Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Cards Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Cards Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:05 am

Stillers-Cards Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Hall of Famer

Re: Stillers-Cards Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby isfry » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:24 am

Good write-up, Mill. Thanks for the thorough work. I have a couple comments.

I actually think your D- for Vick is too high. Once Landry Jones came in it became evident that ANYBODY would be better at QB than Vick. ANYBODY.
You point out that Bell had no plays in the passing game, which infuriated me, too. I certainly hope that Haley can put some into next week's plan, as it appears Jones is ten times more comfortable and aware in the pocket than Prick. He even made some adjustments at the line. WOW!
I thought Wheaton's block in the back call was a bullshit, ticky tack penalty. I didn't fault him for that. I agree, however, that he was never a #2, whatever Tomlin might think.
I am stoked that Villanueva is gonna get some play time. As soon as BeachBum (ha!) hurt his knee I thought, "Man, Mill is gonna have fun with this."
You point out that Vinnie didn't make the stat sheet, but it was actually he who batted the ball away from the intended receiver that ended up in Timmon's circus INT. He deserves some credit for that.
I'm not so down on Butler's D, either. There appeared to be a bend and don't break approach, which did allow a ton of yards, but the defense caused three turnovers, which is the element that makes that approach sound. Furthermore, I think AZ was putting up like 38 points per game coming in and Palmer had thrown like 13 TD's to only 3 INTs. We can all piss on Arians and Palmer all we want, they were doing just fin the first five weeks of the season. Butler's D deserves some credit fro bringing them down to earth.
Lastly, the 2 point attempt when the Stillers went up by 2. Let me say that again. The Stillers went UP BY TWO. And he goes for 2? What a JACKASS!!!!!!!!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:50 pm

I agree with Isfry; You were too kind on your grade for Michael Prick; ANY QB in The NFL that throws for 6 FUCKING YARDS in an ENTIRE HALF AND CHANGE deserves an F- That would be laughably bad for an awful low level high-school QB, letalone one that plays at the highest plain of football there is.

And that had better been Prick's swan song with this team. I say "better" because Tomlin obviously is in love with this scum, as well as believes it's 2004 all over again. It's scary to think this buffoon of a H.C. would've kept this past his prime shit-stain in if he didn't get hurt. If that would've been the case, the final would've been something like 45-6 AZ. And to think for all of the shitstorm bringing Prick in caused, NONE of it was worth it in the end when this worthless human being can't even play at the level of a 3rd string CFL QB. At least when Cowher had his love affair with Kordell Stewart here in the late 90's early 00's, he wasn't afraid to bench him when he was awful. But because like Clint Hurdle, Tomlin would much rather be liked and popular with his players than actually be, IDK, A FUCKING HEAD COACH, this is what happens. And that 2 point try?!? Don't even get me started. As has been said, he lucked out here plain and simple.

Now to be fair, I gotta give it up to whoever made the decision to sign K Chris Boswell. I was the first one to 2nd guess this signing, and even though it's only 2 games this guy looks like a keeper. Bravo.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:57 pm

Steelers76 wrote:Now to be fair, I gotta give it up to whoever made the decision to sign K Chris Boswell. I was the first one to 2nd guess this signing, and even though it's only 2 games this guy looks like a keeper. Bravo.

:suplusone:

I have an irrelevant, almost rhetorical, question that I posted on the game thread but felt compelled to reprint here, in the hopes that someone explains it to me. Aside from the fact that he wears #92, what exactly made Harrison's block of a would-be-tackler in the end zone after Mitchell's pick a personal foul? The way I see it, it's a live ball that Mitchell could get up and run with. If the AZ WR touches him while he's down he can no longer get up and run. Doesn't Harrison have the right, indeed the obligation once the possession arrow flipped, to block AZ guys away from the ball carrier at that point? When have you ever seen a personal foul called on a block? No hands to the face, no chop, no tripping, just overzealously blocking a guy so he can't "tackle" (in quotes because it shouldn't mater whether that tackle is a tackle or a touch of a down player) the ball carrier?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:35 pm

isfry wrote:
Steelers76 wrote:Now to be fair, I gotta give it up to whoever made the decision to sign K Chris Boswell. I was the first one to 2nd guess this signing, and even though it's only 2 games this guy looks like a keeper. Bravo.

