Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Butler is in as DC

Postby Steelerssix » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:26 pm

Opinions?

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Butler is in as DC

Postby Steelers76 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:46 pm

Eh. As I said in my previous thread on who should be the new D.C., all Butler will be is a LeBeau clone. Don't expect any new changes to the D. But will just have to wait and see what he can do.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:57 pm

Yeah, I was hoping to see some new blood, but me thinks that he has been groomed all along for this position as I have read elsewhere that Butler was prevented from talking with other teams over the years as LB coach, so that is probably true. Like you say we may be in for more of the same old. If the LeBeau playbook is as complicated as I have been hearing (don't know for myself) is it possible that we have the athletes just not the brains for the complexity? Can all of our picks on the DL be such duds? I should hope that Butler will have some autonomy and make some radical changes and see a more potent defense. It will certainly require at least a top tier corner and lineman. On offense other than a backup RB and a tight end to be groomed (not Spaeth, Palmer) obviously need to focus on defense. Can we count on that from the HC & GM?? :?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:06 pm

Just read on article on Steelersdepot.com which quoted Butler as saying although he plans to still use the 3-4, he will occasionally use the 4-3. Take that how you will.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:06 am

Question/answer article from Steelers.com with Butler:

Q. What about an area where it might have to improve?

A. I’m going to leave that up to the head coach and the scouting department to handle that. You have guys who play on defense and they leave it all out there for you, and I really don’t want to be critical of any of them right now. I’d rather do that in private, not in public.

Huh? One would think he should have more to say about this and have input to the head coach. Why does it seem as though there is a resistance to some constructive criticism? Too early after LeBeau's departure or not wanting to tread on feelings perhaps.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:37 am

Steelerssix wrote:Question/answer article from Steelers.com with Butler:

Q. What about an area where it might have to improve?

A. I’m going to leave that up to the head coach and the scouting department to handle that. You have guys who play on defense and they leave it all out there for you, and I really don’t want to be critical of any of them right now. I’d rather do that in private, not in public.

Huh? One would think he should have more to say about this and have input to the head coach. Why does it seem as though there is a resistance to some constructive criticism? Too early after LeBeau's departure or not wanting to tread on feelings perhaps.

I read that article, too and was equally confused. Seems like there were a lot of generic answers, even, that would have sufficed: "generate more turnovers", "put more pressure on QB's", "don't give up big plays, especially at the end of halves and games." Oh, well. Here's hoping that some new blood will invigorate the D. Any chance that the specter or myth of "LeBeau" was interfering with the new guys catching on? If so, a younger, less universally acclaimed (deserving or otherwise) DC may make a big difference quickly.

As for the complexity of the system, I will say this. Perhaps crafting the defensive system to fit the capacity of your personnel, athletically and intellectually, would be more effective than insisting on speaking a foreign language and expecting those around you to catch up. Being the single smartest person in the room is helpful at a spelling bee. It doesn't necessarily translate into quality team play.

Return to Stillers Talk