Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:20 am

Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:58 am

Well the Steelers get to host one playoff game now, without a running game most likely as hyper extensions of the knee don't allow you to come back in a week...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:54 am

Not too much to disagree with from Mill's analysis, but I do think the secondary did a bit better than we have been accustomed to witnessing. It could be argued that the INT's, both from McCain were of the dong variety, however, many a game won or lost has hinged on such plays and if one can capitalize on this. i.e. by scoring points I will take it. At least Blake had the presence of mind to keep after the ball from his FF instead of preening. The secondary is still weak, but they were hitting last night and will need to do so against the Poes Sat. night. I like everyone else here is dismayed at the prospect of playing w/o Bell. He is a huge chunk of the offense and as Mill stated he can block as well. Yes football is a tough sport but, I still do not like the low hit by the Bungles corner after watching it in slo-mo over and over. Bell was a helluva find, but it will be tough to beat Flako and the Poes w/o him. If Ben has a bad night forget it. Hopefully Josh Harris can help fill the void if his 59 yard rip was any indication. Cannot afford piss poor ST, punting, tackling etc. especially with Jacoby Jones returning kicks and then giving away field position to the ravens and I am sure we will see the deep lob from Flako a few times. If the D can beat up on Flako like they did last month we should win. Ngata will be back after his 4-game (nice coincidence) suspension for PEDS. That will hurt.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:43 am

Haley and Ben should carry some blame for Bell injury. Why? Sending Bell on a crossing route is a stupid way to use his talent. That route probably THE MOST DANGEROUS ROUTE FOR A RECIEVER IN FOOTBALL. And while perhaps legal, the lowlife BentGal had an easy read on the timing to take out the knee which it looked like he was going for.
There is a naturopathic remedy for a hyperextended knee that could really speed Bell's recovery. The plant leaf Comfry. It grows wild in Pacific NW and I would next day send a whole plant if it was possible to convince fuddy duddies that it works MIRACLES with swelling which is the problem with that type of injury.
AB saved the day while Bryant almost turned it into a replay of GB last year where AB stepped out of bounds.
Excellent team effort playing up to the game and competition. Both LeBeau and Haley had very good game plans. Some creds to STs as well.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:02 am

Few points :

Bell is great but... We are where we are because of the passing. Look at the ranks : Passing Offense : Sencond. Running Offese: 16th...

The Offense improved because of Martevis Bryant and the excellent job of the Oline. I am sure a combination of Harris and Archer will get the job done.

Other thing : Tomlin bio is as follows now :

2007 10 -6
2008 12-4
2009 9-7
2010 12-4
2011 12-4
2012 8-8
2013 8-8
2014 11-5

Total 84 - 46 ( should make an average of 10.5 - 5.5 )

Not bad at all. Every fan should sign for this kind of record. I am hurt by his actions ( I do not trust him at all with what happened yesterday after the Jacoby Jones incident last year...), but he is showing as a good hc.

Now let's get to some real action. GO STEELERS :subngtowl: :subngtowl: :subngtowl:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:21 am

Great writeup Mill. Have to agree that the 89-yard, time-chewing drive after the pick was one of the most futile defensive efforts I have seen. Left me retching up my pizza.

Most of that game Dalton played poorly, he missed any number of open receivers. If we get "good" Flacco, we could have some issues there. I wouldn't be bragging on our secondary just yet.

Not only was the fake punt a poor call - Bungles were completely ready for it, should have audibled it away - it was poorly executed. With the primary receiver covered, Wing still had plenty of time to pooch punt it.

NFL helmet to helmet rules have resulted in injuries like the one to Bell. Before those rules, that Bengal defender would have wrapped up Bell somewhere above the waist and wrestled him down. They don't really have that choice anymore, it's too easy to have incidental helmet contact and find yourself down $20K or more. My guess is Bell will play next week but not be 100%. And he is not just our only NFL caliber running back, he has been one of our best receivers, something we didn't have with Mendenhall. To me Bell has been the major reason for the 3-game differential between last year and this year.

First home playoff game in 4 years! Hope they don't waste it. I don't see any scenario where the playoffs come back to Pittsburgh this year, the Patsies easily handled both the Bungholes and the Dolts earlier in the season.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby bubbybrister » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:35 am

I agree Ohio that passing got us here. 16th in rushing is nothing to beat your chest about but imagine where it would be with Bell's ability to make something out of nothing... 28th or worse.

I also thought the DBs played well last night, especially the physical play of antwon blake. Nice to see young guys getting a chance, which makes the Sharko benching all the more confusing with the horrible play of Mitchell. Unfortunately, I expect Blake and Mccain to be on the bench next week with the return of Ike Taylor. Old, slow Dick loves his old, slow DBs.

My favorite highlight last night was when collinsworth was trying to say how happy the steelers are with having Speath back for his blocking as he is giving the LOLB a free run at Ben. He is a throwback to when tight-ends couldn't catch or block.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:39 am

Numbers are correct Ohio as percentages, however, Bell is our second leading receiver behind Brown I believe. I hope they go to Bryant more often as he only had 1 catch last night for TD and nothing after if I am correct. Oh, except for almost taking Brown out on the long TD!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:43 am

I also thought the DBs played well last night, especially the physical play of antwon blake. Nice to see young guys getting a chance, which makes the Sharko benching all the more confusing with the horrible play of Mitchell. Unfortunately, I expect Blake and Mccain to be on the bench next week with the return of Ike Taylor. Old, slow Dick loves his old, slow DBs.
I agree Bubby with the play of DB's and mentioned it earlier.