:suplusone:

I have an irrelevant, almost rhetorical, question that I posted on the game thread but felt compelled to reprint here, in the hopes that someone explains it to me. Aside from the fact that he wears #92, what exactly made Harrison's block of a would-be-tackler in the end zone after Mitchell's pick a personal foul? The way I see it, it's a live ball that Mitchell could get up and run with. If the AZ WR touches him while he's down he can no longer get up and run. Doesn't Harrison have the right, indeed the obligation once the possession arrow flipped, to block AZ guys away from the ball carrier at that point? When have you ever seen a personal foul called on a block? No hands to the face, no chop, no tripping, just overzealously blocking a guy so he can't "tackle" (in quotes because it shouldn't mater whether that tackle is a tackle or a touch of a down player) the ball carrier?

I know what your talking about, and yes, it was a bullshit call for all the reasons you mentioned. I read somewhere on Social Media that Harrison said he was going to file a complaint with the NFL re: that flag, but IDK if it's true. Won't do any good anyways, as The League is much more concerned with players honoring their late father who passed away from cancer during CANCER AWARENESS MONTH with fucking eye black then their refs actually making correct calls.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:51 pm

Steelers76 wrote:The League is much more concerned with players honoring their late father who passed away from cancer during CANCER AWARENESS MONTH with fucking eye black then their refs actually making correct calls.

:suplusone: :suplusone: :suplusone:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:54 pm

That was probably the worst Stiller QB play I have ever witnessed in all my years watching. Bubby's worst game was Montana-like compared to that debacle. I was hastily fast forwarding the game until I saw Prick get hurt and I watched at real time from there on. The difference is glaring when Jones came in and actually, you know, was able to actually read a defense, audible at the LOS, and give him team a shitload of confidence.
I saw several times where Bell was open in the flat and Prick didn't get it to him. Send the dog-killer packing and find someone else to be 3rd string.
We all bitched about Jones wasting a roster spot and it managed to pay off, even if it is just one win. It was a big win though.
I was actually hoping to see Jones start the 3rd quarter and was pissed to see Prick under center. Which begs the question... Would Tomlin have pulled Vick had he not got hurt? I think not!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:54 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:That was probably the worst Stiller QB play I have ever witnessed in all my years watching. Bubby's worst game was Montana-like compared to that debacle. I was hastily fast forwarding the game until I saw Prick get hurt and I watched at real time from there on. The difference is glaring when Jones came in and actually, you know, was able to actually read a defense, audible at the LOS, and give him team a shitload of confidence.
I saw several times where Bell was open in the flat and Prick didn't get it to him. Send the dog-killer packing and find someone else to be 3rd string.
We all bitched about Jones wasting a roster spot and it managed to pay off, even if it is just one win. It was a big win though.
I was actually hoping to see Jones start the 3rd quarter and was pissed to see Prick under center. Which begs the question... Would Tomlin have pulled Vick had he not got hurt? I think not!

IDK if you've seen or heard it, but Dumblin admitted in the post-game press conference that if Prick didn't get hurt, he would've stuck with him and thus lost the game.

That's all kind of disturbing right there. I'm so fucking sick and tired of this guy acting like a fan or best friend instead of being these players HEAD COACH. If that little nugget of info isn't proof positive of that, go back and watch what he did when The Steelers won in St. Louis; He made a beeline for Prick and embraced him like a long lost, presumed dead love despite Prick doing next to nothing in that game to help secure the win.

And let's not forget that Tomlin wanted to originally bring this lowlife in when he was fresh out of a nearly 2 year prison stint in 2009, but the Rooney's stepped up and vetoed that, which is what they should've done at the end of August.

This whole thing with Vick has officially done it for me with Tomlin. Not just because of the signing of this P.O.S., but it was the straw that broke the camel's back with his other inane, beyond stupid coaching choices he's made over the years. Of course aside from this website all you'll hear among some brain-dead fans and sheep in the media is the whole "He's won 1 Super Bowl and been to 2 of them."

You know, the same people who make fun of Dallas fans for "living in the past."

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:53 pm

isfry wrote:Good write-up, Mill. Thanks for the thorough work. I have a couple comments.

