Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Rams Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Rams Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:32 am

Stillers-Rams Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Stillers-Rams Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby fred » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:29 am

Perhaps it is good that the O line faced a test like this. Rams D line looks like it was made of Steel Curtain dimensions. Paid a large price, can't even imagine laundry jones facing that. The game is won or lost on the LoS, and this one was reminiscent of Giants handing the Patriots their first loss of the season a few years back. Mitchell(coach) is the next one who needs to go. Can we ask Mean Joe to take over?
Last year when Bell went down, team spirit followed. Maybe T can do his job and get his team mentally ready. The Cravens will be smelling blood when they get to Heinz.
Despite the loss of Ben for a few weeks, the game is still won or lost on the LoS. Munch capable, Mitchell has too much 2gap in his veins, but, we can hope the Butler has his guys motivated. I think he will.....

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:35 pm

-I'm surprised you didn't bring up Dumblin's newfound obsession with going for 2 early in games. It's going to cost them down the line, and nearly did in this one.

-If they win 2 games with Prick for however long Ben's out, I will consider it a minor miracle. If I'm the other team's defense, I stack the line with Bell back and dare him to throw. Don't think they won't.

-Oh, and did anyone find it funny that they kept RB Jordan Todman, but got rid of WR Tyler Murphy from the active roster when Bell was activated? I mean Williams will barely be used now that Bell's back, yet they have Todman and Archer to boot as well? Why?? With those 2, Spaeth, and Landry Jones, this team pisses away more precious 53 man roster spots than any team in the NFL.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:56 pm

While I actually liked going for two on the first score against SF, given we had just had our asses handed to us by the Cheats and had yet to flex our offensive muscles, going for two yesterday at that point in the game, ready to go up by a TD and a FG instead of three FG's, was stupid.

I agree that BR7 was guilty of his once-a-game brain fart on the asinine deep ball to nobody, but I didn't think he held the ball too long on the sack. The pocket began to collapse and he stepped into the open space. This was a freak accident and I don't necessarily blame anyone, especially not Ben. While I agree (as another poster pointed out on another thread) that if that happened to Texting Tom Lady world war three likely breaks out and the Massholes would still be flipping cop cars over in Beantown, I didn't think it was a dirty or illegal hit. Just one of those things that happens.

Our fledging D is gonna have to grow up fast, that's for sure. I expect BR7 to be out until we visit Seattle after the bye. That means we are gonna have to rely on keeping scores low and running the ball effectively. I, too, like Munch's ability to do that. I am not, however, as convinced as 76 that Vick cant keep 'em honest with some deep balls, especially once Bryant gets back week after next. All that matters right now is making the ratbirds 0-4. Period.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:40 am

I agree with your comments isfry, except I am not sure Vick is going to be much help. We will have to rely on the running game and just maybe we will see a bit more of Williams who should be well rested after his disappearing act in the Rams game. Not his fault for sure. And yes I was psyched for an 0-3 poebirds team going into Heinz for what should have been a beat down and 0-4 season over. Up in the air now. Hopefully Shazier can get back.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:53 pm

As inept as Vick looked in the quarter or so he filled in last Sunday, I thought he looked relatively competent in his limited time the preseason. I think after even a short week of practice with the first string and getting some fresh reps Vick will be able to hold his own. Expect Haley to test the Rats' secondary early with some play action deep balls. Who knows? We may just get lucky and catch them napping. Getting out to an early lead would go along way to taking some pressure off the O and the D.

The bigger tests are going to be running the ball effectively if we can't pass, and trying to get some pressure on Hail-Mary-Full-of-Flacco so he can't just throw jump balls fifty yards down the field. Nothing good happens when he gets the time to do that. Even with Bolden gone, somebody might make a catch or, more likely, the refs will throw a flag for PI and the Rats will move the ball. We certainly don't want to get into a shootout with BR7 on the sidelines. And yes, Shazier would be a big boost for the d in this one.

There are rarely "must-win" games in week 4, but if ever there was one this is it for them. Going 0-4 and 0-2 in the division could be the death knell. Given the Steelers' situation for the next 4-6 weeks, it would sure be nice to put a nail in their coffin now and get a division win under our belt.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:32 pm

Hopefully Vick can at least not "lose" the game and perhaps surprise. Guess it boils down to Haley game plan to use Vick's strengths?? Agree testing the poes suspect secondary successfully early will go a long way and obviously only help the run game. The way I saw their game against the bungles Steve Smith is primary and potent weapon, but I think Flacco is struggling without the usual cast helping him and hate that deep lob for PI. Not advocating injury, but wouldn't mind some hard hitting with Steve Smith. He is such a talker.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Still Peon » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:01 am

StillMill wrote:I was enraged by the complete lack of time management late in the 1H. StL kicked off at 2:05 2Q. The KO team should have been under strict orders to DOWN the ball in the EZ, thereby allowing Ben to start the drive at 2:05. What does Dumblin do? NOTHING. Jordan Todman, who runs a 4.9 forty, fields the ball 4 yards into the EZ and decides to run it out. He gets tackled at the 17 -- a dogshit return, in and of itself -- but worse, the clock runs down to 2:00 and the 2MW takes place. Instead of Ben having a free shot in the middle of the field at 2:05, the offense has to start the drive at 2:00. This is elementary and I cannot fathom how stupid a coaching staff must be to not understand this.

You forgot to ask how many points we get for those 2 unused TOs :)

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:16 am

While watching the bungles do what they do best against the poes last sunday I witnessed Marvin Lewis do the same thing before the half. The commentators were talking about it repeatedly and I was enraged considering they had the poes on the ropes at that point and almost ended up losing the game. Completely baffles me that these experienced coaches have no clue about clock management. Say what you want about belicheat, but doubtful you would see this stupidity from the patriots. Also, reading a piece already talking about the SB 50 dream matchup between the 12's - Brady and Rodgers and how they are playing flawless quarterback right now. Damn shame Big Ben had to go down as I would think he would be posting some career stats this year. Hopefully he can get back and they will still be in a position to make the playoffs and win the damn thing this year.

Return to Stillers Talk