My favorite highlight last night was when collinsworth was trying to say how happy the steelers are with having Speath back for his blocking as he is giving the LOLB a free run at Ben. He is a throwback to when tight-ends couldn't catch or block.[/quote]

Bubby - I remember laughing at that comment. Collinsworth also asked Lebeau if Mitchell could step in and fill the shoes of Pola! :dunce:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:16 pm

Good wrap, Mill. Totally agree on the dong INT's and the song sacks, but thought the defense played OK, outside the two long TD drives. Totally agree, Pommah, on the pooch punt. Stupid call on the fake to begin with but once its blown up, kick it twenty yards and see what happens. No reason on God's green Earth for Wing to be throwing wounded ducks over the middle into coverage.

Hope you're right about Bell, Pommah, but I don't necessarily think it sinks us next week, if he needs to recuperate. Against the Ravens Bell went for 79 yards on 21 carries, which sounds OK until you realize that's over BOTH games. He did add 86 yards on 10 catches over those two games and some intangible block stats that helped BR7 stay upright, but my point is that I wouldn't' mind seeing him rested for several reasons.

1.) We have trouble running the ball against the Rats anyway, and Josh Harris can keep them "honest" with some 2 yards plunges.
2) Their secondary is worse than ours. Ben should light them up in the passing game.
3) We need Bell for the run to the SB. While I was (am still am) opposed to LenSherwood's proposal to rest healthy players, I am in favor of resting injured ones to get them back to full strength if its necessary.
4) Bell at 75% may be still be better than Harris at 100%, but I fear the thugs and felons in pink (I'm talking to you, Suggs) would target his knee all night in an effort to aggravate the injury.

Hopefully it's not as serious as it first looked. He DID walk off the field and down the steps. I haven't heard any meaningful update yet. I wish him a speedy and complete recovery but I still like our chances of beating the Rats in our house next week.

Practice Squad

Postby mborz » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:15 pm

It really irks me that this team gave some half-assed efforts and ended up losing to the likes of the Jets and Buccaneers, which we now know cost them a bye, which we now know could have come in very handy if Bell isn't going to be ready to go by Saturday.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:40 pm

mborz wrote:It really irks me that this team gave some half-assed efforts and ended up losing to the likes of the Jets and Buccaneers, which we now know cost them a bye, which we now know could have come in very handy if Bell isn't going to be ready to go by Saturday.

Damn right, MBORZ. That's the hidden cost of seemingly meaningless early season losses. 12-4, certainly 13-3, would have meant a much needed week of rest.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pump-N-Iron » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:37 pm

While I agree that McCain's INTs were both of the Dong variety, I will contend that Ike drops at least 1 if not both of those!

Practice Squad

Postby RetireCowher » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:22 pm

How do people read his crap? He-man homophobic slurs all over the page bookended by feeble, childish attempts at scatological humor? Is there even a single player on the roster Mill likes -- other than those who don't get much playing time and, because of that, afford him other angles of complaint? Jeez. I think I watched a completely different game.

Good luck through the playoffs. I'm done with this "Dong Blog".

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:17 pm

So... you joined for exactly 1 entire day then say you're done with this site? Good riddance. If you're looking for political correctness and the "perfect happy football place", there are plenty of other boring ass vanilla sites to visit. We're all just here for the entertainment and discussion that fills our day.

I never understand people like this? Why in the hell did you sign up in the first place?

:sushootem:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:42 pm

Dealt with RetireCowher last night as can be seen throughout the game thread and knew he was a clown. I even had some sarcastic replies to his junk to no avail. Probably a poebird fan still sore from the whoopin they got last meeting.

Practice Squad

Postby RetireCowher » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:10 am

Steelerssix wrote:Dealt with RetireCowher last night as can be seen throughout the game thread and knew he was a clown. I even had some sarcastic replies to his junk to no avail. Probably a poebird fan still sore from the whoopin they got last meeting.

Hey there, you sadsack. I explicitly mentioned my old man is a Steelers fan and I grew up one but - to tell you the truth - it's the ugly, stupidity of football fans like yourself that turned me off the sport. A "community" is impossible for you dullards. Thats why I'm one day and out.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:22 am

RetireCowher wrote:
Steelerssix wrote:Dealt with RetireCowher last night as can be seen throughout the game thread and knew he was a clown. I even had some sarcastic replies to his junk to no avail. Probably a poebird fan still sore from the whoopin they got last meeting.

Hey there, you sadsack. I explicitly mentioned my old man is a Steelers fan and I grew up one but - to tell you the truth - it's the ugly, stupidity of football fans like yourself that turned me off the sport. A "community" is impossible for you dullards. Thats why I'm one day and out.

Hey RetireCowher - In this my final reply to you I am posting below your initial comment that prompted the replies from this "community". If you didn't suffer from the attention span of a goldfish you would read and realize on this forum that there are disagreements all the time, which makes this a worthy forum. Have a nice day.

Your words:
How do people read his crap? He-man homophobic slurs all over the page bookended by feeble, childish attempts at scatological humor? Is there even a single player on the roster Mill likes -- other than those who don't get much playing time and, because of that, afford him other angles of complaint? Jeez. I think I watched a completely different game.

Good luck through the playoffs. I'm done with this "Dong Blog".

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:18 pm

I just can't believe RetireCowher is really [sniff] gone...

It feels like just [sniff] yesterday that he joined...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:39 pm

No worries isfry, Im sure you can find him over at pcwhineybitch.com

:cheers:

Next

Return to Stillers Talk