Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Vick Signed to Backup Ben

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Vick Signed to Backup Ben

Postby StillMill » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:43 am

Vick Signed to Backup Ben has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Vick Signed to Backup Ben

Postby napnewman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:52 am

Good pickup. Jones is a joke. Was pissed last year when Blount was cut - seeing Landry step on the field for an injured Ben would be a nightmare.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:43 pm

Jones is and never will be ready to go. Vick has something left. Let s hope that is going to be enough when called upon. Very few NFL teams have two NFL level QBs. And when they do, is never a good sign. It usually means chaos and locker room problems.

I highly doubt that they will use Vick in two point conversion frequently. It wouldn-t sit well with Ben. And it should be highly succesfull. Because it would be with the back up QB. You should need a 70% conversion rate in order to sell it ... Does Vick have this number ... I dont know

Grizzled Veteran

Postby relictele » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:59 am

"It comes down to talent."

Yes, it does.

So why Michael Vick? 35 years old. A castoff from from the Philadelphia Eagles whose coach and offense - ostensibly - are designed to make optimum use of his so-called talent. They let him go.

The NY Jets, laughingstock of the NFL with a laughingstock QB in Geno Smith. Yet the same NY Jets allowed Smith to go 0-7 before risking a Vick start. The NY Jets still him go at season's end.

Vick entered the league same year the 9/11 attacks occurred. He missed two seasons serving at the government's pleasure. He's won exactly one more playoff game than try-hard Tim Tebow yet is still treated like a magical combination of John Elway, Roger Staubach and Randall Cunningham.

From the Steelers' perspective, it was only May that we saw the Steelers and the rest of the NFL teams with all their Big Boards, magnetic name plates, dry erase markers, mobile phones, etc. etc. We are told by ESPN and the NFL Network that the draft is an exhaustive, scientific, meticulous review and evaluation of all available players including quarterbacks.

Was all that information shredded or deleted from computer databases? Tony Romo attended Eastern Illinois. Ben Roethlisberger himself attended Miami University - a proud tradition and the Cradle of Coaches but hardly a national power.

The Steelers, like all NFL teams, have an army of scouts, a network of contacts and dozens of front office people. What happened to their reputedly extensive draft data and/or their ongoing record-keeping regarding free agents?

Forget crime, forget animal abuse, forget Vick was a bad actor even in his Virginia Tech days. He's a 35-year-old trunk slammer who, unlike Batch and Gradkowski, knows nothing about the Steelers offense and will therefore be useless to Ben as a sounding board, cheerleader, etc. - something Ben appears to relish on the sideline.

Talent? The only thing that got Vick an interview and a contract was an undeserved football reputation and his Tidewater-region links to Mike Tomlin.

Vick, like all of us, is seeking a dollar. The question is - why were the Steelers reduced to giving him one?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:21 am

I completely agree with Mill on this one.

1. He's done his time, paid his debt to society. Football is his craft, he should be allowed to practice it.

2. BR7 goes down and out for a couple-three games most seasons. We need a capable backup who can keep the team at a .500 level during that time so we can remain in contention. Remember BR7 playing on a gimpy ankle only to make it worse? Can't do that. We must have an NFL-caliber backup QB if we want to be in playoff contention so Ben can heal during the (high probability) time he will be hurt. I hope the Stillers assessment that Vick is the best available backup is correct.

3. Because of the high probability we will need our #2 QB during the season, we must have a decent enough #3. We've been down to the #3 QB before several times during BR7's tenure. Unfortunately for us Landry Jones is not good enough to move up to #2. The purpose of a young kid in the #3 QB position is, if he does get some playing time, and shows well enough, he can be traded for a decent draft pick in the off season from a team with QB issues; e.g. Matt Cassel was a 7th round pick and the Pats got a 2nd round pick after he showed well. This is what the Stillers were hoping for with Jones, and it was worth a shot, but it looks like it won't pan out. If the Stillers can be faulted for anything, it isn't that Jones didn't work out, it's that they used a 4th round pick on him when he was more like a 7th round caliber player.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:24 pm

I agree it comes down to talent, I'm just not sure Michael Vick has any left. Is he that much better than Rex Grossman, for instance, who was also available? Better enough to take the baggage that comes with Vick? I don't know. Regardless, the best case scenario is that we never see him with a helmet on, anyway, although I am intrigued (as Mill points out) by the potential for read option 2 point conversions.

Either way, I would like to be the first to congratulate the Steelers for having officially become the Raiders...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:04 pm

The warden told the inmates : well boys, I got you some fresh meat, & she's a pro baller too-Michelle Convict.... just take it easy on her thug ass she's worth a lot of $$$$.....

Sad stillers day with all the Vick fans gloming on to the Stillers... :P

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:52 am

They have shit the bed on backup QB's since Batch retired, so here we are. I just hope Ben never leaves the game so I don't have to sit there and look at my golden retriever while this assclown runs around in a stillers uni. I know he paid the price, but it's still a tough pill to swallow.

:turnback:
Last edited by SoCal Stiller on Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:39 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote: I know he paid the price, but it's still a tough pill to swallow.

:turnback:

Amen.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:50 pm

Jones is better than he gets credit for, probably still not saying much though. Murphy could do the 2pt if in a bind. While vehemently disagree with Vick's past, his personal life is none of my business. T seems like he wants to have a slash type qb just like he always has a scatback like Archer. Think Vick could be adequate in a bind....

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:28 am

Another thought I had was this would be only way for Con-vick-t to obtain a S.B. ring if he's on the team long enough. I see another championship in the next 2 seasons.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:54 am

Call it wishful thinking or whatever, why couldn't they have signed this guy? Even though he beat us in the playoffs.

LINK:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13588 ... hia-eagles

The previous link was removed by www.Philadelphiaeagles.com, this is a good link.
Last edited by Crucible-steel-kid on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:24 am

I usually agree with Mill, but not on this.

I don't give a shit that Vick "did his time", or "that it was 7-8 years ago." It doesn't make what he did go away, nor will it ever. As for all of these things he's done working with the humane society since then, I'm sure he would've done that even if he didn't get caught doing what he did?? Yeah, right. He's just a sociopath trying to rehab his image. If a family member of mine did what he did, I would disown them and have nothing to do with them moving forward. So why should Vick be any different?? Because he plays a kids game for millions of dollars a year?!? Fuck him, and fuck that. He gets any meaningful playing time this year, I will turn off the games.

On the football side of things, he has been one of, if not The NFL's most overrated player since being released from prison. He had 1 good season with Philly 5 years ago. Since then, nothing. And it's not like he's been a back-up in all that time. In a game just last year in which he started for The Jets against The Chargers and got crushed, he admitted afterwards that he didn't prepare for the game like he should have. He's so good, why was he not signed by ANYBODY in the off-season, and sitting home during the end of training camp???

Other people don't have a problem with him being on the team, that's their prerogative. I say FUCK HIM. :sufu:

Return to Stillers Talk