Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Colbert's Awful Off-Season F.A. Signings

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Colbert's Awful Off-Season F.A. Signings

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:39 am

Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert's bad Drafts of the last several years have been well documented here, especially his knack for reaching for picks; I.E. Mike Adams, Archer, Landry Jones, etc.

But after yet another shit-fest yesterday, I got to thinking about his "big" free-agent signings from this past off-season;

-WR Lance Moore

-NT Cam Thomas

-LB Arthur Moats

-CB Bryce McCain

-WR Darius Heyward-Bey

-and last and certainly least, FS Mike Mitchell

Try to contain your laughter. To think the biggest one to contribute was kicked off the team for being an asshole, and was subsequently "punished" by being picked up by one of The NFL's best teams.

If Doltbert, along with the entire coaching staff, isn't on the hot seat right now, I don't want to hear anymore shit from this organization about "the standard" or "The Steelers Way" ever again. Those are just hollow, meaningless catch phrases at this point. :sufu:

Practice Squad

Re: Colbert's Awful Off-Season F.A. Signings

Postby chucktownsteeler » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:06 pm

I couldn't agree more.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby bubbybrister » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:56 pm

Let's not forget the resigning of Ike or the contract extension to Cortez Allen.

Practice Squad

Postby Matthew1516 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:47 pm

Nor should we forget how successful we are at re-tooling in the draft. :no:

But to be fair, Bryant is a productive player. The jury is still out on Tuitt, but maybe he steps up. McCullers has shown to be serviceable, and we might get lucky. Shazier is fast approaching bustville, already populated by the rest of his draft class and numerous recent Steeler draft picks. A middle linebacker should not take this long to get back on the field for this kind of injury.

Could it be that this draft is even worse than the last two. And not one starter in the defensive backfield drafted in years. :suahhbs:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:12 am

Matthew1516 wrote:Nor should we forget how successful we are at re-tooling in the draft. :no:

But to be fair, Bryant is a productive player. The jury is still out on Tuitt, but maybe he steps up. McCullers has shown to be serviceable, and we might get lucky. Shazier is fast approaching bustville, already populated by the rest of his draft class and numerous recent Steeler draft picks. A middle linebacker should not take this long to get back on the field for this kind of injury.

Could it be that this draft is even worse than the last two. And not one starter in the defensive backfield drafted in years. :suahhbs:

Bell has been his only saving grace of the past couple of drafts, maybe more.

He was selecting players in the past 2-3 drafts like they were luxury picks instead of trying to fill much needed areas. I'm beyond sick and tired of he and Dumblin being allowed to coast on reputation due to past history. Good-Great teams NEVER rest on their laurels like this one has.

Practice Squad

Postby chucktownsteeler » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:54 am

The drafts and FA have been horrible, no doubt. Jones and Shazier now both look like they lack heart. Injuries occurr in the NFL, yes. But it seems like these guys should have been back on the field by now.

I am no Ike ball washer, but he was hurt the same game (he's much older) with a broken forearm no less and is back.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:24 am

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... 8-8-finish
Article worth a look. Where have I heard some of this stuff before? Hmmm..... oh here on this forum. You guys are on it!

Practice Squad

Postby Matthew1516 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:22 pm

I think we can honestly say that Bell, Pouncey, Decastro and Timmons have been good picks over the years. Maybe Wallace too, to be fair, even with is deficiencies, since he is a legitimate starter in this league. And I have turned the corner on Heyward -- he's a legitimate starter. Other than that, rounds 1-5 have been a disaster for the Steelers under Tomlin. Obviously Brown was a fantastic find in the sixth round, but that was pure luck.

Think about it this way -- Tomlin has not drafted a single defensive player who has made a pro bowl. Not one. Frankly, that's hard to do in that many years, especially on a team that takes pride in its defensive heritage. Pathetic, really.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:43 am

I thought the Steelers were going to be in trouble when Cowher's players began aging out of the league. Say what you will about Cowher, but he knew NFL level talent. When Roethelisburger is gone? Jesus this team is going to look like the Washington Redskins if it keeps Tomlin and Colbert making the player decisions.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:39 am

“If you give up big plays, you better get a few of your own,” coach Mike Tomlin said on Tuesday. “We didn't complement ourselves in all three phases.”

With that kind of wisdom and insight, how could we possibly be an 8-8 team?

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:14 am

Never been a Colbert fan.
Never understood why the Rooney's looked to Detroit for a personnel guy. :?

Return to Stillers Talk