Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Niners Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Niners Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:37 am

Stillers-Niners Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Stillers-Niners Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby fred » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:25 am

Shazier looked good, could be his Bosworth tackling style is protection from an untold previous injury. D made definite strides led by him!
Mann must have slipped some kind of secret glue on DHB's hands the night before the game.
Munchak's line gave Ben surprising time to allow all those long balls to develop. You are right when you temper that with NFL's schedule. Good insight and a very good read.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Still Peon » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:48 am

Come on Mill! I know our secondary isn't the greatest, but that's no reason to glaze right over them. Will Allen was the only guy you gave a letter grade to, and you completely disregarded Willie Gay, who had 3 solos. And dude, you gotta give credit where it's due, and Antwon Blake recorded a ton of solo tackles. The NFL stats show Blake had 10 solos, while CBS had him at 11 solos, which is just as many as Shaz had, and you gave him an A++. Blake has been a play maker and deserves more than a "Meh" for 11 solos, even though that stat kinda means the guy he covered caught the ball a few times. I'd say a B would be fair for yesterday's effort, and I still think this guy has tons of potential and versatility.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pump-N-Iron » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:47 pm

The bottom line is we won a game that we should have won. We didn't play down to the level of competition. We didn't play fiddle-faddle on offense. We attacked and beat down a lesser team.

Like Mill, I will reserve my enthusiasm for now. See me in a few weeks when the Hated PoeBirds come to town.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby High5 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:51 pm

SssshhhhaaaaZAM ... Shazier was all over the place , hope he's not on drugs is all I gotta say .... lol
Great performance on both sides of the ball. Good to see the defense come alive. They will only get better, thats scarey. Ben and the Steeler offense finally has a serious deep threat. Plug back in L Bell , Bong boy Martavias that offense will roll . I have confidence and high expectations on the defense getting good, real good , soon ! We need a kicker , send scooby doo to the curb. :surockin: :surockin: :cheers:

Practice Squad

Postby Irishsteel » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:38 pm

I agree w Peon...with the lack of tackling we've become accustomed to, any Steelers DB who puts up 11 solos deserves team mvp consideration.

One thing we should all remember with any Steelers team, they're consistent in their inconsistency. I was thrilled with their play Sunday but until they put together several consecutive games of solid hitting, QB pressure, and an offense scoring TD's instead of settling for fg attempts, I can't be confident in them.

Based on what I saw wk 1 against the Seahawks, the Rams D line is a huge challenge. Should give us a good measuring stick for how solid the o line is without Pouncey. But like San Fran I don't think St Louis has the offensive weapons to take advantage of the Steelers defensive shortcomings.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:08 pm

I, too, am somewhat lukewarm so far. I liked a lot of what I saw on both sides of the ball and I can even abide the 14 points in garbage time the D gave up in the fourth, considering where the game was at that point. I am dismayed by the ability of a mediocre offense to put together two ten plus minute drives on our d, but I am heartened by the defense's ability to stiffen in the "red area." Scooby Dooby Don't is a worthless piece of shit. We should cut him to make room on the roster for another LB. Let the punter free kick the kickoffs and go for two every time.

Looking forward to getting Bell back, but I also think that Williams earned some touches even after Bell's return. Haley's game plan will need to be designed to allow our O-line to not have to protect Ben for 5-10 seconds per play, especially early. Look for some early dump offs to Bell and some draws to keep the Rams' d honest. I also agree with whoever said Williams was a big downgrade in the HB passing game, as terrific a job as he did in running and blocking. I have already gotten used to seeing Bell catching balls in stride and anticipating his make-the-first-man-miss move. Gonna be nice to see him back in pads.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:16 pm

Stiller fans should be happy to have Scoobs. Everyone knows the dark history of our special teams. The fact that his kick-offs are 10 – 15 yards deeper than any other Steeler’s kicker I can remember makes up for some of the FG misses. Go look up opponents’ avg starting field position on kick-offs the last few years and compare it to what we have seen through 2 games and what we will continue to see the rest of the season. I expect his FG % to go up as he gets a little more comfortable with his new team. Based on what I've read and given the offensive weapons, the Steelers should be going for two more often than not. That's my casual opinion anyway.

