Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Unbelievable...but I guess its how we'd want it

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

Unbelievable...but I guess its how we'd want it

Postby BuZZmaKeR29 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:18 am

Been watching highlights all night on ESPN, NFLN, and listening to ESPN Radio and I can't believe that the Steelers are being completely ignored...their highlights are shown at the end of the broadcasts, hardly commented on and even funnier is that in each discussion of "which team in the AFC is now a contender" the Steelers have not been mentioned...not once in anything I saw or heard. What where the teams? The Jets (congrats, you beat the Dolphins...barely), the Bills, the Titans (good win, but Vince Young? Really?), and not a single mention of the Steelers. Part of me is befuddled regarding this oversight. These are "experts" and are they really saying that the Jets, Bills, or Titans are a bigger SB contender than the Steelers? I mean this was a complete thrashing of a supposedly rising team in every aspect of the game (and I was especially pleasantly - I know it is one game - suprised with the play of the three areas I was concerned about: the Oline, Special Teams, and Pass Rush). I've said before that if these three parts of our game come together and we can stay healthy, we will go real deep in January. Now we passed test 1 with flying colors, and received some surprising help from the the "AFC Powerhouses" faltering. We have the talent, we have the tools on defense, and, well, we have Ben, not to mention we have been there and done that. Boggles the mind that these jagoffs, all that I heard, flat out didn't even mention the Black and Gold.

On the other hand, this is the way I want it. We play our best under the radar, and like shit when over hyped. I have this feeling like the "perfect storm" may be coming together catapulting the Stillers to the SB. I'm keeping it in check, it is only September, but I am seeing more than just flashes of brilliance. I know at what level we are capable of playing at, now it comes down to 1) health, and 2) consistency.

I guess they'll alk about us when we get our shot at ring #6.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Unbelievable...but I guess its how we'd want it

Postby No l Gravity l » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:27 am

Yeah dude I didn't even see any highlights to our game. I did, however, see Brett Favre's play action touchdown pass and the one where he wildly threw the ball into the air about a dozen times. I also saw the injury to Tom Brady just as many times.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby gutofsteel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:39 am

Every year....This whining gets tiring.

And I don't know what you are talking about. They had highlights on The Blitz (not every team gets a segment) and I've seen several analysts today say the Steelers could now be the class of the AFC. Which probably isn't a good thing as right when they started getting some love last year, they went into a funk.

Practice Squad

Postby Nick79 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:53 am

Get a life, the Steelers where not ignored. The truth is, it was among the least compelling games of the week, a decent team (Steelers) totally rolling over a crappy team (Texans), there was nothing for anybody who is not a Steeler fan to be excited about. A dull blowout.

Practice Squad

Postby pooter » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:44 am

ESPN and CNN both have us #2 in their early rankings behind Dallas. We are not being overlooked, for better or for worst.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:35 pm

AFTER ALL DAY WATCHING FOOTBALL AND FOOTBALL RECAPS.....

I saw ZERO steelers highlights.

ALL DAY.

strange.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:07 pm

Those highlights are good advertising for the various teams and tend to boost revenues. Now advertising costs money, lots of it. How much do the respective owners pay to have their teams' highlights shown? How much do the Rooneys pay?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby rick723 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:09 pm

gutofsteel wrote:Every year....This whining gets tiring.

And I don't know what you are talking about. They had highlights on The Blitz (not every team gets a segment) and I've seen several analysts today say the Steelers could now be the class of the AFC. Which probably isn't a good thing as right when they started getting some love last year, they went into a funk.

I agree with the other guys. You see 10 minutes of Marsha Bradey squriming and crying. 10 Minutes of McNab throwing his ass off and then you get
Oh yeah, Steelers won 38-17. No hilights

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:19 pm

Let them disrespect our team. It will ony motivate our guys. :sufootballhelmet:

Besides, the only ranking that means anything is the one at the end of the season.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:25 pm

Why is having the media's 'respect' and 'attention' so important to so many people???

They get PLENTY of respect and attention from the only people with opinions that matter regarding the subject:

THE STEELER NATION

:sucope: :sucope: :sucope: :sucope:

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:33 pm

Why is having the media's 'respect' and 'attention' so important to so many people???

Because people transfer that respect and attention to their own lives so that they can feel better about living a rather pitiful existence.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:37 pm

Wow Nel. Harsh.

Though I think you're 100% right. :cheers:

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:48 pm

WoodsonOfSteel, maybe it is realistic instead of harsh?

Anyway, I'm one of 'em ... I also need that transference of stuff to make me feel better, too!

After all, that's what usually defines a fan, imo.

:D

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:56 pm

In all fairness, I used to complain about the same thing... Lack of respect and attention that is. But in those days, football ruled my life.

The only time I really get carried away with Steelers football is when I'm talking to either a 'rival' or a Cowboys 'fan'. This is usually an in-depth diatribe of the difference between a fan and... them.

But yeah... I guess it WOULD be nice to see all Steelers... All the time. Oh, in a perfect world, right?

:cheers:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:06 am

Here's a lil respect cheese to go with that homer 'whine' :

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-0-318/AFC-North-stock-watch.html

Who's hot?
Parker

1. Willie Parker, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers

Why: Parker saw the end zone three times during his 138-yard rushing performance in a win against the Houston Texans. He averaged 5.5 yards per carry and put to rest any concerns over his leg injury from last December. Parker also surpassed last season's touchdown total (two) in one game. That would qualify as pretty hot.

3. James Harrison, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers

Why: How does Harrison follow-up a breakout year in 2007? He comes out and gets a trio of sacks in a win over Houston on Sunday, which makes him tied for the early league lead. Harrison had 8.5 sacks last year and already is well on his way to eclipsing that total. He will get plenty of opportunities if Pittsburgh's offense continues to jump out to big leads like it did on Sunday.

Return to Stillers Talk