Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » WHO WAS BETTER?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers

WHO WAS THE BETTER BACK?

FRANCO
75%
THE BUS
25%
'FAST' WILLIE PARKER
No votes
'BAM' MORRIS
No votes

Total votes : 4
Grizzled Veteran

WHO WAS BETTER?

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:33 pm

Alright, I realize it's comparing apples and oranges, but here goes: playing in the decade they did, who was the better back? Some picks were included for completeness purposes.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: WHO WAS BETTER?

Postby Pommah » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:43 am

I think people forget how good Franco was. Particularly toward the end of his rookie year. Big tall back with speed and moves. good hands for catching passes, decent at hanging back and blocking on pass plays too. He could both bowl over linebackers and outrun DB's, the Bus could only do the former.

I always say though, it's difficult to compare players across eras, because the rules change. One thing to think about for Franco, it was a running era. Most plays were running plays, on most plays they were expecting it to be a handoff to Franco, yet he still got all those yards. When Franco was playing, even top quarterbacks barely completed 50% of passes. The Steelers back then only typically passed if it was 3rd and long. Passing on first down at all was a rarity.

He did have Rocky Bleier blocking for him though. RB's now usually don't have a backfield blocker. Rocky was awesome at blocking the penetrating linebacker. I recall one game against the Raiders, can't remember when, it was just regular season, Ted Hendricks (HoF linebacker) was bragging about how he was going to knock Franco on his ass all game; the network picked it up and touted it. Well, Rocky had Hendricks on his backside all game and Franco had a big day. I miss when football was like that, three yards and a cloud of dust. Now its all passing. It's too contrived. You have some players duking it out in the pits while other players can't be touched. It's football, it should be legal to smack any player at virtually any time, except say roughing the passer or kicker. Not being able to smack a receiver around before the ball is in the air? Pussyball.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby LambertoCincoOcho » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:41 pm

That 80 yard TD in the Super Bowl win over Seattle by fast Willie was sweet. The Bus had little production that year and almost fumbled the game away in Indy. To quote Joe Greene "We never won anything until Franco got here". He had a lot to do with those 4 titles my friends.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:26 pm

Franco! Seems that it is rare for today's backs to possess all the tools like Franco. Either they have breakaway speed or break the linebackers back, rare to see both. And I agree with Pommah regarding the shift to the passing game. Too many crappy PI calls all the time. I too miss the running game style of play. Having said that I see no reason the passing game will have trouble keeping opposing secondaries busy this year since it appears they have the tools to do so. They also have the tools in the backfield as well. As usual the defense is the ? I hope I am not in for a let down, but I am feeling pretty good about the Stillers this year - more confidence in them already then in years past. Anybody else feelin it?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:18 pm

I would be feeling it more if our secondary didn't scare the hell out of me, particularly at safety with Mitchell. I sure as hell hope his performance (or lack of) was due to injury last season because he flat out sucked!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:59 am

SoCal - does the addition of Boykin make you feel a bit more confident? I agree with you on Mitchell, but hoping that he is more comfortable and also anxious to see what Shamarko can do full time after "rotting on the bench" as Mill would say.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:31 pm

The Boykin addition sure helps. I am anxious to watch this young defense play, but apprehensive at the same time.

:suspense:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:27 am

Franco. Period. End of discussion. And in that list, you can only compare him to Bettis. The other guys aren't on the same level as Franco or Bettis. You have a decade of game after game contributions by Franco and Bettis... those are the only two in the Super Bowl era for the Steelers with that level of play for that long. This Bell kid may one day be in the mix, but running backs don't really last that long anymore.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:03 pm

Gotta say Franco, but the Bus will always have a place in my heart, even despite the fumble at the GL in Indy. Remember him BURYING Urlacher in the snow game that year? Three yards and a cloud of teeth. Great stuff to watch.

Return to Stillers Talk