Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Steelers Sign RB Ben Tate

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Steelers Sign RB Ben Tate

Postby Steelers76 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:20 pm

In wake of whether Bell will be ready to go this Saturday, The Steelers signed RB Ben Tate today. To make way for him on the 53 man, the team released WR Justin Brown.

I suggested right here a month and a half ago the team sign Tate to bolster the RB depth after Blount got released. A shame it took the team's MVP getting hurt 6 weeks later for that to finally happen. Not so much signing Tate specifically, but any RB with experience and/or success to back-up Bell.

And Justin Brown being the one to be released to make room for Tate? Yeah, I think it's safe to assume the coaching staff completely whiffed on his "abilities" to start him over Bryant the first 6 weeks of the season.

But remember boys and girls, they're the coaching staff. They see these guys everyday and know better than we do on who should be starting! :sushootem:

Hall of Famer

Re: Steelers Sign RB Ben Tate

Postby isfry » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:39 pm

Just when Justin Brown was about to blow up, too...

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby ibleedBLACKandGOLD81 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:21 am

Steelers76 wrote:I suggested right here a month and a half ago the team sign Tate to bolster the RB depth after Blount got released. A shame it took the team's MVP getting hurt 6 weeks later for that to finally happen. Not so much signing Tate specifically, but any RB with experience and/or success to back-up Bell.

And Justin Brown being the one to be released to make room for Tate?

The Steelers couldn't sign Tate before he was released by the Vikings on December 23. He never cleared waivers after being cut by the Browns. The Vikings, Colts, and Cardinals had all put in a claim for Tate and the Vikings were awarded him, I assume because they had the worst record of the three. Tate didn't do much for the Vikings either but now we'll see what he can do on a good football team. Until yesterday I wasn't aware he had been released a week ago and I was wondering if we shouldn't sign Ray Rice. As much as it would have been great to see Rice go against his former team, I thought it was extremely unlikely we'd sign him (probably even if Tate wasn't available).

As far as Justin Brown being the one who was released, I thought it should have been Heyward-Bey since he's going to be a UFA this offseason anyways, but then I realized that Justin Brown is still eligible for the practice squad and therefore the Steelers will be able to retain his rights so long as he clears waivers. Expect Justin Brown to be signed to the practice squad today or tomorrow (assuming he clears waivers, which I believe he will).

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:13 am

ibleedBLACKandGOLD81 wrote:
Steelers76 wrote:I suggested right here a month and a half ago the team sign Tate to bolster the RB depth after Blount got released. A shame it took the team's MVP getting hurt 6 weeks later for that to finally happen. Not so much signing Tate specifically, but any RB with experience and/or success to back-up Bell.

And Justin Brown being the one to be released to make room for Tate?

The Steelers couldn't sign Tate before he was released by the Vikings on December 23. He never cleared waivers after being cut by the Browns. The Vikings, Colts, and Cardinals had all put in a claim for Tate and the Vikings were awarded him, I assume because they had the worst record of the three. Tate didn't do much for the Vikings either but now we'll see what he can do on a good football team. Until yesterday I wasn't aware he had been released a week ago and I was wondering if we shouldn't sign Ray Rice. As much as it would have been great to see Rice go against his former team, I thought it was extremely unlikely we'd sign him (probably even if Tate wasn't available).

As far as Justin Brown being the one who was released, I thought it should have been Heyward-Bey since he's going to be a UFA this offseason anyways, but then I realized that Justin Brown is still eligible for the practice squad and therefore the Steelers will be able to retain his rights so long as he clears waivers. Expect Justin Brown to be signed to the practice squad today or tomorrow (assuming he clears waivers, which I believe he will).

I actually would've went with BenJarvus Green-Ellis over Tate but surprisingly the former didn't play anywhere this season, so who knows how rusty he would've been. I don't think the Steelers ever would've seriously entertained the thought of bringing in Rice in for a second, at least not now.

As far as Justin Brown and Heyward-Bey go....I don't care about either as both suck, and have no future here.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:30 pm

It's comforting to think that Justin Brown's elite blocking skills can still be put to good use on the practice squad at least...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:11 pm

But if they release Heyward-Bey I will certainly miss the Mill quote about him. And he did have some fun with J. Brown as well.
Just glad that they now have someone who can do some damage from the RB spot and am excited about what we might see from Franco, er, I mean Josh Harris.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pump-N-Iron » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:04 am

isfry wrote:It's comforting to think that Justin Brown's elite blocking skills can still be put to good use on the practice squad at least...

Actually, according to NFL rules, since Justin Brown appeared in 6 games this season, he is no longer eligible for the Practice Squad.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:08 pm

Oh, well. Starbucks is hiring.

Return to Stillers Talk