Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Steelers Cut K Josh Scobee; Sign K Chris Boswell

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Steelers Cut K Josh Scobee; Sign K Chris Boswell

Postby Steelers76 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:26 pm

The Steelers have cut Kicker Josh Scobee,(as expected), and signed K Chris Boswell. Boswell was undrafted out of Rice in 2014. He has been cut the previous 2 seasons by Houston and The NY Giants, and never kicked in an NFL game.

Not a fan of this move at all. There were at least 3 better kickers out there with FG % makes in the mid to high 80's; Kai Forbath,(who they apparently worked out), Shayne Graham, and Conner Barth. If this happened even 5 years ago I would say "Well, I trust their instincts here", but over the past few years that is no longer the case. They better hope this works out is all I'm saying.

Hall of Famer

Re: Steelers Cut K Josh Scobee; Sign K Chris Boswell

Postby isfry » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:05 pm

In a statement to the press, Coach Mike Tomlin stated about Boswell, "Well, he clearly wasn't the highest quality kicker out there, but his uncle and I went to high school together and I kinda felt like I owed him one. We'll see."

Practice Squad

Postby Denn » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:27 pm

The should of gave Skippy a shot

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:30 pm

isfry wrote:In a statement to the press, Coach Mike Tomlin stated about Boswell, "Well, he clearly wasn't the highest quality kicker out there, but his uncle and I went to high school together and I kinda felt like I owed him one. We'll see."

Are you serious? When are these fucking owners gonna wake up & kick this joke of a coach to the curb already? Can you ever imagine Noll doing this? No, you can't because he only got people in here that could do their fucking job. It is getting harder to pull for these guys.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:39 am

Crucible-steel-kid wrote:Are you serious?

Nope. Totally made it up. But it's scary to think how easy it would be to believe at this point...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:49 pm

Admittedly for a second I also thought the statement was believable given the circumstances.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:31 pm

It seems that Scobee was injured during the game.
Well , it seems that the new extra point together with the check of the PSI is actually having a terrible effect on kickers. This is the first year with new rules. So expect 5th and 6th rounders spent on kickers next year. Even a 4th if somebody is very very good. We will have a lot of kickers change from now on. Kickers cannot miss. If they miss two they are likely gone. Their value has risen now. Also, we have to consider this, free agent kickers will try to go to better places * indoor. It is just normal. Why somebody would go to Pittsburgh when you have a higher chance of missing/be thrown out the door...
Strange that nobody in the NFL thought about it and anticipated only the New England Patriots have used their franchise tag on a kicker... And people were calling them crazy...

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby bubbybrister » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:55 pm

Tomlin is using Scobee as a convenient scapegoat for his own fuckups. The guy refuses to accept any blame for the team's shortcomings. His post game pressers following a loss is always about "we"... we failed to execute, we need to improve, etc. Never does he say I need to get better.

The buck stops far short of Tomlin's desk in Pittsburgh, this week it stopped with the shitty kicker.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:01 am

bubbybrister wrote:Tomlin is using Scobee as a convenient scapegoat for his own fuckups. The guy refuses to accept any blame for the team's shortcomings.

Where Momlin f'd up was bringing the dog fighter in here. When you see that 4th down pass in O.T. that AB missed, you'll understand why I would like to see Tebow here instead-I mean c'Mon already.

Return to Stillers Talk