Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Goats of the Game

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

Goats of the Game

Postby Matthew1516 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:27 am

A list of simple observations:

Heath Millers played his worst game as a Steeler. Thrown around like a rag doll in blocking schemes. Killed drives with butter fingers and a fumble to end the season. Was that David Paulson in Heath's jersey?

Dri Archer is not a professional football player. He would be a great addition to some junior college roster, but it was laughable to see him in the backfield in this game.

I didn't think it was possible, but Mike Mitchell is even worse in coverage than Ryan "Oprah" Clark. He has worse ball skills than a butch lesbian. No 3rd and 16 is safe with him on the field. One of the worst free agent signings in Steelers' history.

Can we make Jarvis Jones retire and bring back Harrison for another year? Worst first round pick since Huey Richardson. A new coach would cut his ass at first sight. You can't have 12 inch arms and a Gomer Pyle grin on this defense.

I hate to say it, but Big Ben deserves much of the blame. It's not his fault that he had three running backs who didn't deserve to be on an NFL roster. The loss of Bell put a lot of pressure on Ben, and he made some great throws today. But you cannot keep killing first half drives with sacks when every possession matters. One sack pushed us out of field goal range. Another prevented a TD. Throw the ball away. Don't float the ball to Brown when you have him open for a TD. And of course that last INT ended all hope and brought back visions of Neil O'Donnell. In the end, he is the franchise, but we needed an MVP performance today. This wasn't it.

Dick Lebeau gave up six scores. Why are we giving a 10 yard cushion on 3rd and 12? Why do we almost never blitz when we know our coverage can now be counted on for more than three seconds? Why do we know we are going to get outsmarted on every game changing drive. Awful preparation, terrible scheme, gutless effort.

Todd Haley got too much grief this season. In the end, the Steelers had a great season offensively, Big Ben had a record-setting year, the running game was terrific, and pass protection was the best it's been since Ben came into the league. But no play better epitomizes why we struggle with hatred for him than that mess of a two point conversion call. You have no running back threat, you bring your star receiver in motion to the right side of the field, drawing the attention of three defenders. You then roll Big Ben right, and give him no other options except Brown. One receiver on three defenders with no Plan B? The stupidity of that single play took away much of the momentum we were gaining. And why didn't we use the no huddle offense most of the game? We just let the Ravens rest up between plays and pin their ears back to rush Ben with exotic blitzes, knowing we had no run game to speak of. Why not put their defense on its heels? Stupid.

Mike Tomlin: Simply put, is there anyone who wouldn't trade Tomlin for John Harbaugh? Didn't think so. Harbaugh is everything Tomlin is not: a good gameplanner, a good motivator, a good evaluator of talent, and somewhat intellectual in interviews. Tomlin has to take some of the blame for having no stable of running backs and no proficient DBs. When Bell went down, his back-up was Dri Archer. What kind of plan was that?

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the refs, who penalized us a full one hundred yards more than the Ratbirds. It was like they were running a haunted house with all of those phantom and ghost calls. Worse yet was the failure to call jack squat against the Ratbirds -- no holding penalties, no pass interference penalties, no unnecessary roughness penalties. It put us in a hole. But to be fair, we buried ourselves in that hole with those late turnovers.

A frustrating end to a promising season. Goodbye mighty Polamalu, leave now and let us celebrate you in the Hall of Fame rather than wishing you would leave. Goodbye to the Beard, and thanks for holding it together. Goodbye Ike Taylor -- it's amazing you kept your job this long, but we've had enough. Please stay Harrison, and show Lebeau the door instead.

See you at draft time Stillers!

