Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Dick FINALLY RESIGNS !!

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Dick FINALLY RESIGNS !!

Postby StillMill » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:20 pm

Yes !! Prayers are answered !! The old tool has finally moved on to his life's work !!

Bye bye, Dickie. You dick !!

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Dick FINALLY RESIGNS !!

Postby Steelers76 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:46 pm

You were the first person I thought of when I heard this.

I read on Dean Kovacevic's site that it was a "mutal decision"

If that was the case, I wonder how much was on Dick's part vs how much it was on the organization's part?

Either way thankfully HE'S GONE! :sudancin:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:16 pm

It has been a good day after all. After sulking since the loss last week it feels great to have some good news on 2 fronts. The Poes lose contrary to my earlier prediction and the Steelers will be getting a new DC! Perhaps they will find someone who is a better judge of talent and will have the defense playing like they should to complement the offense, which has the athletes to win.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby SteelTank » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:29 am

Tomlin finally got rid of him for playing so lax... The huge cushions on all of those third and longs did him.

Took too long, but at least Tomlin is finally taking charge of the coaching staff.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:39 pm

Well, many (especially Mill) have been screaming for this for some time now. Now that it has happened, it clearly begs the question, who's up? Butler? Someone from outside? I would like to hear what people think is the next move.

Also, regardless of the softy-sitback, swiss cheese defense we have seen for the last several years, I tip my cap to the guy for all the years of quality service to the organization. Go with God, Dick. May you and your family enjoy a well-earned retirement.

Practice Squad

Postby Still_Cello » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:39 pm

Totally agree it was time. While I think Mill is *way* too harsh on Dick in general, the key reason I think he needs to go is that I do think his system is too complex for today's NFL. The players have long confirmed that the system takes time to fully grasp.... at least a year and usually 2-3 years total. *Part* of the reason for some of the big plays given up from 2010 to present were blown assignments, most likely from a very complex system. The nature of free agency dictates that you want to try an utilize young, cheap, speedy players and Dick's system was not conducive to do that.

Of course the talent we have is not very good, and Colbert should be top on the blame list for some of the recent draft choices.

I think the beginning of the end for Dick, in my book anyways, was the playoff game vs. Denver. Tebow looked like Johnny Unitas that game, and there really was not any adjustments to try and improve over the course of the game. Finally, in overtime on that first play when Denver had the ball... we had *all 11 defensive players* within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. You have Ike Taylor 1 one 1 with Demarious Thomas... no deep safety....

Now, I'm not sure if a player blew an assignment (Mundy ran up to the line right before the snap and looked completely lost), but if that was the designed play.... I'm sorry... it lost us a playoff game.... unforgivable.

Either way, even if you take all these points away, sometime a change sparks something... even if the exiting coach is going a good job, and since you cannot replace all your players at the same time, the logic is that you replace the coach to see if that has a positive impact.

I think Lebeau deserves a great deal of credit his efforts over the past 11 years for sure.

I hope they test the open market and not just hand Butler the job.... see what you can get..

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:14 am

I would bet that Tomlin didn't fire LeBeau...Rooney did. Did Tomlin fire Arians? Did Tomlin hire Haley or did the Rooneys do it? The major problem with LeBeau's scheme now is that everyone has copied it, studied it, knows what it does... and the Steelers haven't been drafting or acquiring Mean Joes or Jacks Lambert and Ham in the past seven years. Not to mention the worst deficiency--no Mel Blounts. In a day and age where teams use those pissy little four yard passes instead of a run game, you have to be able to come to the line and press the other team. Well God speed to Coach LeBeau. Despite the crap he gets, he did help innovate one of the major defensive schemes in the history of football with the zone bltiz.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby SteelTank » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:00 pm

Well, I always thought it was strange that Joey Porter was made to be his assistant... Would they hire Porter has DC?

Practice Squad

Postby Ron Burgundy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:34 pm

I think the team was right to let him go, or at least not renew his contract, but at the same time they should apologize to him for drafting shit players on defense too.

SteelTank wrote:Well, I always thought it was strange that Joey Porter was made to be his assistant... Would they hire Porter has DC?

Porter has only been an NFL assistant coach for one year and was hired apparently as an extra LB coach since Jerry Olsavsky was already the assistant LB coach and has been for five years. I would look for Olsavsky to move into Butler's spot as LB coach and Porter to get kicked up a notch to Olsavsky's spot. So it makes you wonder if the team was planning this before the season.

Practice Squad

Postby PsychoWard86 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:40 am

Still_Cello wrote:
I think the beginning of the end for Dick, in my book anyways, was the playoff game vs. Denver. Tebow looked like Johnny Unitas that game, and there really was not any adjustments to try and improve over the course of the game. Finally, in overtime on that first play when Denver had the ball... we had *all 11 defensive players* within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. You have Ike Taylor 1 one 1 with Demarious Thomas... no deep safety....

Now, I'm not sure if a player blew an assignment (Mundy ran up to the line right before the snap and looked completely lost), but if that was the designed play.... I'm sorry... it lost us a playoff game.... unforgivable.

Either way, even if you take all these points away, sometime a change sparks something... even if the exiting coach is going a good job, and since you cannot replace all your players at the same time, the logic is that you replace the coach to see if that has a positive impact.

I think Lebeau deserves a great deal of credit his efforts over the past 11 years for sure.

I hope they test the open market and not just hand Butler the job.... see what you can get..

I agree it was time for Lebeau to retire, but people put WAY too much stock in that Denver game.

Johnny Unitas? Give me break. Tebow was 10 of 21 (47%) on the game. That's right, he completed 10 passes the entire game. And he finished with 50 yards rushing, so it's not like he was running rampant, either. And yes, Mundy was out of position on that 80 yarder. He admitted as much. If he plays it like he's supposed to, the defense is exactly where it should be and that play never happens.

Johnny Unitas. Jesus. No wonder this site is a laughing stock.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:21 am

"Johnny Unitas. Jesus. No wonder this site is a laughing stock."
____________________________-

Yet here you are posting! Who's laughing now? It's only a laughing stock to sheeple like you. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!

:sufu:

Practice Squad

Postby PsychoWard86 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:10 am

SoCal Stiller wrote:"Johnny Unitas. Jesus. No wonder this site is a laughing stock."
____________________________-

Yet here you are posting! Who's laughing now? It's only a laughing stock to sheeple like you. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!

:sufu:

If someone is laughing, I can't hear it. You know, because no one is actually here.

Return to Stillers Talk