I actually think your D- for Vick is too high. Once Landry Jones came in it became evident that ANYBODY would be better at QB than Vick. ANYBODY.
You point out that Bell had no plays in the passing game, which infuriated me, too. I certainly hope that Haley can put some into next week's plan, as it appears Jones is ten times more comfortable and aware in the pocket than Prick. He even made some adjustments at the line. WOW!

Steelers76 wrote:I agree with Isfry; You were too kind on your grade for Michael Prick; ANY QB in The NFL that throws for 6 FUCKING YARDS in an ENTIRE HALF AND CHANGE deserves an F- That would be laughably bad for an awful low level high-school QB, letalone one that plays at the highest plain of football there is.

And that had better been Prick's swan song with this team. I say "better" because Tomlin obviously is in love with this scum, as well as believes it's 2004 all over again. It's scary to think this buffoon of a H.C. would've kept this past his prime shit-stain in if he didn't get hurt. If that would've been the case, the final would've been something like 45-6 AZ. And to think for all of the shitstorm bringing Prick in caused, NONE of it was worth it in the end when this worthless human being can't even play at the level of a 3rd string CFL QB. At least when Cowher had his love affair with Kordell Stewart here in the late 90's early 00's, he wasn't afraid to bench him when he was awful. But because like Clint Hurdle, Tomlin would much rather be liked and popular with his players than actually be, IDK, A FUCKING HEAD COACH, this is what happens. And that 2 point try?!? Don't even get me started. As has been said, he lucked out here plain and simple.

SoCal Stiller wrote:That was probably the worst Stiller QB play I have ever witnessed in all my years watching. Bubby's worst game was Montana-like compared to that debacle. I was hastily fast forwarding the game until I saw Prick get hurt and I watched at real time from there on. The difference is glaring when Jones came in and actually, you know, was able to actually read a defense, audible at the LOS, and give him team a shitload of confidence.
I was actually hoping to see Jones start the 3rd quarter and was pissed to see Prick under center. Which begs the question... Would Tomlin have pulled Vick had he not Prick under center. Which begs the question... got hurt - I think not!

Steelers76 wrote:IDK if you've seen or heard it, but Dumblin admitted in the post-game press conference that if Prick didn't get hurt, he would've stuck with him and thus lost the game.

That's all kind of disturbing right there. I'm so fucking sick and tired of this guy acting like a fan or best friend instead of being these players HEAD COACH. If that little nugget of info isn't proof positive of that, go back and watch what he did when The Steelers won in St. Louis; He made a beeline for Prick and embraced him like a long lost, presumed dead love despite Prick doing next to nothing in that game to help secure the win.

And let's not forget that Tomlin wanted to originally bring this lowlife in when he was fresh out of a nearly 2 year prison stint in 2009, but the Rooney's stepped up and vetoed that, which is what they should've done at the end of August.

This whole thing with Vick has officially done it for me with Tomlin. Not just because of the signing of this P.O.S., but it was the straw that broke the camel's back with his other inane, beyond stupid coaching choices he's made over the years. Of course aside from this website all you'll hear among some brain-dead fans and sheep in the media is the whole "He's won 1 Super Bowl and been to 2 of them."

You know, the same people who make fun of Dallas fans for "living in the past."

So... who could we pester at Stillers offices to get this shit done then?
LINK: https://youtu.be/Idx5wsH6Fys

T.T. Could also serve as a replacement for B.R.7 when that day comes...

Practice Squad

Postby FuckTomBrady » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:41 pm

Ok, So our third QB gets inserted and all of the sudden he is the second coming of Kenny Stabler??!! Momlin even flat out said if Vick doesn't get hurt, Landry would still be on the bench. Does this guy not see how bad Vick has been playing and they do not trust him to even throw a god damn bubble screen in fear of an INT?? This is what infuriates me about coach cliché. I can easily name 3-5 more players on the 53 man roster deemed busts and I am sure you can as well. This would be an admittance of failure and puts his job on thin ice. He will not look bad no matter what it takes to keep his job.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:58 pm

Arizona was the better team at the start of the game, the Steelers were the better team at the end. What I mean is, each game this D has gotten better, the O has a sense of all coming together here in a couple of games. Playing a better team and winning makes you a better team. With the idea that you want to play your best game in the last game, this team is doing the right things to go far this year! So expect the Chiefs to beat them.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:55 am

I'm ecstatic Landry Jones came in an played well we won. He rose to the occasion. Great job, kid.

