Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » The Difference Between Tomlin and Belichick

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

The Difference Between Tomlin and Belichick

Postby PalmerSucks » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:50 pm

The Difference Between Tomlin and Belichick has been posted by Palmer Sucks at Stillers.com.

Hall of Famer

Re: The Difference Between Tomlin and Belichick

Postby isfry » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:20 pm

Great article, Palmer. I agree with your analysis of Belicheat, both as a talented coach and a guy who is willing to bend or break rules if the thinks he'll get away with it. I also agree that the Steelers were not "dominated" and that the Patsies will not go far this year. If they get out of the East and make the playoffs, the rematch may actually be in Pitt. I look forward to it.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:19 pm

I'm confused, though, Palmer. You write:

"(Though for the life of me I still can’t understand why Roethlisberger didn’t audible to a sweep when they stunted inside; the back would’ve walked into the end zone.)"

The very second they shifted the whole left side of our line jumped sky high and the play was blown dead, no? There was no time to audible to anything.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:04 pm

You flat out nailed it. Pertinent point Shazier shadows Gronk, hopefully we see some progress on the D side against the 49ers.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:04 pm

Another outstanding article Palmer. The great thing about this site is that it isn't a bunch of dumb ass homers with rah rah shit. This article is an intelligent look at a guy and an organization that goes beyond spitting Cheatriots at them. The use of the chess player versus checker players is dead right. Bellichik is a genius at playing the odds, using every advantage possible, having well coached teams that don't beat themselves. If you compare the talent levels of all those Steeler teams that lost to him and Brady over the years... Jesus.

I don't share you enthusiasm for this team to go to the Super Bowl. This checker playing team is going to have to overcome a defense that is grabasstic and we'll see if Butler can run it. Haley and Roethelisburger don't cut your throat like Bellichik and Brady do. They fuck up in the red zone, run stupid plays to end drives, create turnovers and they settle for field goals.. field goals that this bum they got can't convert... You can't settle for field goals unless you have a quality defense which they do not. And they have a killer schedule Palmer... KILLER. This is not the weak ass shit they had last year and couldn't win.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:25 pm

Hey PalmerSucks, did you coin that phrase, "Tomlin plays checkers, Bellichick cheats at chess?" It's classic. I'd like to use it with all my Pats-loving friends. With attribution, of course.

Practice Squad

Postby trombilus » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:39 pm

Palmer,

Great analysis. I do believe we can go to the bowl. Especially after the way we looked against the 9'ers. With Bell and Bryant returning I think the sky could be the limit.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:45 pm

2 games is not enough to book tickets to the Super Bowl. The worst problem is that you will have to see how injuries play out. One thing in their favor though is that the Steelers are now to the younger side. Another thing in their favor is that Munchak is a fucking great line coach. Ben is getting protection that he hasn't seen since his rookie days.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:52 am

I wonder how Belichick would have handled the Ravens game last night differently. Many decisions by Tomlin seemed to be made by the seat of his pants where Belichick time and time again will boil down the odds to make decisions that lead to the best result. Not going for field goals, going for field goals, not going on 4th down, going but getting stuffed. That was a winnable game last night and the Steelers choked but the coaching decisions were all over the place.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:45 am

Totally agree, Len. Two different 3d and 2's in the fourth quarter on the fringe of an inconsistent kicker's range with a chance to salt the game away with a first down? A good coach trusts his O-line, who was performing well, and his RB's who were performing well, to get two yards up the middle with two tries. Especially after the first FG was missed, the fact that two plunges wasn't the result is ridiculous. Ironically, I almost thought they should have kicked the third time instead of going for it on fourth down. The odds are probably in Scobee's favor at that point. At the very least the play call should have been different. The defense played adequately, in my opinion, and the offense was good enough to win, even with a backup QB. Play calling and coaching decisions singlehandedly lost this game down the stretch. A chance to be 3-1 and undefeated in the division AND put a nail in the Rats' coffin? A missed opportunity that will sting for a while.

P.S. it's not just Belicheat. If you handed them a headset midway through the third quarter, half the coaches in the league would have won that game last week.

Return to Stillers Talk