Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Can Texans' Rookie LT handle Harrison?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Can Texans' Rookie LT handle Harrison?

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:47 pm

Welcome to the NFL kid. :D

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors;_ylt=AvbuWoAMaYf8xQIZjU.wFJBDubYF

Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:26 am EDT

Texans' rookie LT Brown will have hands full with Steelers
Getty Images

Once in Pittsburgh there stood the Steel Curtain, anchored across the middle by Hall of Fame linebackers Jack Lambert and Jack Ham. But even the two Jacks, building blocks of a four Super Bowl-championship dynasty, never took charge of a half to the extent that Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison did on a Monday night last fall against the Baltimore Ravens. Harrison was an angry man among boys, forcing three fumbles and recovering another, pummeling quarterback Steve McNair three times and intercepting one of his passes. Those turnovers led to 21 Steelers points as Pittsburgh built a 35-0 lead after two quarters en route to a 38-7 victory. And Harrison was wreaking all that havoc despite lining up opposite the Ravens' All-Pro left tackle, Jonathan Ogden.

A fellow linebacker said later, "You only see something like that when you're playing a video game."

On Sunday, it's Harrison who will be officially welcoming Texans rookie left tackle Duane Brown to the NFL. Texans coach Gary Kubiak was asked if his top draft choice, who had a surprisingly trouble-free indoctrination to the ways of pro football during the less-intense preseason, might have a few growing pains ahead of him.

"I bet he does," Kubiak said. "But he's been a rock. He works. He does his job, and he's gotten better every week. This will be the ultimate challenge. He's got to go through these things to become a big-time player."

Brown has shown he deserves to be the starter — "He's our best guy," Kubiak says - so into the breach he must be thrown, charged with protecting quarterback Matt Schaub against a man who can some days be, as the Ravens will attest, a force of nature.

A complication is Pittsburgh's 3-4 defensive set, something Brown rarely saw in college. Knowing the Steelers loomed first on the schedule followed by the Ravens, who also use the 3-4, the Texans have shown the set frequently during pre-season practice.

Source: Houston Chronicle

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Can Texans' Rookie LT handle Harrison?

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:56 am

Taken from my subject line in my response:

"Re: Can Texans' Rookie LT handle Harrison?"

Answer: Of course not.

Article irrelevant.

NEXT! :sufu:

*ahem*

:sudancin:

1-0 GoodGuyz

PS - This is what some of the alphabet would look like if "Q" and "R" were eliminated. --Mitch Hedberg (RIP)

*******_-_SCROLL_-_*******

{* - I bet you just said "el-ehm-in-know" in your head. FAIL! :sucope: }

We need an emoticon with a dude like "Turn Back" guy :turnback:, But with the print "NEXT!" on it. I woulda used it here. )

Oh yeah... I move that this thread be moved to the "Suggestions" part of the world. You put up a LOT of good articles, Sir hammer... But I think this was only started to slobber all over Sir Silverback's monkey balls because he's such a bad-mofo. Short story long... (/sarcasm) I'm a Harrison homer too.

In my Harrison-homerland, I've envisioned a 3-sack day for Sir Hairlessness. (FWIW, I've TRIEEEED to envison a BIG day for Woodley too, but as long as Winston starts... I'uno. That's a LOOOOT of dude. He's a west-Texas Midland Lee corn-fed Bubba. Listed at 6'7" 310 lbs.)

From http://www.houstontexans.com/team/player.asp?player_id=210#career_stats

"2007: One of three Texans offensive linemen to start all 16 games…the Texans offensive line reduced the number of sacks allowed by 21 from 2006 to 2007, going from 43 a year ago to just 22 this season…the 21-sack decrease from 2006 to 2007 is the third-best improvement for any line in the NFL"

For another day I suppose, Woodley.

*ahem* Sidetracked.

NEXT! :sufu: :celebrate: :sufu:

Return to Stillers Talk