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Goats of the Game

Postby LenSherwood » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:34 am

OUTSTANDING analysis of the goats of that game. :suplusone:

Mitchell absolutely fukking sucks. SUCKS... I was incensed that he could not cover a tight end-- a second string end. He was four steps behind him on that critical 3-16. FOUR steps!!
I said before that Jarvis Jones was a waste of a reach of a pick because they refused to pay Harrison. Then when you have a chance to have a decent season, you sign Harrison who at 12 years older than Jones is ten times better. Jones does not have the physical ability to play OL in the NFL.
I would add that Haley went empty backfield on those two critical sacks. You could see the Ravens lining up to blitz from Johnstown... Ben should have called TO or changed the play. There seemed to be no hot receiver and the obvious spot to throw was right down the middle of the field where the Ravens had vacated to rush from the ends.
I won't let the O line off last night however. Castro got tooled several times allowing vicious hits on Ben. Beachum... same thing. Beachum is a real tough kid who works hard but he cannot handle first tier pass rushers. He simply does not have the size or arm reach to ward off larger men.
Dumping Blount... Jesus Christ. Yes maybe he was a head case but WTF did you have after him? And Pee Pee Archer? Every team gets enthralled with some tiny little speed back but 170 pounds cannot survive in the NFL. Jesus Christ he has a punt pass and kick uniform...
The Steelers should have limited Bell against Cincy after halftime. That game meant nothing in the long run. You got the Ravens instead of the Colts who are going nowhere... You had no other running back option. Any idea why they abandoned Tate in the second half?

There was Super Bowl fever infecting the board.. this team is not manned to go far, especially on defense. You think Brady or Manning doesn't beat the living shit out of Mitchell???? Average Joe Jacko did it...

Finally dead right about the fucking refs. That phantom holding call in that situation in the fourth on Beachum negating a touchdown? Do they make that call on New England? The obvious hits to defenseless receivers--Wheaton in the fourth got speared in the back. The usual late hits to Ben, piles on etc. I wanted to shove that flag up that fucking head linesman's ass on several occasions...

Draft or FA needs-- Outside Linebacker yet again.. True Left Tackle... Safety. Corner. Back up running back. Tight End. And would I take Harbaugh over Tomlin... does the Tin Man have a sheet metal cock?

Practice Squad

Postby Matthew1516 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:39 pm

"And Pee Pee Archer? Every team gets enthralled with some tiny little speed back but 170 pounds cannot survive in the NFL. Jesus Christ he has a punt pass and kick uniform."

Too funny. Sure there are play making midgets in the NFL, but they are short, stalky, with tree-trunks for legs. Pee Pee is just slightly built, like a teenager. When he got his helmet knocked off during his one carry, I thought I was watching that scene from the movie "Lucas." Let's give this nerd his varsity jacket, all have a good cry, and make sure he never sets foot on a football field again.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:25 pm

Matthew1516 wrote:A list of simple observations:

Not trying to sound like I am an analyst as good as this one and I haven't read Mill yet, but I am answering here as a way of agreeing with all that is said. Italics my response.

Heath Millers played his worst game as a Steeler. Thrown around like a rag doll in blocking schemes. Killed drives with butter fingers and a fumble to end the season. Was that David Paulson in Heath's jersey?

I asked at the end of the game thread if anyone thinks Miller is done.

Dri Archer is not a professional football player. He would be a great addition to some junior college roster, but it was laughable to see him in the backfield in this game.

I repeated ad nauseum during the game thread regarding the total incompetence of the management/coaches to have ANYBODY behind Bell.

I didn't think it was possible, but Mike Mitchell is even worse in coverage than Ryan "Oprah" Clark. He has worse ball skills than a butch lesbian. No 3rd and 16 is safe with him on the field. One of the worst free agent signings in Steelers' history.

Again during the game thread pissing and moaning about the 3rd and fill-in-the-blank failures and Mitchell in particular.

Can we make Jarvis Jones retire and bring back Harrison for another year? Worst first round pick since Huey Richardson. A new coach would cut his ass at first sight. You can't have 12 inch arms and a Gomer Pyle grin on this defense.

I mentioned in other threads that I was hoping we would have taken CJ Mosley in the draft....the poes did.

