Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » This O line is playing their minds out

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

This O line is playing their minds out

Postby DirtDawson » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:01 am

Just gotta say,

It's been a loooong time since we've had an offensive line this consistently good. They're about as good as they've ever been, which is kind of sad considering Pouncey is out, and one can only imagine how much better they would've been.

I think David DeCastro is really coming into his own. He's playing up to his expectations as a rookie. He was pulling on alot of those big runs by Leveon Bell.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-st ... highlights

This highlight shows, just how well the O line was playing.

0:07, watch DeCastro pull and seal the outside. Heath Miller also beating his man badly.

0:15, look how well the defensive tackles are sealed on the inside. There's multiple holes open right at the beginning of the snap. I think most RB's would flourish behind this line. DeCastro again, beating his man solo.

0:35, again, the offensive line reaches the second level quickly. Everyone beating their one on one matchups. DeCastro kinda got beat but still sealed his man away from Leveon Bell

1:02, DeCastro successful at pulling again.

I credit Munchak alot. Bringing him in was a great call.

We've spent years and years worrying about this offensive line. Nowadays I think they've finally found stability in some quality starters. Very happy about it right now.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: This O line is playing their minds out

Postby LenSherwood » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:21 am

Absolutely correct--Munchak is a great line coach. He knows something about playing offensive line. QBs are also not getting bum rushed every time they drop back. Those highlights also show how great Bell is as a runner. Incredible instincts to follow blocks, find seams. The only negative about Bell is that he doesn't have break away speed. There were a couple of times where he might have broken plays for the end zone, but WTF... 15 yards-26 yards isn't bad.

Hall of Famer

Re: This O line is playing their minds out

Postby isfry » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:38 pm

Totally agree, Dirt. I was watching DeCastro all game against the Chargers and saw him not only sealing his blocks but totally getting to the second level on some of Bell's longer runs. The cohesiveness and communication has really been top notch. Couple that with Bell's patience and instincts and it's a pleasure to watch.

Can't wait til our signal caller gets to reap the benefits of that O-Line again. Real soon, I hope. Looks like BR7 practiced today, so that's a good sign. Even if he's not ready for AZ, or even if he's not ready for KC, we simply cannot compete in a shootout with Cincy without him and that's a huge divisional game looming three weeks away.

Imagine how bad Vick would have looked last week behind the 2012 O-Line? Would have been a massacre.

Return to Stillers Talk