Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » SHOULD THE STILLERS REST OUR STARTERS?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers

SHOULD THE STILLERS REST THE STARTERS?

YES
29%
NO
71%

Total votes : 7
Grizzled Veteran

SHOULD THE STILLERS REST OUR STARTERS?

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:35 pm

I say rest them. Better to have a fresh crew go into the playoffs than having them banged up....

Hall of Famer

Re: SHOULD THE STILLERS REST OUR STARTERS?

Postby isfry » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:38 pm

Never liked resting starters. Keep the momentum going. Besides, a home game is worth playing for. Play our cards right and we can rest the starters in the 4th quarter after the Bungholes have already folded up their tents.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:12 pm

The only way I'd agree with that is if we had The AFC North already won. We don't, so no. I want a Division Title, not just a playoff berth.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:03 am

winning division is in our grasp. always worth doing given the playoff seedings and home field advantage.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:12 am

The reason to win the division is to play at least one game at home, but right now that would mean hosting the Chargers and they are dangerous to a secondary as weak as the Steeler's. If they lose they get the Colts and the Colts don't look all that great right now after yesterday. Rivers is far more dangerous to the Steelers than Luck right now. You can see him lighting up that weak assed secondary. Luck in that traditional offense where they try to run the ball... not so much as the first game proved. You have to rest Harrison--he doesn't need the start right now and two weeks off would help him in the run. They flat out cannot lose Ben of course, but there isn't a replacement for Bell, or Brown either and can Spaeth pick up for Miller if he gets hurt in the last game?? So is it worth risking injury to win the division and to get a less favorable matchup?

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:26 am

I say dance with the girl who brung ya. Let the cards fall as they may.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:20 pm

I have a related question. If the Broncos lose tonight and next week, they are 11-5, 9-3 in the conference. If the Steelers beat the Bungholes, they finish 11-5 and 9-3 in the conference. I looked over the tiebreaking procedures but it talks a lot about "breaking a tie within the division." Do the same factors apply to determining third seed versus second seed?

i.e. is there a chance that we could vault to the second seed? Denver doesn't have it clinched, which must mean that either Indy or us can catch them for it, right?

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:27 pm

Or does it just mean that Cincy could catch them if THEY won out and Denver lost to OAK, because of Cincy's tie? (11-5 versus 11-4-1?)

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:32 pm

isfry-- I can't keep track of the tie breakers. Good thing that the Steelers eliminated the need to calculate that by winning yesterday. Are you still predicting beating the Fudgepackers in the Super Bowl?

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:59 pm

Yup. Stairway to seven begins in earnest now.

11-5. We win the North. We beat the Fudgepackers in the Super Bowl.

I, too, like the win and in or, now, win and take the division, simplicity. My only question is whether advancing to the second seed is even possible. A bye week and then a home game would be nice.

Probably irrelevant, anyhow, because it hinges on the Bungholes beating Manning tonight.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:09 pm

isfry wrote:Yup. Stairway to seven begins in earnest now.

I, too, like the win and in or, now, win and take the division, simplicity. My only question is whether advancing to the second seed is even possible. A bye week and then a home game would be nice.

Probably irrelevant, anyhow, because it hinges on the Bungholes beating Manning tonight.

I was watching the nfl.com network and they had Terrell Davis what the NFL predictor on there and they said that the Steelers will go to the third seed unfortunately I don't have a link.they will end up playing the Bungholes two times inside of a month.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:14 am

Since Bungles beat the donkeys they need to beat the Bungles and can move up in the seedings. Am I correct?

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:08 pm

Nope. I mean, yes, we can get the 3 seed by beating the holes. We get the 5 if we don't. But we cant get the 2. Believe it or not, cincy can, if they beat us and the raiders beat Denver.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:16 pm

3 seed is worth it, less likely to hit up against the Pats in 2nd round

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:50 pm

I agree, Pommah. Beat the bungholes at home two weeks in a row, let the Colts or Chargers go beat up the Patsies while we give Peyton "happy feet".

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:40 am

Crucible-steel-kid wrote:
isfry wrote:Yup. Stairway to seven begins in earnest now.

I was watching the nfl.com network and they had Terrell Davis what the NFL predictor on there and they said that the Steelers will go to the third seed unfortunately I don't have a link.they will end up playing the Bungholes two times inside of a month.

Here is the link that I was referring to:

LINK:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap300 ... -Predictor

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:54 am

Well they lost Bell to get the Ravens at home. Was it worth the win?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:58 am

Yeah Len it does suck. I really liked our chances against the Poes before Bell going down, but now..... This is where a stout D can help fill the void.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:22 pm

If you don't want your players to get injured, you should rest them all year. This is football and people get hurt. The AFC North crown and a home playoff game were on the line. No way anyone, including Bell, should have been rested.

Besides, as I pointed out in another post, resting Bell against the Rats (if even necessary) doesn't change a whole lot, as long as it's Harris not Pee Pee Archer in there, particularly for blocking purposes. We don't run the ball effectively against them, even with Bell. He will be missed in the passing and blocking game, but he didn't take over either of the two games against them this year. I say, if need be, rest him next week, get him ready for the divisional round, and win this game by harassing Flak-O and letting Ben shred their pitiful secondary.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:26 pm

It could be worse as the link below suggests Mike Wallace quit on the Dolphins Sunday. He was quick, but I believe Mill would call him "skillet hands" occasionally, which is hilarious.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 15065.html

Next

Return to Stillers Talk