Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Steelers Trade For CB Brandon Boykin

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Steelers Trade For CB Brandon Boykin

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:34 pm

The Steelers recently traded for Philadelphia Eagles Cornerback Brandon Boykin. All they had to surrender was a conditional 5th Round Pick in next year's Draft. Boykin, who will be a free-agent after this season, has played for 3 years in Philly since he was drafted out of Georgia U. in 2012. He has played in every game during that span as mostly a slot CB, and recorded a career high 6 INTs with a TD in the 2013 season. It has been a decade since a Steelers Corner has amassed that many interceptions.

I think this was a great deal. Not only did we get a solid player who adds depth at a much needed position,(and will probably start come Sept.), he only cost a 5th Round Draft pick. I would make that deal any-day of the week. Chip Kelly's loss will be our gain.

Thoughts?

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Steelers Trade For CB Brandon Boykin

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:56 pm

Philly let him get away for a reason, what that reason is I guess we'll figure out. Some reasons that come to mind: team chemistry, salary cap room, talent. The Bus was supposedly washed up in S.D. upon his arrival in the Burgh, & see how that turned out. Another example is Duce Staley. Time will tell.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:06 pm

"Philly let him get away for a reason, what that reason is I guess we'll figure out."
Philly wants all their corners to be tall and he did not fit what they're trying to do. Also, he was drafted by Andy Reid and is a free agent after this season. However, this Guy has a sick vertical if you have ever seen him dunk a basketball on youtube. I think a CB's height can be overrated if they are exceptional athletically. Smaller guys tend to be quicker on their feet for route coverage. I just hope we finally have a corner who knows how to actually turn and look for the ball in the air.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:16 am

The Steelers have never been that effective in defensing the best of the NFL's version of the spread offense--New England's. Brady's record, QB rating, touchdowns to INTs is sick in the years he played the Steelers. Did they beat him 2x?? Smaller quicker DBs can stick with the smaller quicker receivers in the 5-10 yards where Brady throws to them better than larger CBs... but the downside is the little guys aren't going to be that sturdy in run support like Ike Taylor is. But since the NFL is a flag football league now, go with the little guys.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:32 am

Good point Len. The quickness of our LB group should help to make up for the smaller DB's somewhat. The success on this defense will primarily hinge on both safeties. I'm actually less concerned with Sharko than I am Mitchell. I hope his lack of performance was indeed due to injury because he was painful to watch.
:subngtowl:

On another note... It's nice to see this board heat up a bit. Pommah? Isfry?
:cheers:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:52 am

Size of the corners only really matters for jump balls against the likes of Megatron in the end zone. Stay with 'em and get a hand or two up, and 5'10" is fine. The bigger issue is going to be if our LBs can generate ANY pressure on QB's. 5'10" or 6'3", you ain't gonna cover NFL WR's for 8 seconds. Period.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:52 am

Welcome back, boys. BR7 looked good in his one series yesterday. Bring on the PATSIES!!!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:49 pm

I would much rather play the Pats with Brady. I don't want to hear the excuses.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:36 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:I would much rather play the Pats with Brady. I don't want to hear the excuses.

Too bad the Cheats will miss the playoffs this year then...

Return to Stillers Talk