Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Falcons Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Falcons Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:56 am

Stillers-Falcons Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers-Falcons Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby Pommah » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:48 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This unit will probably make the playoffs, might even win in the first round. But a team that can't go to a town like Atlanta where half the crowd is wearing black and gold, where they are missing their total stud receiver, and decimate them, stands no chance going into a Denver or Foxboro and pulling out a V. No chance.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:39 pm

Very entertaining reading. Atlanta despite their record, came to play. Steelers can expect all teams to defend left power sweep the same way Atlanta did. Ben made them pay especially the 3rd down pass to Heath. Steelers would have scored on that drive and should have had another td if Ben could have gotten set on an Atlanta blitz. Instead the pass was lamely short, Bryant was wide open deep though. Steelers left 2 tds on the field which would have been another 40+point O production. D(H) LeBeau has been calling a better game these last 2 games. If if only Steelers pass rush could get a little more pressure we could stop having our corners be the leading tacklers. It is the only thing stopping this team from being serious SB contenders. Shazier, the way (s)he tackles, reminds one of Brian Bosworth. Jones not that bad, but he dances more than Mendenhall did. Saw Atlanta guard rudely shove him to the ground and without even saying he was sorry. That is LeBeau AND Mitchells problem in a nutshell: last 2 #1s flat out suck. Thomas good on ST like Curtis Brown but could not cover a tackle eligible which is why he needs to stay on the bench.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:56 pm

fred wrote: D(H) LeBeau has been calling a better game these last 2 games. If if only Steelers pass rush could get a little more pressure we could stop having our corners be the leading tacklers. It is the only thing stopping this team from being serious SB contenders.

Not sure I agree with your statement about Lebeau. Matt Ryan had a pretty decent day with 310 yds. passing w/o Julius Jones. Certainly need more pass rush, but our secondary is just woefully inadequate to stop a mediocre passing attack, let alone the likes of Manning, Brady. I think it is obvious that Pola's best days are behind him and other than perhaps Gay and healthy Ike we have nothing. That is unless Sharko is allowed to stop riding pine and get some playing time. Can the secondary get any worse?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby ballhair » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:08 pm

Yep, Atlanta had nine guys in the box determined not to let Bell run wild on them. Ben played alright but should of put up two more touchdowns. This game shouldn't of been that close. Ben's performance yesterday against a Nre England or a Denver and we lose.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:09 am

Good write-up, Mill. I agree with most of the grades. I, too, was incensed by the call on Worilds legit sack. On top of that, the same fucking call was made later on a 3rd down in the Whiners-Squawks game, giving Seattle a fresh set of downs in the red zone, on which they got six instead of settling for 3. The announcers NEVER shut up about it. In fact, it was the teaser to SC later that night ("Seattle capitalizes on a controversial call and ends SF's season, blah blah blah)

The fucking dicks in the box in ATL? Not a fucking word. Even my wife was like, "They're not even saying anything about it..."

All I can say is good thing the FO hasn't listened to me screaming about getting DB's in the draft for the last four years, because we clearly have the best secondary in football. FUCK!!!

Even so, 11-5. We win the North. We beat the Fudgepackers in the Super Bowl.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:19 am

"Dick(head) LeBeau, would rather be sodomized with a broom handle covered with barbed wire, rather than give a rookie meaningful PT"

I have to admit, I squirmed in my chair a bit when I read this line. :wow:

My hope is that some of the other teams are peaking too soon and we're still climbing. Sadly, our secondary will more than likely be this team's undoing. Still sucks about Keisel who was having one of his best seasons IMO. Also, I need to see Bryant on the field way more than I'm seeing. Seems like he's still 4th on the depth chart behind Moore. I want to see him at the #2 by the end of this season. :yes:

Practice Squad

Postby FuckTomBrady » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:06 pm

New Screen name. Sorry I had to recreate a new name and use a new email address. I had some real issues logging on.

Thanks Mill for another great season of analysis and breakdown. I have a few things that have my head shaking even this deep into the season:

Cam Thomas is pathetic as well as Mitchell. Benching these bums shows that Momlin had no idea what the fuck he was doing signing them in the first place, which admits failure. He just wont do it.

Not playing Shark is insane, given he is healthy. Once again, given his rookie contract, we may be seeing another Keen Lewis like departure.

This team is thin across the board as far as depth is concerned. Except the QB position.....fucking mind boggling if you think about it. We have a no name punter, a year to year contract long snapper who has a history of health issues. God forbid the genius from William and Mary were to address our battles in the AFC north and realize how important field position is and hold a god dam contest for a punter. There are 30 million Mexicans here in Florida that play soccer daily in this state. I bet we could find one that would give Wing a battle.

Christmas wish list for 2015 season:

Please GTF OUT! C. Thomas, Mitchell, Ike, Puffer, DHB (hilarious) Laundry Jones, Pee Archer, DICKER Leblow

PFI (Plan for improvement) J Jones, Shazier, Tuitt, McCullers, Spence, C. Allen (1 more chance)

Sorry to see you go: Diesel, Troy and James. I have a theory that James still has plenty left in the tank and a healthier body due to his late start in the NFL. 1 more season would be awesome for James.

We have no identity. If I were to label them, it would be what we saw against the Falcons: We had to outscore an opponent that could quickly hang 50 points against our pathetic defense and hope for a stop or two, with hope for a few blunders on their side of the ball. We will have to be nearly perfect on offense to carry this Tomlin built team....what a scary thing to look at moving forward.

This is not Steelers football.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:04 pm

As I have been mulling over last week's game in my head, something occurred to me. Yes, the Falcons clearly watched tape on the two prior weeks and were ready to defend the "37 Counter" or "37 Georgia." Yes, the play that iced the game when we basically faked a counter left and Ben rolled the other way to hit a wide open Miller was awesome, and a nice way to put a fork in it.

My question is this. Why the hell wait until the last fucking drive of the 4th quarter to use the defense's strategy against them? It's typical Haley. Keep doing something until it doesn't work anymore, then keep doing it some more. How about anticipating what the defense will try to do to you, based on your tendencies, and then capitalizing on the defense's strategy by disguising a play to look like what they expect, only to be something different?

If the offense had installed a couple fake "37 Georgia" plays EARLIER in the game, they likely would have been effective. PLUS, the thought of the fake "37 Georgia" in the defense's head might have actually allowed us to use the actual play and get some yards on the ground that way, and control the game a little better than we did.

Just one man's opinion. I could be wrong.

Return to Stillers Talk