Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Post-PackerThoughts

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Hall of Famer

Post-PackerThoughts

Postby isfry » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:31 pm

The O is as advertised. I like what I see from BR7, Bell, the WR's and the playcalling. Williams looked good, too at RB.

The Steelers D looked much better after the first drive, so as long as our opponents put their second string QB's in to start the game we should be fine. :oops:

I thought bud Dupree showed the ability to shed blocks (unlike Fat Lamarr) and showed good presence in the backfield. If Harrison (who looks in postseason form) doesn't get that safety, Dupree likely levels Rodgers a half second later.

Shamarko showed some of the hustle and ball sniffing that I thought made him shine last year in the preseason. I still wonder if having him and Mitchell switch places is an idea they might consider.

While Antwan Blake got a lot of credit (player of the week, etc.) I also saw him slipping and lying on the ground a lot. I would like to see more consistency from him and all the DB's.

No news, as far as I can tell, on Pouncey or Tuitt. Clearly the worst things to come out of this morning's victory. Wait and see.

I would have to see tape, but I wonder how many of the 6 sacks were a result of our DB's coverage doing a better job.

Any thoughts?

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Post-PackerThoughts

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:38 am

I definitely think the D is growing and learning. The injuries suck, but this preseason is especially valuable to this version of the Stillers. The extra preseason HOF game has benefitted them as well. I fully expect the D to continue to get better as young players understand their roles more as the season goes on. Pouncey is good, but overrated IMO and can be replaced. I'm more concerned about Tuitt as he is a more important piece to this puzzle.

:supimpin:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:19 pm

I remember having this discussion about Pouncey in 2010 when he went down in the AFCC. A lot of people on this site, particularly Mill, were saying he's overrated and his loss shouldn't matter if he didn't make it back for the SB. Then, on our first offensive play of the game, Ben's hand got hit as he released because the center (Legursky) let a NT bullrush up the middle and get in Ben's face in like 2 seconds. The result was an INT at midfield and we were off to a roaring start.

Just saying that Pouncey may be quietly the most effective and important part of our O-Line. You may not see his contribution but you know it by his absence. Add to that the fact that everybody (at least in the mainstream media) seems to think he's the leader in the locker room and I worry about the loss. I was excited about fielding the same O-line two years in a row for the first time in the BR7 era. On the bright side, I have confidence in Munchak's ability to scheme and coach our way through this and I hear good things about Wallace.

On another note, all the news I seem to be able to find is about Pouncey. Nothing on Tuitt. Anyone have any idea what's up with him?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:38 pm

How did Wheaton do? Couldn't watch the game.

I believe the Stillers want to demonstrate to AB that he is expendable, to silence the notion that he deserves to have his contract reworked.

This has come up before the front office got it right - let Burress go, kept Ward; let Wallace go, kept AB. Wheaton runs about $800K against the cap with two seasons to go, Bryant about $700K with 3 seasons to go. AB is costing over $8M a season.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:40 pm

Wheaton did OK. Good catch over the middle on a 3d down. Caught a gimme 5 yd TD when Heath picked the DB. Nothing sensational, in my opinion. Certainly nothing to make AB look expendable.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:46 pm

"I remember having this discussion about Pouncey in 2010 when he went down in the AFCC. A lot of people on this site, particularly Mill, were saying he's overrated and his loss shouldn't matter if he didn't make it back for the SB. Then, on our first offensive play of the game, Ben's hand got hit as he released because the center (Legursky) let a NT bullrush up the middle and get in Ben's face in like 2 seconds. The result was an INT at midfield and we were off to a roaring start."

I agree with you with regard to that particular season. However, this team has been dealing with his absence regularly ever since then. My opinion was based on the fact that I didn't see much drop-off when the journeyman Velasco filled in for nearly a whole season. Then, it was Cody Wallace and he filled in even more effectively. Pouncey is not the same player he was in 2010 and our O-line depth and coaching is much improved since then. D-line? Not so much.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:43 pm

Fair enough. I hope you're right.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:36 pm

isfry wrote:Certainly nothing to make AB look expendable.

Ok, lets try a different phrase - show to AB that he is not irreplaceable. A downgrade, sure, but one that saves $8M against the cap. Can't think of any Steeler receiver who has left for the $ actually doing better on the field, with the exception perhaps of Nate Washington, who left as a #3 receiver to become a 1 or 2. The track record of guys who left - Burress, Holmes, Wallace, it just ain't good.

Return to Stillers Talk