Have a great bullshit-free week everyone. We all need less bullshit in our lives.
Hockey starting soon!!

:surockin:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:34 pm

Great points, SoCal. Many a time our opponent started with a 10+ yard gain on the kickoff return because they were catching the KO at the 5 and not forced into a touchback.

We shall have to see how he does in the notorious confines of Heinz field. Suisham couldn't kick it to the end zone on a kickoff, but seemed to have mastered Heinz for FG attempts. I recall going through a whole slew of kickers before Jeff Reed proved he could handle Heinz. Seems to me the downside of a missed FG is huge: minus 3 points and the opponent starts off in better field position on anything longer than 37 yarder.

Practice Squad

Postby FuckTomBrady » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:27 am

The defense looks faster than previous years by a large margin, unfortunately, they don't always know where they are going. Why Silverback is constantly dropping back into coverage is puzzling. I do have to say the pass breakup in the end zone by Boykin was the first I can remember is several seasons. Why this guy cannot break into the lineup is disappointing or another of Momlin's oversights. Pound for pound, Blake played lights.

Maybe St. Louis is a small step above a "trap game" Sunday, but like the majority on here, it will be a wait and see weekend.

BB

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:50 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:Stiller fans should be happy to have Scoobs. Everyone knows the dark history of our special teams. The fact that his kick-offs are 10 – 15 yards deeper than any other Steeler’s kicker I can remember makes up for some of the FG misses. Go look up opponents’ avg starting field position on kick-offs the last few years and compare it to what we have seen through 2 games and what we will continue to see the rest of the season. I expect his FG % to go up as he gets a little more comfortable with his new team. Based on what I've read and given the offensive weapons, the Steelers should be going for two more often than not. That's my casual opinion anyway.

Have a great bullshit-free week everyone. We all need less bullshit in our lives.
Hockey starting soon!!

Hey SoCal you better not be watching the game!! ;)

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:55 pm

Hey SoCal you better not be watching the game! ;)
I will admit that I caught part of the game from the outdoor bar at Crystal Cove beach, but it will not be the focal point of my day. I'm not a complete hater yet, but I will not pay a dime to the NFL to watch any game.

8-)

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:06 pm

Does that include the portion of your property tax that pays for Qualcomm's rent?

:lol:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:08 pm

It occurs to me that, while the Lambs OWN US in St. Louie, this may be the first time we bring a legitimate "speed" team, which may make for an atypical outcome on the turf. Thoughts?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:50 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:Hey SoCal you better not be watching the game! ;)
I will admit that I caught part of the game from the outdoor bar at Crystal Cove beach, but it will not be the focal point of my day. I'm not a complete hater yet, but I will not pay a dime to the NFL to watch any game.

8-)

Damn, outdoor bar at Crystal Cove beach sounds like a great place to watch the game. Beats sitting in my family room here in poeville.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:00 pm

isfry wrote:It occurs to me that, while the Lambs OWN US in St. Louie, this may be the first time we bring a legitimate "speed" team, which may make for an atypical outcome on the turf. Thoughts?

Other than the injury report listing Shazam as not participating in practice anybody know the scoop on his injury? He was a one man wrecking crew and probably most of the speed. Bell is back and should add some zip to an already ferocious offense especially out of the backfield. Liking the Stillers to win. Hoping the Bungles hang a loss on the poes Sunday and they go 0-3 before the poes visit Heinz for the Thursday night beatdown in week 4.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:35 pm

No idea on Shazam. Tomlin was quiet about it when he spoke. I am confused, too, because I thought the NFL used to post the injury report, including game status, by Thursday. Nothing on the league site, either.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:20 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:Stiller fans should be happy to have Scoobs. Everyone knows the dark history of our special teams. The fact that his kick-offs are 10 – 15 yards deeper than any other Steeler’s kicker I can remember makes up for some of the FG misses. Go look up opponents’ avg starting field position on kick-offs the last few years and compare it to what we have seen through 2 games and what we will continue to see the rest of the season. I expect his FG % to go up as he gets a little more comfortable with his new team. Based on what I've read and given the offensive weapons, the Steelers should be going for two more often than not. That's my casual opinion anyway.

Really, SoCal? Really? Wanna reassess?
:?

Return to Stillers Talk