I hate to say it, but Big Ben deserves much of the blame. It's not his fault that he had three running backs who didn't deserve to be on an NFL roster. The loss of Bell put a lot of pressure on Ben, and he made some great throws today. But you cannot keep killing first half drives with sacks when every possession matters. One sack pushed us out of field goal range. Another prevented a TD. Throw the ball away. Don't float the ball to Brown when you have him open for a TD. And of course that last INT ended all hope and brought back visions of Neil O'Donnell. In the end, he is the franchise, but we needed an MVP performance today. This wasn't it.

I mentioned in other threads that if Ben doesn't have passes sail high or go in the dirt we have a chance since it would be on him.

Dick Lebeau gave up six scores. Why are we giving a 10 yard cushion on 3rd and 12? Why do we almost never blitz when we know our coverage can now be counted on for more than three seconds? Why do we know we are going to get outsmarted on every game changing drive. Awful preparation, terrible scheme, gutless effort.

See above on the 3rd and fill-in-the-blank.

Todd Haley got too much grief this season. In the end, the Steelers had a great season offensively, Big Ben had a record-setting year, the running game was terrific, and pass protection was the best it's been since Ben came into the league. But no play better epitomizes why we struggle with hatred for him than that mess of a two point conversion call. You have no running back threat, you bring your star receiver in motion to the right side of the field, drawing the attention of three defenders. You then roll Big Ben right, and give him no other options except Brown. One receiver on three defenders with no Plan B? The stupidity of that single play took away much of the momentum we were gaining. And why didn't we use the no huddle offense most of the game? We just let the Ravens rest up between plays and pin their ears back to rush Ben with exotic blitzes, knowing we had no run game to speak of. Why not put their defense on its heels? Stupid.

Sometimes I think the offense succeeded in spite of Haley, just good athletes in the right places.

Mike Tomlin: Simply put, is there anyone who wouldn't trade Tomlin for John Harbaugh? Didn't think so. Harbaugh is everything Tomlin is not: a good gameplanner, a good motivator, a good evaluator of talent, and somewhat intellectual in interviews. Tomlin has to take some of the blame for having no stable of running backs and no proficient DBs. When Bell went down, his back-up was Dri Archer. What kind of plan was that?

I could repeat my whining about the RB situation, but I am even tired of hearing myself.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the refs, who penalized us a full one hundred yards more than the Ratbirds. It was like they were running a haunted house with all of those phantom and ghost calls. Worse yet was the failure to call jack squat against the Ratbirds -- no holding penalties, no pass interference penalties, no unnecessary roughness penalties. It put us in a hole. But to be fair, we buried ourselves in that hole with those late turnovers.

I never like to lay it on the refs because everybody says that it is sour grapes, but I mentioned this as well in the game thread. How many 15 yd. or worse "penalties" helped the poes?

A frustrating end to a promising season. Goodbye mighty Polamalu, leave now and let us celebrate you in the Hall of Fame rather than wishing you would leave. Goodbye to the Beard, and thanks for holding it together. Goodbye Ike Taylor -- it's amazing you kept your job this long, but we've had enough. Please stay Harrison, and show Lebeau the door instead.

Couldn't agree more.

See you at draft time Stillers!

I am very disappointed and the prospect of the next draft makes me shudder.

Practice Squad

Postby Matthew1516 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:02 pm

I am withholding judgment on our last draft, as opposed to the previous year with Jarvis Jones, which has been a disaster. Shazier may pan out if he stays healthy next season. Tuitt was an intelligent pick, and did not play poorly. Bryant was a steal in the fourth round. McCullers helped the team as well and was a good gamble in the sixth round.

Archer was a disaster. We needed help in the secondary, and instead we wasted an early pick on a kid who can't play at all and took up a spot for a legitimate running back. The other picks will never play on this team. But if Shazier becomes a second coming of Timmons, and Tuitt, Bryant and McCullers continue to grow, it's not a bad draft. Four starters with one or two potential stars would be a great draft.

Return to Stillers Talk