Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Steelers #3 pick = WR Sammie Coates

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Steelers #3 pick = WR Sammie Coates

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat May 02, 2015 9:35 am

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552470

At pick 87 Coates represents value. Athlon ranked #80 over all and Si ranked #66. most (including Steel Haven) had him as a 2nd round pick.
4.43 40 time and a 41 inch combine best vertical jump, combined bests in Bench (23 reps), broad jump (131 inch) and 20 yard shuffle (4.03 seconds) show that Coates is a freak athlete.

The problem is his hands and focus. Drops won't fly in Pittsburgh and wrong routes can lead to picks in the pros.

Still this staff has show it can develop WR's, so I am optimistic about his future with the steelers.
BUT I don't see WR as a need position. Brown, Bryant and Wheaton make the steelers 3 deep already, and with the glaring holes on defense and lack of depth at other positions, this is not the pick I would have made.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Steelers #3 pick = WR Sammie Coates

Postby Steelers76 » Sat May 02, 2015 4:37 pm

I'm getting visions of both Limas Sweed and Antonio Brown in my head. Guess who I'm hoping he'll be more like?? Hell, I'd even take a Mike Wallace clone here!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pump-N-Iron » Wed May 06, 2015 11:33 pm

I have never been sold on Wheaton as the #3 WR. He has been just slightly better than average thus far in his career. That being said, I envision Coates and Bryant on the outside creating match-up nightmares with Antonio Brown in the slot making free safeties weep. Yes, his hands scare me, but with the right coaching and motivation, that can be fixed.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby LambertoCincoOcho » Fri May 08, 2015 9:03 pm

The intell on the hands is inaccurate. He's a safer pick than Bud Dupree IMO. I got 4 guys who will be a roster lock 4 years down the road in this draft.
1. Senquez Golson. Nickel corner with sick ball skills.
2. Doran Grant. Physical.Nice size and good awareness. Ball hawk with good technique. Fits the Steeler's, besides he's a Buckeye.
3. Sammie Coates. Fast, big bodied WR. Solid off the field. Good kid. Hands are fine.
4. Jesse James. Perfect fit as a developmental TE. Has pro bowl potential 3 or 4 years down the road.

Return to Stillers Talk