he didn't turn the ball over too much, Vick reestablished himself as a below average QB who is no longer even an above average athlete. But we don't need Johnnie U, we just need Trent Dilfer til the gang's all back together again and Jones, thus far, appears to be able to manage his position.

All in all, I am upbeat about the way this team has circled the wagons through some adversity thus far and am optimistic about the prospect of getting a healthy roster back together again for a legit SB run. Having said that, they'll probably shit the bed in KC this weekend and I'll be back to crying in my beer...

Grizzled Veteran

Re: IS THE GLASS HALF FULL?

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:45 pm

"Having said that, they'll probably shit the bed in KC this weekend and I'll be back to crying in my beer..."

If you keep crying at least you will be able to fill that beer and it will no longer be half full!
:cheers:

I agree, the defense is better than all of us expected. I did not see a deep run this year because of it. However, they are doing their best to make me change my stance on that.
:sufootballhelmet:

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby High5 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:52 pm

Nice post isfry , well written. It is nice to see the Steelers hanging in there in getting the job done without BR7. Watching Vick at QB was very frustrating to say the least, he just doesn't have it anymore. I gave him credit for hanging in there at the end of the Charger game, but he pretty much is just horrible.
Munchuck has the offensive line playing pretty solid. And Butler and his boys are holding it down on defense. Get this team back healthy and stay healthy and the sky is the limit ! IIII gootta feeeelin , Pittsburgh is going to the Ssssuperbowl !!

:subngtowl: :subngtowl: :sucope: :suxfingers: :surockin:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:20 am

For those who weren't paying attention...the answer is "NO."

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:29 pm

Referring back to an archaic interview, someone asked Art Rooney Sr. about the seasons outlook. His reply was that the goal was to win a S.B. This team has alot of problems, we don't need anymore problems. The wasted roster picks on underperforming players, poor game planning and personnel schemes, failure of clock management, lack of experience at H.C. are some of our problems just to name a few.

And another thing, I could see a player getting messed up after being on the team for 5 or more years. But the list of 'down' players like Markice Pouncey, Leveon Bell, etc etc getting hurt in their first couple of seasons. REALLY?!? Where are all the durable players that can do their job with any type of consistency and does this reflect upon the lax-a-daisical approach of MANDATORY physical training in the offseason?

I would rather see a team go through a season 9-7 | 10-6 | 11-5 and win a S.B. than do what the Patriots did in their 'undefeated' season against the NY Giants. Having stated this - UNTIL somebody that cares and is RESPONSIBLE within the higher echelons of Stiller Ownership changes something drastically, even if this squad makes it to the big dance I don't have high hopes for success based on the evidence we have all witnessed against really sub par teams.

This last game against Cinci should be all that we need to make this argument.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:28 pm

While I agree with all of your criticisms, crucible, I will say this. Ben is ALWAYS bad on his first day back, and last week was no exception. Bell's injury hurt, but Williams is a solid RB, as evidenced by his career and the first two weeks of the season. The defense is playing way better than anticipated. Playing down to bad teams is a very frustrating thing to watch as a fan, but shouldn't be as much of an issue in the postseason. I expect this team to get there and be dangerous, despite last weeks loss. We'll see...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:03 pm

Perhaps, but how do you overcome coaching shortfalls and being out-coached? When you get to the playoffs it is against the best at that point and talent on the field cannot overcome bad coaching.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:25 pm

You don't have to look far back to see on the field talent overcome bad coaching. SB XLIII was a great example of exactly that.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:16 am

Well, you do have a point there fry!

Return to Stillers Talk