But let us remember, he got a ton of snaps in the pre-season and failed to impress. When Gradkowski went down the team felt compelled to go out and get a tainted man with NFL starting QB experience instead of merely promoting LJ to 2nd string. Let's see how LJ does agains the Chiefs on Sunday before we anoint him another BR7. What I wonder is what we're going to do if LJ gets hurt in the game, does Vick come back in with a bad hammy?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:12 am

"What I wonder is what we're going to do if LJ gets hurt in the game, does Vick come back in with a bad hammy?"

I would honestly rather see Matt fuckin Spaeth play QB before I ever want to see Vick on the field again, healthy or not.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:03 am

Pommah wrote:But let us remember, he got a ton of snaps in the pre-season and failed to impress. When Gradkowski went down the team felt compelled to go out and get a tainted man with NFL starting QB experience instead of merely promoting LJ to 2nd string

Isn't it also possible that this coach and his staff are just that bad at evaluating talent? I'm not saying LL is the second coming of Johnnie U, but I watched all of the preseason games at least once each and don't remember coming away with the idea that he was a completely incapable QB. From practically the very fist snap Vick took it was readily apparent to me that he was a completely incapable QB. Two full games later that had only become more obvious. Now I hear that Tomlin actually said in the post game that he would not have pulled Vick if it weren't for the hamstring injury? That to me is either a complete inability to evaluate talent, or lack thereof, or such astounding bias that one is incapable of reading the writing on the wall.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:44 am

isfry wrote:
Pommah wrote:But let us remember, he got a ton of snaps in the pre-season and failed to impress. When Gradkowski went down the team felt compelled to go out and get a tainted man with NFL starting QB experience instead of merely promoting LJ to 2nd string

Isn't it also possible that this coach and his staff are just that bad at evaluating talent? I'm not saying LL is the second coming of Johnnie U, but I watched all of the preseason games at least once each and don't remember coming away with the idea that he was a completely incapable QB. From practically the very fist snap Vick took it was readily apparent to me that he was a completely incapable QB. Two full games later that had only become more obvious. Now I hear that Tomlin actually said in the post game that he would not have pulled Vick if it weren't for the hamstring injury? That to me is either a complete inability to evaluate talent, or lack thereof, or such astounding bias that one is incapable of reading the writing on the wall.

You see, they have no stat that represents football savvy. There is no road map. Not saying Jones is a R. Wilson, but you gotta stick a player in, once in a while, and see what happens...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:15 pm

isfry wrote:

That would be a resounding "yes" Tomlin looks like an absolute fucking moron for thinking Prick could even play on a bad CFL team, letalone start in the NFL. Add to that both he and Vick are from the same hometown and Dumblin never admits he made the wrong decision on something, and, well, you do the math.

Also Evidence B; Bryant was not activated for the first 6 games of last season because Dumbfuck and his stupid shit coaching staff thought Justin Brown was a better WR than Bryant was. I rest my case.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:28 pm

Snaps with the starting unit is much different than snaps with 2nd stringers and guys that don't make the roster. Also, there are few people who rise to the opportunity given amidst the pressure he was under. The crowd at Heinz was extremely restless from what I saw. He came in and lit a big ass fire under the whole damn stadium, except Heyward who was already on fire the entire game. He's the best defensive captain I can remember in a long time.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:07 pm

Steelers76 wrote:
isfry wrote:

That would be a resounding "yes" Tomlin looks like an absolute fucking moron for thinking Prick could even play on a bad CFL team, letalone start in the NFL. Add to that both he and Vick are from the same hometown and Dumblin never admits he made the wrong decision on something, and, well, you do the math.

Also Evidence B; Bryant was not activated for the first 6 games of last season because Dumbfuck and his stupid shit coaching staff thought Justin Brown was a better WR than Bryant was. I rest my case.

I'll tell you this, if T.T. ends up getting signed by Jenny Jones to back up Tina Romeo in Dallasss, I want someone to clothes line that dirty Crygirls mudder fugger & put him in the hospital.

Return to Stillers Talk