Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » SHOULD THE STILLERS REST OUR STARTERS?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers

SHOULD THE STILLERS REST THE STARTERS?

YES
29%
NO
71%

Total votes : 7
Hall of Famer

Re: SHOULD THE STILLERS REST OUR STARTERS?

Postby isfry » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:16 pm

Any thoughts on this?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... y-steelers

Might be a prudent roster move, not jus for this weekend, but for the SB run.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:43 pm

My thought is that we need whatever help at that position we can get. Archer has no business on the football field, let alone in the offensive backfield. This is big boy football. If Tate's the best available then so be it. My biggest concern is that he was cut from 2 non-playoff teams.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:53 pm

Who knows - for a chance at a ring he might produce. He wasn't going to get that chance with the browns. Be nice to give the poes a bit more to think about. They have to know archer is not much of a threat, but Harris could be. With that namesake how bad could it be?

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:27 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:My thought is that we need whatever help at that position we can get. Archer has no business on the football field, let alone in the offensive backfield. This is big boy football. If Tate's the best available then so be it. My biggest concern is that he was cut from 2 non-playoff teams.

My understanding is that Tate was cut for bitching about number of carries and play time both times. Steelersix has a point that those kinds of complaints tend to go away when the postseason is in full swing, as guys start to smell a Lombardi. Besides, he'll probably get all the carries he wants this weekend then we can reassess. On the other hand, maybe I underestimate Harris. He has been on the practice squad, he has practiced with the team, he knows the offense, and he appears to be able to run (see the 59 yard scamper Sunday night.)

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:58 am

I remember when they signed the Bus, and San Diego accused him of having a bad attitude... My dad came running into the living room ranting and raving about the Bus claiming that playing in the Burgh would be like running downhill... Look how that turned out for us.

These untried and untested guys are difficult to predict. My only question is why don't they get rid of someone that really cannot make a meaningful contribution to the squad, such as Pee Pee Archer as has been proven on the field? Those front office jokers do these bone headed roster moves and make decisions without considering all the options in my opinion.
Last edited by Crucible-steel-kid on Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:11 am

Bell is probably one of only a couple true home runs that Colbert and Tomlin have hit in their drafting years. He can do it all. I would guess they can beat the Ravens without him, but that is not a guarantee... it is not a guarantee with him. It will depend on Roetheslisburger. It does every week. This team is not manned to win a Super Bowl. Manning and Brady await. That defense won't stop either one of them.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:13 am

[quote="LenSherwood"]Bell is probably one of only a couple true home runs that Colbert and Tomlin have hit in their drafting years. He can do it all. I would guess they can beat the Ravens without him, but that is not a guarantee... it is not a guarantee with him. It will depend on Roetheslisburger. It does every week. This team is not manned to win a Super Bowl. Manning and Brady await. That defense won't stop either one of them. It is a shame because if they had just two more impact players and a reliable shutdown corner, it might not be out of reach.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:44 pm

Saw this article this morning on NFL.com.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... day-by-day

First thing that made me smile was the title, and the first paragraph about Bell feeling great and walking without even a limp. Combine that with Coach seeing Bell on Tuesday pedaling an exercise bike like he was training for the Tour de France, and I'm starting to get hope for his 100% appearance on Saturday.

The second thing that made me smile was this paragraph:

"For his part, Harris said both receiver Antonio Brown and tight end Heath Miller have pulled him aside and talked to him about "staying calm." As a reporter asked Harris about the added pressure, linebacker Jason Worilds walked by and said, "There's no pressure. Don't put that in his head.""

I REALLY like the idea of veterans on this team showing the new guys (even the newest guys) the ropes of the postseason. We're gonna need all 53 to play their best if we want to hoist that dirty Lombardi.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:07 pm

LenSherwood wrote:
LenSherwood wrote:Bell is probably one of only a couple true home runs that Colbert and Tomlin have hit in their drafting years. He can do it all. I would guess they can beat the Ravens without him, but that is not a guarantee... it is not a guarantee with him. It will depend on Roetheslisburger. It does every week. This team is not manned to win a Super Bowl. Manning and Brady await. That defense won't stop either one of them. It is a shame because if they had just two more impact players and a reliable shutdown corner, it might not be out of reach.

Your assessment of the team not being manned for SB I think applies only to the D. And yes if #7 has passes sail high or thrown in the dirt, which we have seen, could spell trouble. In a perfect world we have at least one high caliber player in the secondary (Sharko, oh wait we don't know) and one decent DL and they would be set. My hope is that Harrison can disrupt the offense as bad as he did against the chiefs that our offense won't need to carry all the load. :sucope:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:29 pm

It's official.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... nst-ravens

Get on the Josh-O Harris train.

Previous

Return to Stillers Talk