Board index » Stillers Talk » Steelers #1 Pick OLB/DE Bud Dupree

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Steelers #1 Pick OLB/DE Bud Dupree

Postby thesteelhammer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:37 pm

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Steelers #1 Pick OLB/DE Bud Dupree

Postby LenSherwood » Fri May 01, 2015 11:33 am

Why do you hate this pick hammer? Thought they should go corner instead? So much for the switch to 4-3 talk. They are loaded at linebacker now... not so loaded at defensive linemen. I hated the Jarvis Jones pick... he is way too slight to play a 3-4 (or 4-3) This one might be okay--this guy is a stud physically. it will all depend on how they do in the next rounds because they sure as shit left themselves weak in the secondary.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Fri May 01, 2015 7:10 pm

to me he's a project DE to OLB conversion. that makes him a gamble.
I don't see him as an immediate impact player due to that. (and our D needs immediate impact) I think our defense is difficult for rookies to learn and I think LB is the most difficult position on that difficult defense to learn, meaning even if we put him on the field as a rookie, it's likely in a limited role (just rush)...which makes our D more predictable.

I also don't think he stands out in game film, and also think he has trouble shedding blocks. His read and react instincts don't seem top notch to me either, which combined with learning a new position and new defense could negate that glossy 40 time.

i also don't consider him value pick at 22, since Athelon had him ranked as 25th over all prospect and Sports Illustrated had him as the 36th. (and higher rated guys like Randy Gregory were still available)

I hope I am wrong.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pump-N-Iron » Wed May 06, 2015 11:29 pm

I find it very suspect that all his Sacks, QB pressures, and Tackles for Loss came against bottom-feeders, and he disappeared against top-level competition. I don't hate the pick, but Kentucky is not the first place I look for dominant NFL caliber LBs. Seriously hoping he proves me wrong.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby LambertoCincoOcho » Fri May 08, 2015 9:11 pm

yep more bust than boom IMO. In his defense he did not have the coaching at Kentucky that he needed.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Tue May 12, 2015 8:34 am

Just read where this kid managed to graduate college while playing football. I think that's a pretty significant accomplishment and bodes well for him. Shows he's got some brains and diligence. Hope he pans out.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue May 12, 2015 5:42 pm

Even walked for his graduation (despite meaning he would be a day or two late to report) because it meant something to his mom, which shows integrity in my book. Mom comes first.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu May 21, 2015 8:47 am

The more I hear about this kid, the more I like the pick. I really like his size and weight as an OLB. If he works out, does anyone else think they might possibly work in some plays with Shazier playing strong safety? I can't wait to get the season started, but I guess that is sort of wishing away my summer. :wow:

If nothing else, it will be very interesting to see what the D looks like post-LeBeau with the influx of new faces. I really like their picks as compared to how I felt after the last few drafts. Here we go!!! :surockin:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby LambertoCincoOcho » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:43 pm

Early reports have been encouraging after mini-camp and OTA's. He's learning fast. Just sayin.

Return to Stillers Talk